Official GIGABYTE Forum

MARVELL SATA3 problem

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: MARVELL SATA3 problem
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2010, 07:58:02 am »

I believe they used it because it was the only solution, and still is.    I am not sure if they were aware of the issues at the time or not?   Maybe they were and expected a firmware or driver update could fix them, maybe they didn't know at all?

I really don't think that is a good enough excuse for rushing a product to market obviously without the proper testing. What are the design team being paid for? Also why has the company been trying to bury it rather than coming clean and confessing their mistake?

The Marvell is ONLY good at Sequential read/writes with a single drive (And it can struggle with that under heavy load), other than that the Intel ICH10R is much better overall.  If you are going to RAID SSD's, the ICH10R will give you the best speeds for everything

Well that would go along with our results from testing.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2010, 08:31:59 am »
(...)
I was following this thread a few weeks back and just remembered to post my thoughts here on the testing I just completed, so hopefully Runn3r can report the RAID BIOS settings issue to GBT HQ.

I believe they used it because it was the only solution, and still is.    I am not sure if they were aware of the issues at the time or not?   Maybe they were and expected a firmware or driver update could fix them, maybe they didn't know at all? (...)

Hi

Welcome to our forum! Could you please provide which SSD model you have tested with? Do you have GA-X58A-UD5? Then I will pass your findings about F6 bios to HQ.
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2010, 11:58:57 am »
Hi runn3R, any news yet on the reason why it is advised to not run RAIDed SSDs on the SATA3 ports?  ???
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2010, 12:03:02 pm »
(...)
I was following this thread a few weeks back and just remembered to post my thoughts here on the testing I just completed, so hopefully Runn3r can report the RAID BIOS settings issue to GBT HQ.

I believe they used it because it was the only solution, and still is.    I am not sure if they were aware of the issues at the time or not?   Maybe they were and expected a firmware or driver update could fix them, maybe they didn't know at all? (...)

Hi

Welcome to our forum! Could you please provide which SSD model you have tested with? Do you have GA-X58A-UD5? Then I will pass your findings about F6 bios to HQ.

Hi Runn3r, I've been here a bit, just always forget to stop in :)

The only thing I was hoping you could send in a report on is the BIOS setting bug.   I'm using Ud7 and C300's though if you wondered, but that doesn't matter really in regards to  what I hoped you could send in a report about.  I only need the Marvell RAID BIOS settings/false (You are in IDE mode) warnings reported for all the new Final X58 BIOSes, I'd report it to Colin but I think he's been pretty busy the past week or two.  If you test what I mentioned with one of the new X58A final BIOSes you will see what I mean.

I'm sure others will be reporting it soon as well, I've already had UD3R and UD5 users complain about the issue at Tweaktown, so I assume it also affects all the other models as well since they all have noted the same BIOS enhancement added in the final change logs.

The Marvell RAID/SSD issues are well known, no need to report anything in regards to that as everyone is aware of the issues and I don't think there can ever be a fix as it's more of a limitation of the 9128 chip than a flaw in anything on the motherboards, it affects all motherboards from all manufacturers.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 12:14:35 pm by Lsdmeasap »

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2010, 12:08:56 pm »
Hi runn3R, any news yet on the reason why it is advised to not run RAIDed SSDs on the SATA3 ports?  ???

Haha really?  Because it freezes the chip and or and makes it drop a drive or both, or the controller itself fails and drops out of the hardware list.   It may be ok under normal use such as daily browsing, I've only ran benchmarks (Which when you finally do get one to finish without dying, the scores are worse than a single drive on the ICH10R) so not sure how it would act in a normal end user setup - I'd expect it to stutter or freeze at times though when a semi heavy load hits the controller.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2010, 12:20:54 pm »
Hi runn3R, any news yet on the reason why it is advised to not run RAIDed SSDs on the SATA3 ports?  ???

