Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA785GM-US2H w/ ATHLONII X2 240 memory and cpu speed

GA-MA785GM-US2H w/ ATHLONII X2 240 memory and cpu speed
« on: June 08, 2010, 02:24:55 pm »
Just built new machine and am wondering why in post i see my 4 gig of memory put in my computer properties I only see 2.75 gig and also why the
processor shows right but not its speed.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-MA785GM-US2H w/ ATHLONII X2 240 memory and cpu speed
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 02:34:45 pm »
Hi,

What revision is your Motherboard?
What OS are you using?
Are you using On-board Graphics?

These all have a bearing on possible reasons and solutions so if you could post full details of your build it would really help.

ATB
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 02:39:14 pm »
revision is 1.1
os is XP home sp3
yes on the on board graphics

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 02:53:32 pm »
Hi,

The first thing to check out would be your BIOS the latest version is F11 and shows that CPU compatibility has been improved. You can download it from here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3266&dl=1#dl

If you are not sure how to flash BIOS using the QFlash Utility here's a quick how to for you:
The safest and best way to flash BIOS is to use the QFlash Utility.

There are a couple of steps to take before updating BIOS the first is to download the latest version from the web. Be careful that you get the right BIOS version for your motherboard and in particular check out your motherboard's revision number prior to downloading.

Once you have downloaded the correct BIOS Unzip the folder using WinRAR, 7Zip, Winzip etc., Save the folder to your desktop for easy access.

You will find a USB Stick is the best way of flashing BIOS so make sure the stick has been formatted in FAT32. Next copy the BIOS folder, that you have extracted (and saved on your desktop) to the USB Stick.

Leave the USB stick plugged into your PC and re-boot. As the PC starts up press the "END" key on your keyboard (you might have to press the "END" key several times during start-up before you see the message regarding QFlash, this is normal so don't worry just as you would the "DEL" key for entering BIOS). Don't worry if you enter BIOS instead as you can get to the QFlash utility by pressing the F8 key on your keyboard from the BIOS Home Screen.

The PC will enter the QFlash utility and you need to locate the folder on the USB Stick and then follow the on-screen instructions.

When the BIOS update is complete re-boot the PC and go back into BIOS.

Load optimised defaults, save and exit.

When the PC reboots you will see that the new BIOS is installed.

NOTE: Sometimes the latest available BIOS is a beta version and although it will work you might find some things are missing and overclocking, for example, might not work properly. If in doubt I would recommend that you do not update to BETA unless there is a noted "fix" for an issue that you are facing or if advised to by Gigabyte.

Hopefully the updated BIOS will solve your CPU problem.

If you are using the 32 bit version of XP then you will not see all 4 gig of RAM normally you will see about 3.5 gig, this is normal and is due to the limits of a 32 bit system.

So where, you are asking has the rest of your memory vanished to? As you are using the on-board graphics a certain amount of your RAM is taken for this, usually about 512 Mb. (The amount can be adjusted from within BIOS but is really best left at its default setting.) and some is reserved for system use. That is why you are only seeing 2.75 Gig.

Hope this helps

ATB
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 03:09:24 pm »
Thank you for your assistance. Will try when I get home tonight if better half has no honey do's. I kind of had an Idea what was going on with the memory but had no clue as to what was going on with the cpu speed. Will post on the results of bios upgrade. Again thank you for your help.

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 12:59:32 pm »
Upgraded bios without a problem and things looking ok. Again thank you "absic115"  for your help and patience with a newbie to using gigabyte board and forum. When I build another machine I am definitly using gigabyte board again. Everything seemed so clean and easy to follow.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 01:03:08 pm »
No problem, always pleased to help out where I can.

Happy computing.  :D