Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-970A-DS3 boot looping when overclocking

GA-970A-DS3 boot looping when overclocking
« on: June 22, 2014, 07:36:16 am »
For some reason when I disable Core Performance Boost I get a strange cold boot / restart issue, where the PC will power on then off then on then actually boot.

Using the latest FD bios, the board is Rev. 3.0 and my CPU is a FX 6350.

Anyone know how to fix this issue?

Seems a lot of people are having this issue on various Gigabyte mobos..

After a bit of searching, I stumbled upon this..

It's the voltage or temp change after overclock. This is the one reason people put their CPU's into permanent OC mode with an established voltage rather than rely on "Boost" overclocking. Quite often during boot a system will trigger "boost" and the voltage doesn't catch up in time and the system closes down (fails safe).
Generally - current being what it is - and conductivity being what it is - after a couple of goes the extra heat generated equates to that tiny fraction of extra conductivity that makes all the difference and the system boots.
I don't know the established range of voltage for your chip, but when this happens on an old Sandybridge I up the voltage to in the region of 1.28 - 1.3 for a modest overclock and turn off all the BIOS options for "Boost" and force the CPU to run at OC the whole time.
I had this "3 starts" thing last with a 2500k a few months back, once I went to permanent OC from Boost OC and set a standard voltage it never happened again. Temps rarely get to 54 degrees max and most of the time in the mid 30's at 4.4 Ghz

After reading that I'm guessing I should set CPU Vcore to normal instead of auto and go from there?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 08:28:23 am by breakage »

Re: GA-970A-DS3 boot looping when overclocking
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 04:59:13 pm »
Have you tired to recover your BIOS from a Dual Bios? It helped with mine. You press down the power button and keep it pressed. Hold it pressed for 10 seconds. System will power on and power off. Release the power button and press it again as you would normally power on your PC. On the screen there should be a message Bios Is Corrupt... Backing Up... after the back up my board no longer has that boot looping issue.