Official GIGABYTE Forum

GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD: Coil Whine

GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD: Coil Whine
« on: October 10, 2014, 09:09:32 pm »
Hello forum goers,

I'm here today to ask for some help/advice with my new GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD. Under load it has some noticeable coil whine. Can this be fixed with an update, or should I RMA it? (Newegg) I can probably deal with it, I just feel that this should be unacceptable for something I just spent so much money on.

Has anyone else experienced this with their 970 Gaming?

Thanks,

Charlie

Phsy

Re: GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD: Coil Whine
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 09:31:41 pm »
Hi Charlie!

Same annoying noise with same card here. I tried 3DMark it yesterday and it screaming like hell... I read somewhere it can be PSU problem so I will try with a new PSU tomorrow, and will come back with an answer. I hope its not the crap quality capacitors in the card....

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 09:41:30 pm »
Excellent! Thanks for that. Ha and me too, especially after waiting for so long and spending all this money. Would really be unfortunate. I almost kind of wished that this was an isolated event, that way I can just replace it and move on. As I've been looking around it appears to be something common coming across all brands of Maxwell. Hopefully Giga will get back to my ticket soon too, to get some official insight.

EDIT: Well Gigabyte replied to the ticket and told me to make sure it was the card making the sound. So I did, in which they said I should RMA it to my vendor. Sigh... waited so long watching the stock to get mine. Hopefully when I get the replacement it doesn't have whine too =/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 10:27:54 pm by coilcry »

Grumle

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 08:51:04 am »
I got the 980G1 and also had this Coil Whine. Never heard about it before, until i saw this post.

Anyway, do you get this whine also during normal games? I only heard it when trying 3DMark. I haven't tried it again, since normal gameplay seems to not bring forth this horrible hissing orchestra  ;D

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 01:41:14 pm »
I have the G1 970 and it's suffering from coil whine as well. I just need to open Unigine heaven and even before the benchmark, it starts whining and it gets really annoying if I'm without headphones. Will this go away in a couple of days or can I ask for a replacement(if warranty covers it)?

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 02:01:12 am »
I have the same issues, however they just occurred recently. My card, a G1970, suffers from extreme loud coil whine. I was able to deal with the problem by downloading a program called Nvidia Inspector and limiting the frame output of the card to 60 fps. It's silent now and I am now wondering if, by limiting the frames, I am also limiting the power that the card draws from the PSU, which at the same time is reducing the coil whine of the card? If this is the issue, is the coil whine of the card caused by a PSU which can't deliver enough power during load times, or stable power? Would love to get an answer to these questions by someone from Gigabyte, as I am considering RMA'ing the damn thing. However that is something I want to avoid doing, mainly because I am currently situated in Japan.