Haha really?  Because it freezes the chip and or and makes it drop a drive or both, or the controller itself fails and drops out of the hardware list.   It may be ok under normal use such as daily browsing, I've only ran benchmarks (Which when you finally do get one to finish without dying, the scores are worse than a single drive on the ICH10R) so not sure how it would act in a normal end user setup - I'd expect it to stutter or freeze at times though when a semi heavy load hits the controller.

Well that is exactly what we have been finding even with SATA3 standard hard drives. Let alone the SSDs. The chip just drops the RAID or disappears altogether. The thing is we were supposed to be getting an official statement of the reason.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 12:22:28 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2010, 12:52:13 pm »
I suspected it might also happen with mechanical SATA 6GB/s drives as well, but I only have SSD's to test with.

Sounds like the same happens regardless.   There is times when it will act normal in a benchmark, but not often.    Those times it does people post about more, and make others think it's fine.

I believe the reason is happens is the Marvell 9128/9123 chip itself.  I base this on my testing with a Highpoint RocketRAID 640 controller, it has the same chip 9128 x 2.   With the HPT 640 I can cause the same exact things during testing if I do not split the load across both chips (IE One drive per 9128) on the controller, so I believe the issue is the Marvell chip itself can't handle the loads produced by these fast drives.

I doubt an official statement will ever be made, I was surprised to see the website revisions mentioned previously.  The Marvell chip is still the only SATA 6Gb/s solution so it will continue to be used until something better comes along.   

Intel's next chipset should deliver!

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2010, 01:44:09 pm »
Thanks for your honest answer. It is something we have had a problem getting this side of the water. The thing is that many people bought this board(chipset) on the advertised SATA3 6gbs throughput and not only that but also invested in drives to match. I feel that we have been led along and now they don't care because they have our money and as you say will bring out another motherboard later which will work.  >:(

It is not only this problem either. The Dual BIOS doesn't work good, lots of boards have a noise problem, etc etc

I really feel that it's time for Gigabyte to come clean and do the right thing for once.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 03:27:46 pm by runn3R »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2010, 02:08:58 pm »
Most people purchased it because it was new, or had new tech (SATA 6Gb/s), which always has it's risks.   I would always buy based on technology itself not specs on a box anyway, as I think most people do, and then either do their own testing or look at actual reviewers testing before making a purchase.

DualBIOS works fine 99% of the time, and there is several ways to make it kick in if it does not automatically.   Are you having a problem with a board, I can help you recover it so you wont have to RMA, let me know.

I think the noise problem boils down to 90% PSU, if you have certain PSU you will hear the noise, other PSU's you will not.   I have heard the noise on boards with certain PSU's and then put the PSU I use on the boards and the noise is gone.   I know that is not always the case, nor should it be a solution, but a lot of the people who are bothered with this noise will not switch PSU brands or read ahead into these kind of issues when making purchases.    I've never had the noise issue on ANY of my Gigabyte boards, but I only use one brand of PSU, and not a lot of people like that brand or use it, and the larger part of the PSU's that cause issues are people's favorite brands so you can't ever convince them otherwise.

Sorry, I can't go into this brand vs that brand, I can only generalize what I know without mentioning brands as it wouldn't be fair to anyone to do so.

All new hardware often has issues or quirks, that's why there is always something new being made or changed and or hardware revisions being done, nothing we as consumers can do about that it's just how things are.

Are you a Gigabyte supporter, or do you only have issues with them?   No worries either way, I just asked because I am new here and not sure where you stand, some of your posts sound one way while others sound the opposite - so just asking  ;D

I am a STRONG Gigabyte supporter, in case you are unsure.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 02:11:53 pm by Lsdmeasap »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2010, 02:33:23 pm »
I know your stance from your posts on Tweaktown. Mine is that I own certain Gigabyte products and try and reach a fair viewpoint on each matter as it arises. I do like Gigabyte on the whole (I just moved over from ASUS where I help on their forum)  but that doesn't mean that I will just accept what they do because it is Gigabyte. runn3R will be the first to tell you that I am a thorn in their side a times but I also stand up for them when I think it is called for.

