Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 m.2 Detection Problem?

louisbs

GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 m.2 Detection Problem?
« on: August 24, 2014, 11:49:00 am »
Hi All,

I am having an odd issue with my recent rebuild.. watch this, it is best way to describe it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfzYR85PiVQ

Once detected I get zero issues, until the next day when i go to turn it on again.

I have screwed the m.2 into place and still get the same problem.
Updated the bios to latest
My other 3 SSD's get detected.

Before I go getting replacement parts, does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? Am i missing a bios setting?
Any suggestions & ideas?

Thanks,

Louis

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 11:50:40 am by louisbs »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 m.2 Detection Problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 01:07:12 pm »
Just asking do you have everything in the bios set to boot to Windows 8? Boy they have really change stuff in the bios.

Plus the book is getting worse all the time too. The thing is when you pull out the M.2 and put it back you make a new connection.

Now what is it the M.2 or the board that is losing connection. Have you done any research on that M.2 drive? To see if other people are having problems.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

louisbs

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 01:52:49 pm »
Thanks for responding bud :)

Everything is set to Windows 8.

The troubleshooting section describes exactly what i do lol
http://www.crucial.com/wcsstore/CrucialSAS/pdf/install-guides/ssd/crucial-m2-ssd-install-guide-en.pdf
If drive not detected.. reseat it.
But i need to do that everyday :(
I think i am going to send an email to crucial support about it.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 12:45:42 pm »
Hope I am wrong but you should never turned on the motherboard with the M.2 unscrewed.
The connector do not have all pins connected in that way so some damage in the mobo and/or the M.2 can be expected.

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 04:00:16 pm »
I have exactly the same problem. this is my advice to you is now testing

In most cases the problem can be resolved by switching to the Microsoft drivers. To do this, open the Device Manager (type Device Manager into the search field) and expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

You will see a few entries and if you are using the Intel drivers in AHCI mode, you will see one starting with Intel and containing AHCI, e.g. Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA ACHI Controller

Right click on this and select Update Driver Software..., then select Browse my computer for driver Software. In the next screen select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

In the list under Model, you will see the current Intel driver as well as the Microsoft one, called Standard AHCI1.0 Serial ATA Controller. Select that one and click Next.

The Microsoft driver will now be installed and you will need to do a restart for the changes to take effect.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 07:15:13 am »
I have exactly the same problem. this is my advice to you is now testing

In most cases the problem can be resolved by switching to the Microsoft drivers. To do this, open the Device Manager (type Device Manager into the search field) and expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

You will see a few entries and if you are using the Intel drivers in AHCI mode, you will see one starting with Intel and containing AHCI, e.g. Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA ACHI Controller

Right click on this and select Update Driver Software..., then select Browse my computer for driver Software. In the next screen select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

In the list under Model, you will see the current Intel driver as well as the Microsoft one, called Standard AHCI1.0 Serial ATA Controller. Select that one and click Next.

The Microsoft driver will now be installed and you will need to do a restart for the changes to take effect.

This no help sorry :( I have exactly the same problem. If the problem you resolved, please write here the solution. thank you

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 02:30:06 am »
I am having the exact same problem with you and your YouTube situation is EXACTLY what I get.

I just built my box a few days ago so this was incredibly frustrating for me to experience.

My build is:

•   GA-Z97X-UD5H Black Edition Rev 1.0
•   I7-4790
•   DDR3 2*8GB (Kingston Hyper X)
•   Hard disk AHCI mode in:
•   1 x Crucial M550 CT128M550SSD4 128GB in port M.2
•   1 x BR/DVD drive (can’t remember the port but it was NOT the SATA ports that are 'blocked' when using the M.2 card)
•   Windows 7 Pro SP1

All other drives are removed for this scenario

The bios version was F4 but was upgraded to F6 but still the same issue.

I am looking at a potential solution in this forum:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/58623-ga-z97x-ud5h-bk-sata-issue.html

It looks like updating the BIOS to the F7e Beta may work. I haven’t tried yet as I only just found this out.

The other potential solution is to install Windows 7 x64 in UEFI. Not sure why they discussed this as I thought the F7e beta solution worked but here are the details:

“To install Windows 7 x64 in UEFI (gpt partition drive) the easiest way I've found is to use a USB stick with the Windows install files on it. Then use the boot menu (F12) and select the USB stick. Sometimes I've had to set the bios to boot UEFI only. I use Rufus to format and place the Windows ISO on the USB stick. Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way
HTH. There is lots of places on the internet with helpful information about installing Windows x64.”

I hope this helps and I’ll let you guys know if it works for me as well.

Note: I just noticed in the header that you have a different MoBo from me so please select the correct one for your system from this list:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:55:21 am by DanielH »

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 11:35:16 am »
Updating to the bios F7e worked like a charm for me.

After I installed it,in the bios I could suddenly see not only my crucial M.2 drive appear but also my USB ports as well. Looks like this bios really opened up the boot sequence options for my MoBo. Hopefully the equivalent bios beta update also works for others.

FYI, I have a dual bios MoBo so I switched to my backup to install the beta bios as a just in case but I had no issues.