Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z87X-OC with Xeon Phi 5110P

GA-Z87X-OC with Xeon Phi 5110P
« on: July 12, 2013, 02:35:49 pm »
Hi,

I initially wrote the below as a support request to Gigabyte, which is still pending a response from them.  I figured I'd bring this up on the forum as well.

When trying Xeon Phi 5110P (with a 12K RPM cooling fan intended for 1U chassis added right onto the Xeon Phi card) in GA-Z87X-OC (rev. 1.0, BIOS F5q), even as the only PCIe card, we're no longer getting video output (neither onboard, nor from PCIe VGA cards when we try adding those) and the OS doesn't start to boot, even though the motherboard's 7-segment LEDs indicate that it's about to boot the OS (code "AD").  We've already tried all four PCIe x16 slots.

Does this motherboard/BIOS support Intel Xeon Phi (5110P in our case, although we understand that normally only the actively-cooled 3120A is to be installed in non-servers)?

Does this motherboard/BIOS support "above 4G decoding for PCI 64-bit resources", as required for Xeon Phi?  If not currently, then is this something Gigabyte may/will address with a BIOS update, and when?

Any advice on BIOS setting changes to support Xeon Phi?  e.g. maybe we're simply getting a conflict with some onboard PCI device, which we may disable?

What other Gigabyte motherboards support Xeon Phi (or non-Gigabyte as well, if that's acceptable for this forum)?  Are there any that also support current Haswell CPUs (socket 1150)?  Ideally, we'd have both Haswell and Phi in the same machine.  Apparently, e.g. GA-7PESH3 does support Xeon Phi, but we'd need to move to E5-2600's then, which we don't want to for this machine.

We'd appreciate any information and advice.  We're experimenting with this system now, so a prompt response would be very helpful (even if addressing just one of the questions above).

Here are some pictures on our attempt at cooling the 5110P and putting it (along with AMD Radeon HD 7990 and NVIDIA GTX TITAN) into this desktop'ish motherboard: http://openwall.info/wiki/internal/xeon_phi (the GPUs appear to work fine, but like I said we tried removing them as well).

Thanks,
Alexander