Official GIGABYTE Forum

P55M-UD2 and G.Skill Ripjaws not playing nice - which to RMA?

P55M-UD2 and G.Skill Ripjaws not playing nice - which to RMA?
« on: January 10, 2010, 01:25:12 am »
Hi all,

I'd greatly appreciate some advice. I've just built a PC around a P55M-UD2 with a 2 x 2gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 set. Other posters in this forum seem to have had this exact combination and have recommended it as stable. The other components are:

Core i5 750
Seasonic M12 II 500W
MSI 320MB 8800GTS OC (only part salvaged from previous PC)
1TB Samsung HDD F3

I'm getting lots of BSODs and application crashes, particularly if I try to run both memory modules,less so but still significantly when running only one module. Changing the memory configuration tends to stave off the problem for a boot or two. Memtest and the Windows 7 memory diagnostic tools tend not to find errors when there's only one module inserted, but occasionally (but not always) reports errors when both are installed. The BIOS reports the memory running at 1333Mhz 9-9-9-24. I changed the memory default from 'Turbo' to 'Standard', which may have slightly improved stability, but definitely not to a tolerable standard.

The RAM and motherboard were bought from different stores, neither of which are known for great customer service or smooth RMAs, so saving those dollars might be coming back to haunt me. Any advice on what I could try, or which part I should try to RMA first would be great.

Many thanks.

cpharris

Re: P55M-UD2 and G.Skill Ripjaws not playing nice - which to RMA?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 09:27:01 pm »
What are the memory timings of the G.Skill Ram? Have you updated the BIOS to F5 or F6?

For example I have 2x2gb G.Skill RipJaws 1600MHz 7-7-7-24 2T, 1.6V.

In the BIOS, I set optimised defaults (which runs the memory at 1333MHz), and under 'Advanced Memory Settings' changed: DRAM Timing Selectable to [Quick] - This applies the ram timing settings to both Channel A and Channel B.

Then under 'Channel A Timings Settings', changed the first four timings to 7, 7, 7, 24 and Command Rate to 2T.

I left all the voltages on AUTO, which gives about 1.58V DRAM Voltage. Seeing as it's only running at 1333MHz, this is stable for me.

If I want to, I can overclock my CPU and run the memory at 1600MHz (using the XMP profile), but I don't have any want or need to overclock for now.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 09:58:57 am »
Thanks so much for the advice and info cpharris.

I initially tried your timings, but that barely booted and all my apps hung and crashed, and then promptly BSODed.

But then I checked my bios version - I can't believe I hadn't tried flashing the bios yet - it was only f4, so I've now updated to f6. Left it on the 9-9-9-24 timings, so far has booted and all seems to be working, but it usually does for a day or two before going south.

So much appreciated for the advice, will  post after giving it time.

cpharris

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 03:16:18 pm »
Yeah, different sets of RAM will be rated for different timings. 7-7-7-24 is pretty fast for 1600MHz Ram, most are 8-8-8 or 9-9-9, etc...

You should have a sticker on your ram which gives the rated timings if you're not sure what they are.

Hopefully the BIOS update works for you :)

cpharris

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 03:19:30 pm »
Also, whilst the AUTO settings are pretty fail-safe, G.Skill usually recommends a Command Rate of 2T.
If I remember, the AUTO setting on the P55M-UD2 will set this to 1T, which can contribute to instability.
See how it goes on AUTO, and if it plays up just set the command rate to 2T... if it's still playing up we can go from there!

Chris

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 10:52:53 am »
Thanks again cpharris,

With the latest BIOS, and changing the Command Rate from 1 to 2, my system is still unstable with both modules installed - application crashes and BSODs. It has improved it though, with one module only it is now stable I believe.

I also tried enabling XMP but that was disastrous - it ran the memory at 1600Mhz and errors showed up in the first percent of the Win 7 memory diagnostic test. The DRAM voltage is 1.56V, by the way. There are a couple of other voltage settings in the BIOS under the headings CPU and MCH/ICH, but I don't know what the different settings are and what voltages they should be at.

Thanks for all your help, unless you've got any other ideas, I'll RMA the memory.

Thanks,
Adelaidian.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 05:31:16 am »
Developments are:

I sent the RAM back to the store. They tested it with Memtest for a couple of hours, and concluded there was nothing wrong with it. While I waited, I bought a 2GB Kingston 1333Mhz stick, which so far is working fine. If it keeps working, I think I'll just live with that for now and try and sell the G.Skill on eBay.

Thanks again to cpharris for your help.