Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-EX58-UD5 Problem installing Windows 7 - 'a cd/dvd device driver is missing'

lemmy

Hi,
I'm having lots of problems trying to install Windows 7. I'm getting the well-known error 'a cd/dvd device driver is missing'. The strange thing is I'm installing from a USB stick.
I will have the original Windows disk again next week and try the install using that - but are there any solutions I might try in the meantime?

I have 2 Samsung Sata HDs, on Master Channel 0  and Master Channel 1. Not RAID.
I have one IDE HD set as Master.
No internal CD or DVD drive.
I've tried browsing through the Gigabyte CD for drivers when prompted, without success.

GA-EX58-UD5
Corsair 6GB XMS3 DDR3
Sparkle GeForce 9800GT
Emu 1212M PCI sound card

I have bootable Win XP on my Samsung drive at Master Channel 1.If I try to run the setup.exe from there, the install fails, and rewinds the install back to XP.

Thanks for any ideas.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
This problem has come up before and I haven't noticed a good work around posted here. The error doesn't seem to appear if using an Original Windows disc but copying onto other media seems to make it raise its head.

Also, it is not just Gigabyte boards that encounter this problem, other manufacturers also have it so I guess it's a Microsoft thing.

A quick Google search using this : "windows 7 install a CD/DVD device driver is missing" came up with a lot of hits. Most related to Burning issues of downloaded or copied discs but it is also an issue with some USB installs.

If you can get your original disc back, you will most probably find that this error is not encountered when you install from that.

Sorry not to be able to help further but, as I said, I have yet to find a reliable workaround for this problem. :'(
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

lemmy

Thanks,
Left my disc at the office but I'll try it next week and will post back here if it works. If not I might be stuck on XP :/

lemmy

Actually, I've just realised that one of my memory sticks isn't working. At post I just get 4193280K showing, but I have 3x2GB (Corsair XMS 3 DDR3). I've found a single stick isn't showing up, no matter what slot I put it in.
Do I need to set the timings in BIOS? Or is it likely just a dud?
I wonder if this has anything to do with the errors I've been getting on Win 7 install? I was getting regular memory errors on XP at one point too.

absic

• Bandcamp
If the stick isn't showing in any of the slots it sounds very much like a bad stick. Timings, voltage etc., are set in BIOS using the M.I.T section and if you check you will most probably find that these need to me manually adjusted.

Have you tried re-installing windows 7 with the faulty stick out of the system?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

lemmy

Just tried again with the dodgy stick taken out. Same issue :(

absic

• Bandcamp
Thought you might. I guess you will have to wait until you get your disc back! :-\

lemmy

Worked OK with the MS disc.