Official GIGABYTE Forum

ga-ex58-ud5 Win7 install problem

ga-ex58-ud5 Win7 install problem
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:29:07 pm »
Hi!
Recently I bougth new hardware to replace my old PC. Unfortunately after puting it all together I couldn't install OS.
I have tried several times, with different disks, BIOS settings, even bought new SATA DVD-rom ( as I figured out my old IDE might be a problem )
Some symptoms:
I boot the PC from original Windows 7 Professional 64bit OEM DVD, When it boots up, it takes quite a long time to show the "Installing Windows 7" window ( about 10+ min ). After pressing "Install Now" button it takes another 5-10 min to get to the license accepting part. Next the HDD choice screen - I have my disk listed. It copies the files in less than a second ( well, at least it says so ) and then, problems begin!
 - During the unpacking of win files it generates an error, that some files might be corrupted or "Windows can;t install required files . File might by damaged or does not exist...." error code: 0x80070570
 - When it finally finish unpacking the files, reboot the pc, and try to install required services ( as it says ) I got the bsod - it surprisingly auto reboot, so I can't even read what it says.
I have tried installing OS from flash drive and got about same results .

When I try formating my HDD from linux boot DVD ( Slackware 64 ) with mkfs.ext2/3/4 I got kernel panic. The linux iso is not corrupted, my DVD-ROM is working fine. The HDD seems to be ok - I have checked it on another PC, running slackware 64 bit ( installed from exactly the same boot DVD that I got kernel panic from ). There is a difference in behavior of the mkfs.ext3 - It sees only about 3k block groups when running on slackware booted from DVD and 7453 block groups on PC.

My hardware:

GA-EX58-UD5
Core i7 920
OCZ 3x2GB 1333 CL7
GeForce 260 GTX SOC ( Gigabyte )
HDD: WD 1001 FALS

HDD is connected to SATA2_0, DVD-ROM to SATA2_5.

I'm not sure is it hardware problem, but for me, and some tech gurus that I have talked to, it seems so. I'll probably post the thread on some Win7 forums to see what they would tell me.
I'm sorry for my language mistakes. I'm not native english speaker, but I hope It is understandable  what I have written.
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:19:02 pm by ghostdog »

Ratty

Re: ga-ex58-ud5 Win7 install problem
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 09:33:49 am »
I have ex58-ud5 (F7 BIOS at install; F10 BIOS now),
Sony Nec Optiarc Sata DVD
WD1001FALS
OCZ3X1333LV6GK OCZ Intel Extreme Edition DDR3 PC-10666 1333MHz (2 sets, 6 x 2GB sticks - 12 GB total)

Installed Windows 7 pro 64 bit.
Installed Debian Lenny 5.0.4 64 bit

I changed some BIOS settings before installing.

AHCI enabled
AHCI native mode
HPET enabled / 64 bit mode
Set my RAM to Profile 1, (1333MHz)

I had no problems with Windows install, (a nice change)
Computer booted real fast from Win 7 Pro (Full - not upgrade or OEM) 64 bit disk

Windows 7 installed fast and easy
Then plugged in the Ethernet cable and went online
Then installed the latest Gigabyte BIOS and Drivers and Windows updates

Re: ga-ex58-ud5 Win7 install problem
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 11:15:48 pm »
I had the same problem with Windows taking a long time to start the Windows 7 install.  I even called Gigabyte support( NOT TOLL FREE :( ) and the moment i got off hold and got through to a tech the Windows 7 install started.  I was cursing the gods for a good 20min.  Try increasing you Core voltage and QPI/VTT voltage a hair.