Official GIGABYTE Forum

Is GA K8N Pro SLI PCI-E 2.0 compliant ? reason ATI HD5850 will not boot

Myopik

Problem with booting sytem with new VC ..ATI HD5850 ...doen the Cmos  and bios upgrade , checked the power is OK just will not POST or Bios load.

Have checked mobo website details ..but nothing mentioned about PCI-E 2.0 .

So any advice ...is the mobo PCI-E 2.0 .....or do we think new VC is U/S?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi,

This thread follows on from the same subject posted here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2185.0.html It is not a good idea to duplicate threads as it can easily confuse advice offered by other users.

However in answer to your question...
The slots should not be the cause of the problem. Like most things in the PC world PCIE 2.0 is backwards compatible.

ln your other post you claim that your PSU is powerful enough, to be honest I would try a different one if possible, as a lot of BOOT failure errors that you describe are due to insufficient power being provided.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 01:45:17 pm by absic115 »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Myopik

PSU spec on ATI web site states 500w min and 600w recommended , Coolermaster site states PSU is 550w with peak of 650w .
this too me is sufficient .
But I hear what you say.
Open question I have is .....Is the mobo compatible with the VC ...have you found or know that K8N ProSli has been found to be incompat with any of the new VC cards.

If yes I think the issue is Bios as no new upgarde since 2008 ...therefore suggest that a VC launched in2009 may give the mobo issue.

But I remain open to suggestions and have your as possible PSU noted.
thanks

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi,

You could well be correct in thinking this is a motherboard BIOS issue, especially as there are some problems with a few of these newer GPU's which have only be resolved with a BIOS update. With regard to the PSU, as you are most probably aware, this is the most common cause for this kind of issue and it is always worth double checking as most people don't realise that even a new PSU might not be OK.

I think, it might be best for you, if you contact Gigabyte Tech Support here: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/technical-support.aspx as they would be in a better position to answer your query then the general users of the forum. It can take 7 - 10 days before you get a response from them, so be patient.

I hope you can get this figured out and, when you do it would be great if you could post back here with the result.

ATB
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

DerekJ

Hi all,

I have a Sapphire HD5770 and this motherboard with the same problem.  I understand the BIOS is the problem and they have a BIOS that is not on the site that is supposed to fix this problem.  I wrote to gigabyte and they emailed me the F10e BIOS.  It didn't work for me but I just realized that I didn't clear my CMOS after the update.  I'm off to do that to see if it works.  If OP or anyone else wants the update, just drop me an email.  Use at your own risk of course.

DerekJ

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Hi all,

I have a Sapphire HD5770 and this motherboard with the same problem.  I understand the BIOS is the problem and they have a BIOS that is not on the site that is supposed to fix this problem.  I wrote to gigabyte and they emailed me the F10e BIOS.  It didn't work for me but I just realized that I didn't clear my CMOS after the update.  I'm off to do that to see if it works.  If OP or anyone else wants the update, just drop me an email.  Use at your own risk of course.

DerekJ
You will have to excuse my skepticism but we have heard this before without any fix. I hope that clearing your CMOS and then rebooting will clear your problem but if it doesn't just post back.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB