Official GIGABYTE Forum

P55A-UD4P reporting 8GB as 4GB

P55A-UD4P reporting 8GB as 4GB
« on: February 01, 2010, 09:40:22 pm »
I am having above problem.  My MO is P55A-UD4P.  I have 2X 4GB dual channel RAM; Win 7 recognizes the 4 GB but reads it is using only 2GB.  When I add 2 single channel 1GB, it reads that I have only 3 GB in use.  I put the dual channel (from left to right) in the 2nd and 4th slots.  At that point I get to use 2 GB only.  When I add 2 X 1 GB, single channel to the first and fourth slots (from left to right), it give me 3GB only.
Any help would be appreciated.  I am using Win 7, 64-bit Home Premium.

update:

I have discovered that the first two RAM slots on my board are not reading the RAM in it.  The second two slots are fine.  That's why when I put in six gigs of RAM, I am only able to use three.  All RAM has been tested and is fine.  Is there a way to turn on the first two slots (on the left, facing the MOBO. Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 04:48:17 pm by runn3R »

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
Re: P55A-UD4P reporting 8GB as 4GB
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 05:21:21 pm »
Hi

First try to upgrade BIOS into ver. F7 as it improves memory compatibility. You can download the file from:
http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=BIOS&FileID=15550
For upgrade use Q-Flash utility inside your BIOS setup, see the guide at:
http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/FileList/NewTech/old_motherboard_newtech/flashbios_qflash.pdf

Is the limitation seen only in Windows 7 (like described here) or also at the first boot screen (POST) of the MB?

What happens when you put only 1 module into DDR3-1 or DDR3-2 ? No boot at all (black screen, some beeps)?

ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 05:37:19 pm »
I have to leave but I'll try what you suggest when I return.  The system beeps and shuts down when I use only the first two slots.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 09:08:10 pm »
I updated the BIOS firmware.  It went flawlessly.  But it didn't change the memory problem.
To answer your questions, when I boot the post reads that it is using 3 gigs instead of the 6 gigs that I have installed.  Windows 7 also reports that I have 6 gigs but only 3 gigs is "usable," just as you snipped and linked in your last post to me.
This has become very frustrating.  It appears to me that the first two slots (from left to right) are defective.  I have been waiting five days now to get an answer.  Should I request an RMA?  The BIOS recognizes only one of my two dual-channel DDR3 sticks and, therefore, it doesn't double the bandwidth as it should--were it to recognize the other dual-channel stick I have inserted into DDR3-1.
Again, I appreciate any help you can provide--one way or the other.
Bill
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 11:55:42 pm by palavering »

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 09:59:14 am »
Hello,

I have the exact same issue - 8GB is reported as 4GB. After googling around, some solutions were 1)reseat CPU 2)check Win7 msconfig-boot-advanced-max memory setting 3)test each ram stick individually to eliminate RAM as problem. I have done all that and no dice. I dont think my case is Win issue as POST reports 4gigs. In bios, all 4x2gb sticks are recognized, but only 2x2gb are listed as usable.

Win7 Prof x64
i5 750
DDR3 2x2GB XMS3-1600C8 Corsair x2
Bios updated to F7.

Im guessing i just have to wait another bios update :(

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 03:56:27 pm »
Does this mean that I must suffer the defective board until Gigabyte decides to redeem itself?  I would like some sort of answer.  I've got a lot of money tied up in this PC and, of course, I'd like to see it perform at maximum.  I have fulfilled my end of the bargain, and I paid the asking price.  Gigabyte has made its profit, and now I must wait days at a time to get an answer.  This is very poor support. 
If my words appear to be out of anger and frustration--they are!

Beekeeper

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 06:05:07 pm »
check required voltage for your ram and set it in the bios accordingly.
try with different ram vendor, in case you have some "extreme" ram type.

another suggestion - check the cpu socket for bent pins:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/269631-12-allowing#t1871384

Gigabyte has made its profit, and now I must wait days at a time to get an answer.  This is very poor support.  
If my words appear to be out of anger and frustration--they are!

sorry mate it's only open forum where gigabyte users can help each other, you can't push anybody and require fast replies. if someone knows the answer and is willing to tell you - he will do it for sure. :)
for gigabyte tech support you can contact http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/ServiceCenter.aspx

btw - your dealer also made his profit ;D, why don't you ask him instead (also)?

if you are in such a hurry and no solution offered above by different ppl helps then go to the dealer and ask for warranty claim
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 08:32:56 pm »
I thought this site was operated by professionals.  I didn't know that it was operated by other members just like me.  I'm sorry.
My vendor is ready to give me an RMA, but that means I have to dismount the Fan and Itel CPU, which can get tricky for anyone.  Sometimes it causes the cpu to fail permanently.  So, I'd like to find a workaround solution, if possible.
Thanks to all of those who replied.  I am grateful.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 05:32:29 pm »
What I don't understand is how Gigabyte can offer for sale a board that is defective--or so fragile that it is likely to fail in one area or another.  Perhaps someone here can help me to understand why we pay money for inferior or defective products?

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 02:08:05 pm »
I thought this site was operated by professionals.  I didn't know that it was operated by other members just like me.  I'm sorry.

This site is operated by all - I mean GIGABYTE users, while some of them work for GIGABYTE (like me :)).

My vendor is ready to give me an RMA, but that means I have to dismount the Fan and Itel CPU, which can get tricky for anyone.  Sometimes it causes the cpu to fail permanently.

Never heard that it caused CPU's failure. If it seems to be too complicated to dismount then read the manual (pages 12-15) or ask your dealer for help.

So, I'd like to find a workaround solution, if possible.
Thanks to all of those who replied.  I am grateful.

My colleague from the other country had the same problem and it appeared that it was due the pins of the cpu socket were bent. So please check them well, as it was also suggested by Beekeeper before.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 02:15:57 pm by runn3R »
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 03:45:41 pm »
Not only did I check the pins, but I found someone close by with a Gigabyte board, and I asked if I could use my CPU in his board to test it.  It didn't work in his MOBO, but neither did his CPU--the same as mine.  Moreover, it seems almost impossible to bend the "pins," as the CPU can only beinserted one way.  Also, these "pins" appear less than fragile.  I have contacted Gigabyte directly.  Thanks to all.  BTW, I have found testimonials all over the Internet referring to this problem.  It is a frequent and persistent problem, with no solution available.  Google or Bing it and you'll see how ubiquitous it is!

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 03:37:35 pm »
Not only did I check the pins, but I found someone close by with a Gigabyte board, and I asked if I could use my CPU in his board to test it.  It didn't work in his MOBO, but neither did his CPU--the same as mine.  Moreover, it seems almost impossible to bend the "pins," as the CPU can only beinserted one way.  Also, these "pins" appear less than fragile.  I have contacted Gigabyte directly.  Thanks to all.  BTW, I have found testimonials all over the Internet referring to this problem.  It is a frequent and persistent problem, with no solution available.  Google or Bing it and you'll see how ubiquitous it is!

Interesting

Are you perhaps referring to the P55 gbt BOARD THAT uses the Foxconn socket?

This usually only affected those whom were OCing to a high degree and using Sub-zero cooling! A number of board manu's switched over to the much higher quality 'LOTES' socket with much more improved results and fitting. The LOTES socket give a MCUH tighter feel when clamped down than the foxconn socket. This is not GBT fault rather an issue with foxconn. Contacting my friend whom works for FAE  at foxconn confirmed this issue!

I know it does not get around your problem, but it does give you a background of the p55 boards socket!

gilgamesh
www.overclockerstech.com , for the best in PC water cooling and hardware news

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 06:15:26 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I contacted by email Gigabyte tech support.  It has been a week now, and they have yet to open my email.  Each time I check the site, it informs me that they haven't even read the email!  This is not good.  Without good support, hoiw can I recommend any PC vendor?

UD6

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 04:59:52 am »
This is not GBT fault rather an issue with foxconn. Contacting my friend whom works for FAE  at foxconn confirmed this issue!
gilgamesh

Since most parts are not from Gigabyte they are never at fault. But perhaps they should have tested their combination of the parts in a better way before they take our money. It is up to them what components they use and also their responsibility.

Not even their software works - ever tried DES2 on WinXP SP3? A total chaos with the C states.  Does not even uninstall correctly. The support told me that it is not a good idea to use this software with the colorful buttons anyway. It is meant for people who do not understand computers much - their words.

Honestly, if I did not need my computer so badly this MBO would not be here anymore (GA-P55-UD6).

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 06:45:41 am »
Well, I finally heard from Gigabyte this evening.  Their advice:  you must use white dimms first.  No kidding.  Then they offered to send me to the site where I can get an RMA.  Of course, I have to pay for shipping both ways; in addition, they are in California.  So, my guess is I'll have a long wait for another MOBO.  I had to wait for a week to get a reply from my original email.  No thanks, Gigabyte.  I've learned my lesson well.  And the support here by Gigabyte employees is just as bad.  I've heard all the excuses that I want to hear.  So, if you're like me (and there are many of you with the same problem), make this a lesson learned.