Official GIGABYTE Forum

G1 Sniper M5 sound issue

G1 Sniper M5 sound issue
« on: March 06, 2014, 12:31:15 am »
Hi,

I have just built a new PC with the Gigabyte G1 Sniper M5 Z87 1150 motherboard and I have a strange sound issue.

Occasionally I've found it to boot with no sound at all, and shutting down and starting up again fixes it. I'm dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 13.10 and this often happens when rebooting from Ubuntu to Windows without shutting down. There is no sound at all in Ubuntu as the sound card is not supported  :(

More commonly when just booting to Windows however, I find the sound is kind of muffled and weird sounding. Sounds are tinny and voices can barely be heard, almost like it's set to surround sound with sound coming through only one channel. Sometimes it's like this when booting, other times after launching a game or something.

To fix this weirdly I have to turn the volume right up to max and back down and suddenly it jumps back to normal.

Any one else had this issue and is there any way this could be a hardware problem? I'm thinking it is most likely driver related but I can't be sure.

rmdec

Re: G1 Sniper M5 sound issue
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 12:26:30 am »
Yes I have almost this exact issue. I have not found a reason why this happens. I am only booting into windows 7. The tin sound frequently happens for me if I have multiple sound applications and usually skype or some voice program open. And it won't stop until I shut them all off then flip the audio on and off. The nosound I just have to shutdown+powerup (restart doesn't work). It's very hard to determine if its a hardware or firmware issue or both.

Re: G1 Sniper M5 sound issue
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 03:47:14 pm »
Hi rmdec, it sure is confusing!

I take it you are running the F7 version of the BIOS?

I haven't really made any progress since my first post. All I know is that if I use the audio port on the back marked with the line out symbol instead of the one highlighted with the speaker and headphone icons I no longer get the issues described above. This only works for speakers and not headphones though as this port is unamplified, and of course the headphone port on the front panel still has the original issues.

Interestingly although it doesn't affect you, the line out port on the back works in Ubuntu!

The next thing I'll try is replacing the op amp with the spare one the motherboard came with. If that doesn't sort it I may replace the motherboard entirely, probably with a different model though.