The DualBIOS saga is something we have noticed recently where the Backup BIOS isn't kicking in to take over in the event of the Main BIOS becoming corrupted by bad flash or whatever. I asked GGTS for an explanation and they replied that it didn't work if the main BIOS was corrupt. So I ask you what is the point of it?

I agree with you on the noise/motherboard/PSU front to a greater extent. I am sure that it is a combination of factors that causes the noise. I do appreciate you not wanting to name brands for obvious reasons.

I am not sure however that we are in agreement over the  
I would always buy based on technology itself not specs on a box anyway, as I think most people do, and then either do their own testing
as the hardware is generally more expensive over here and most people are not in a position, money wise, to buy to test. They have to rely heavily on the advertising and reviews(which can also be misleading as we all know).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 03:41:59 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2010, 02:59:19 pm »
Insert Quote
Most people purchased it because it was new, or had new tech (SATA 6Gb/s), which always has it's risks.   I would always buy based on technology itself not specs on a box anyway, as I think most people do, and then either do their own testing or look at actual reviewers testing before making a purchase
I don't know about anyone else but I do understand the risks of buying into new tech and before buying any product I do a LOT of research. Unfortunately, with SATA3, the initial feedback from the vast majority of sites was actually very positive especially with regard to Gigabyte boards and the Marvell 9128 Chip, so I bought based upon this and also my trust in Gigabyte. The reality hasn't lived up to the promise and I can, to some degree, accept this. The issue I have, however, is in the slow response when problems have been pointed out. I think this is the biggest annoyance and cause for frustration that is being expressed on the forum. Even a direct yes or no question can take ages to be answered.

I too, am a strong Gigabyte supporter but in no way do I feel constrained by this loyalty, to say when I believe something is amiss and Gigabyte have recently shown that they are unable to respond quickly or adequately enough to their customer's complaints or queries. Why this should be I do not know, unless of course they have grown too quickly and do not have the infrastructure in place to deal with the increased demands on their Technical Support Staff. This UK forum only has one "official" Gigabyte employee and, with the best will in the world, he cannot be expected to handle the increased volume of traffic that this site has seen over the past year or be in a position to answer all of the technical issues raised here.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 03:03:49 pm by absic115 »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2010, 03:41:07 pm »
I know your stance from your posts on Tweaktown. Mine is that I own certain Gigabyte products and try and reach a fair viewpoint on each matter as it arises. I do like Gigabyte on the whole (I just moved over from ASUS where I help on their forum)  but that doesn't mean that I will just accept what they do because it is Gigabyte. runn3R will be the first to tell you that I am a thorn in their side a times but I also stand up for them when I think it is called for.

The DualBIOS saga is something we have noticed recently where the Backup BIOS isn't kicking in to take over in the event of the Main BIOS becoming corrupted by bad flash or whatever. I asked GGTS for an explanation and they replied that it didn't work if the main BIOS was corrupt. So I ask you what is the point of it?

I agree with you on the noise/motherboard/PSU front to a greater extent. I am sure that it is a combination of factors that causes the noise. I do appreciate you not wanting to name brands for obvious reasons.

I am not sure however that we are in agreement over the  
I would always buy based on technology itself not specs on a box anyway, as I think most people do, and then either do their own testing
as the hardware is generally more expensive over here and most people are not in a position, money wise, to buy to test. They have to rely on the advertising and reviews(which can also be misleading as we all know).

That can be corrected a few ways, MAIN BIOS Corrupt or not.  I've actually purposely corrupted my MAIN BIOS 10+ times in a row one night trying to flash a special BIOS (Which was bad) that the engineers were trying to convince me that it flashed just fine for them.  They finally gave in several days later and realized I wasn't kidding when they gave the BIOS to JZ and he found the same issue.  I probably flashed the BAD BIOS at least 15 times trying different methods and hardware, just because they assured me it flashed fine for them.  It will recover no problem with a MAIN BIOS corruption, you just have to know the many ways to do that, and Gigabyte probably just did not want to mention them as some may be risky, but they could have at least told you a few ways it can be fixed instead of what you mentioned their reply to be.

