Official GIGABYTE Forum

After BIOS update, I get "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly"

After BIOS update, I get "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly"
« on: September 21, 2013, 07:04:20 am »
Hello guys,

I'm using the RTM version of Windows 8.1. Until this morning, I've the F18 version of the BIOS for my Gigabyte Z77 D3H mainboard. This morning I've upgraded the BIOS, using @BIOS utility installed under Windows. I reboot the PC, without any problem.

But now Windows shows me the message "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly", bottom-right to the desktop. I see into the BIOS, but I don't see any explicit option related to SecureBoot. I don't find where I can enable/disable it.

Any help, please? ???
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:14:53 am by IgorDamiani »

edeath

Re: After BIOS update, I get "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly"
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 10:45:51 pm »
Hi I had the same issue in Win 8.1 RTM when I updated from F18 to F21 on my Z77-D3H and have repaired it.

You need to go into advanced mode in the bios and go to Bios Features. Where it says Operating System you need to choose Windows 8 and it will then show Secure Boot Options below. Enable secure boot and restart.

If this doesn't repair the issue then go back into the BIOS and change Secure Boot mode from Standard to Custom. In the Custom settings that then appear choose load default keys/settings (The top option - sorry not 100% on exact wording.) You can then set the Secure Boot mode back to standard and reboot.

This should hopefully do the trick. When I was trying to work this out the extra settings wouldn't always come up straight away when you change the OS or Secure boot settings without clicking out of Bios Features and back in.

Gigabyte really need to release a new manual as the current one is of the F15 bios which has far fewer features than the newer bios such is secure boot and Intel Smart Connect etc....

Ed
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:51:19 pm by edeath »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 05:14:23 am »
I'm not trying to tell any body how to run their computer. Most people think this secure boot thing is the greatest thing that came down the pike.

You better step back and really look at it before you jump for it. This is a big scam from Microsoft to control what you want to load on your computer.

Isn't the bios update F21 to help Improve system stability. Where does it say that it will trigger Microsoft to tell you that "Secure Boot isn't configured correctly"

People better do some research on this before jumping into this new feature.

X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 12:26:57 pm »
Hi I had the same issue in Win 8.1 RTM when I updated from F18 to F21 on my Z77-D3H and have repaired it.

You need to go into advanced mode in the bios and go to Bios Features. Where it says Operating System you need to choose Windows 8 and it will then show Secure Boot Options below. Enable secure boot and restart.

If this doesn't repair the issue then go back into the BIOS and change Secure Boot mode from Standard to Custom. In the Custom settings that then appear choose load default keys/settings (The top option - sorry not 100% on exact wording.) You can then set the Secure Boot mode back to standard and reboot.

This should hopefully do the trick. When I was trying to work this out the extra settings wouldn't always come up straight away when you change the OS or Secure boot settings without clicking out of Bios Features and back in.

Gigabyte really need to release a new manual as the current one is of the F15 bios which has far fewer features than the newer bios such is secure boot and Intel Smart Connect etc....

Ed

I have the same issue, after updating my Z77-D3H to F21, and upgrading to Windows 8.1 RTM.

Disabling secure boot in BIOS makes no difference - as long as Windows detects a GPT partition then it seems happy to display the secure boot watermark.

I then tried enabling secure boot (custom) and loading the default keys, but my system wouldn't even POST then. After pulling the CMOS battery I could at least get into the BIOS again and set everything back up. I didn't set secure boot mode back to standard though, so will try that later.

dmdilks - I take your point about not jumping into new features without researching them first, but personally (and I suspect many other people would say the same) I just want to get rid of the stupid watermark. I don't really care how I achieve it, or whether I can actually use secure boot or not.

dmdilks

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 02:30:25 pm »
I'm going to ask if any one of you were having a problem. Before you updated your bios. Or did you see that the board had a update and you did it.

If you were not having a problem before this go back to the older bios. Wait till they fix this so it is easier to configure.   
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 04:10:28 pm »
yes, I've got the same situation described by dannyboy. If I try to activate SecureBoot and loading default keys, the system stops working. The BIOS maybe enters in an invalid configuration, because the Gigabyte POST screen doesn't appear and obviously Windows doesn't boot. So I turn off the system, disconnected the power supply, and I use CLEAR CMOS pin on the mainboard to restore a default BIOS configuration.

You're right, dmdilks, but my goal was to simply update my BIOS to get improved performance. But maybe F21 version of the BIOS forces you to use SecureBoot.

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 04:24:38 pm »
dmdilks- I upgraded from F18 because I was upgrading from Windows 7 to 8.1, and was under the impression (rightly or wrongly) that F18 wasn't 100% compatible with Windows 8 booting in UEFI. It wasn't just a case of doing the BIOS update simply because it was there.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 04:25:58 pm by dannyboy »

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 04:48:50 pm »
dmdilks, I dont' want to be polemic, but if I follow your reasoning, I should continue to use Windows XP, or 7, using old drivers for my devices, and so on! :-)))

If you see the release notes for the F21 version of the BIOS, you see "1.Improve system stability", nothing about SecureBoot.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4327#bios

So I decide to update the BIOS, because newer version is better than the older one. If I had read something about SecureBoot, certainly I would have gone more cautious.

Sorry for my English, I'm Italian! :-))

dmdilks

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 06:55:26 pm »
Just the other day I install 8.1 rtm on my spare Ga-x79-ud3. I didn't have to update the bios to get it to work. You don't need UEFI for it to work.

I have installed windows 8 on many computers old, new, and what ever. I have not had to update the bios on any of them to get it to work.

Windows 8 & 8.1 system requirements are the same.

Processor  1GHz or faster
RAM  1GB (32bit) or 2GB (64bit)
Hard disk space  16GB (32bit) or 20GB (64bit)
Graphics card  Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device or higher

(This has been there from the start of windows 8.)
Secure boot requires firmware that supports UEFI v2.3.1 Errata B and has the Microsoft Windows Certification Authority in the UEFI signature database

All I'm saying is that you don't have to jump through hoops to get it to work. The MB companies and Microsoft are bending us over to try to control want we can and can't put on our computers. With this secure boot thing.

There is a lot of people out there that are piss off about this one. Microsoft has shot one foot off with 8. This is going to shoot the other one off.

@IgorDamiani

Sometimes newer isn't better. I have a saying I go by: If isn't broke don't fix it
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 07:00:32 pm by dmdilks »

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 04:09:43 am »
This problems arises because your Graphics Card is not UEFI compatible or it doesn't have a proper bios with UEFI support installed.
I have this problem as of now.
Secureboot Enabled + HD4870 = System won't boot or show anything on screen.
Secureboot Disabled + HD4870 = System boot with watermark.

Secureboot Enabled + Intel HD Graphics  (form i7 3770) = System boot perfectly without watermark.

So, you need to flash an UEFI bios for your card or get a new gpu that suppoert it, right now I just learned this so I will google for a while to find out if I can have a uefi bios on my gpu or wait until the next gen amd cards to upgrade.

ALSO, OTHER MOTHERBOARDS VENDORS SHOW A WARNING AT BIOS IF YOUR GPU IS UEFI CAPABLE OR DON'T, BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGE, GIGABYTE INSTEAD JUST LET YOU CHANGE THIS AND SHOW BLANK SCREEN IF THE PROBLEM ARISE WITHOUT ANY WARNING.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 04:21:48 am by Horacio »

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 11:13:40 am »
Very interesting news, Horacio.

I've a ATI Radeon HD6870. So, the firmware of this graphics card doesn't support UEFI? Uhm Uhm, very strange.
So, I need that all my devices are UEFI compatible?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 11:14:40 am by IgorDamiani »

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 08:29:14 pm »
Ok guys I had this issue happened on my board when I enabled secure boot without know my gpu isn't compatible with it.  Now when I go to clear the cmos with the jumper pins my keyboard and mouse come back on but my monitor doesn't display anything.  I have tried dvi and hdmi cable and even intergrated as well.  You guys have any ideas or insight?

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 11:53:45 am »
Ok guys I had this issue happened on my board when I enabled secure boot without know my gpu isn't compatible with it.  Now when I go to clear the cmos with the jumper pins my keyboard and mouse come back on but my monitor doesn't display anything.  I have tried dvi and hdmi cable and even intergrated as well.  You guys have any ideas or insight?

While trying to get rid of the secure boot watermark, I installed the default secure keys, only to then get the same problem as you - blank screen, no POST, nothing. The only way I could get my PC to boot again was as follows:

1) Disconnect PC from AC power, and remove the CMOS battery AND PCI-E graphics card.
2) Reinsert CMOS battery after a couple of minutes, but not graphics card.
3) Connect monitor cable to the integrated DVI (or VGA) port, then power up the PC.
4) It will boot into BIOS and ask whether to load defaults or enter BIOS. Choose the latter.
5) In BIOS, disable secure boot and save settings. Don't change any other BIOS settings yet though, otherwise it will go back to blank screen again.
6) After BIOS has saved and rebooted, you can power off PC and reinsert your graphics card.
7) Power PC on again and enter BIOS to set up remaining configuration options as required.

I know it seems a long-winded procedure, but this is what works for me. I've done it several times now while playing around with the secure boot stuff.

dmdilks

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 09:28:34 pm »
Why is any body playing around with this? Can any body can tell me why you need this?

The only people that are telling you need this is Microsoft and WHY? Go ask the Linux people if they like.

By what I'm reading is that if you want to dual boot you are going to run into problems.

If you want to install some software on you computer you might have a problem. Like I said another post.

I have been around computers from the early 80's and I wouldn't touch this one with a 10 ft pole.

There is like 22 pages on this on the web search that people are having problems with this.

It might not be a bad thing, but is not really a good thing either. Plus I have certified my MB so Microsoft 8.1 will run on it

This has to be the biggest joke so far with Microsoft. Let see here I have a computer that is running fine with Win 7.

I want to install Windows 8.1 and now the computer that was running fine. Now I have to jump through hoops to get it to run now.

This is a bunch of crap that my video doesn't meet Microsoft certifications. That is one of the problems why my SecureBoot isn't configured correctly.

I'm just sitting here falling my chair laughing at Microsoft and what they are trying to pull here.   

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 09:55:34 pm »
Why is any body playing around with this? Can any body can tell me why you need this?

Like I've already said, I upgraded to Win 8.1 and now have the stupid 'secure boot' watermark. Personally I couldn't give a rat's ass if I actually use secure boot or not, I just want to get rid of the damn watermark. And before you say it, yes I know I don't have to boot Windows in UEFI mode - but, in my case, booting in UEFI vs. legacy mode is the difference between boot taking 15 seconds and 45 seconds. So I'd prefer to boot my SSD in UEFI mode.