The above mentioned BIOS is the only thing I'm bothered with Gigabyte about, not really upset, but just rather sad, and it's not about the bad flash or bad BIOS either, it's the issue that brought it all into light.   I have accepted it and moved on though.  

The problem, and why they gave me the above mentioned BIOS, is QPI Slow mode.    It does not work on ANY Gigabyte X58 board, and has not since day one.   You can select it in some BIOS and it appears to work but once you are in windows x36 QPI  is always used.   I even told them how to correct it and what values to use, but still no luck.   I've had Colin look into getting this fixed, for months, then finally Hicookie, Dinos, and the Motherboard Product Manager as well, and the BIOS engineers just say "sorry no time, or sorry can't fix", when it could easily be fixed!   I could fix it myself if the tools that worked on older p35/p45 and earlier BIOSes would work on X58/P55 but they just don't work so there isn't any way for me to make the needed edits myself.

Sorry to rant  ;D   You can kick in the backup BIOS by shutting down the PSU from the wall, then hold down your case power button in and then turn on the power supply button, a few seconds later the board will start, shut off the power supply then.   Then you can turn on the power supply again and power up the board normally and DualBIOS will kick in.

You can also recover by manually shorting BIOS pins on the MAIN BIOS Chip, 5+6 or 4+7, if you would like further information on how to do that or procedures for each method let me know.  I'd rather not post it into a thread so we don't have everyone jumping to use it as their first solution to a problem.  I normally PM this information to users as a last resort if they cannot recover via power switch method, or another method using CD drive ONLY (NO Hard Drives) connected to SATAII_0 or IDE Master with motherboard driver CD inserted.  

The pin shorts work every time, you just have to do them properly and they both have a certain method to doing them right.

Ya I know what you mean!   I didn't really mean buy to test, I mean most buy just because of new technology or new hardware, regardless of specs on a package.   And we as end users should reply on reviewers and or other end users tests before making a final purchase decision.  I do know what you mean about reviews too, that's why I always look also at end users reports as well which is why I always love to post my results or findings too because I know some people buy based solely on end users thoughts.

Insert Quote
Most people purchased it because it was new, or had new tech (SATA 6Gb/s), which always has it's risks.   I would always buy based on technology itself not specs on a box anyway, as I think most people do, and then either do their own testing or look at actual reviewers testing before making a purchase
I don't know about anyone else but I do understand the risks of buying into new tech and before buying any product I do a LOT of research. Unfortunately, with SATA3, the initial feedback from the vast majority of sites was actually very positive especially with regard to Gigabyte boards and the Marvell 9128 Chip, so I bought based upon this and also my trust in Gigabyte. The reality hasn't lived up to the promise and I can, to some degree, accept this. The issue I have, however, is in the slow response when problems have been pointed out. I think this is the biggest annoyance and cause for frustration that is being expressed on the forum. Even a direct yes or no question can take ages to be answered.

I too, am a strong Gigabyte supporter but in no way do I feel constrained by this loyalty, to say when I believe something is amiss and Gigabyte have recently shown that they are unable to respond quickly or adequately enough to their customer's complaints or queries. Why this should be I do not know, unless of course they have grown too quickly and do not have the infrastructure in place to deal with the increased demands on their Technical Support Staff. This UK forum only has one "official" Gigabyte employee and, with the best will in the world, he cannot be expected to handle the increased volume of traffic that this site has seen over the past year or be in a position to answer all of the technical issues raised here.

I do know what you mean, but we now know a lot of that must have been with the slower Indilinux drives or just over-exaggeration/excitement at the speeds, not sure?

Brand loyalty when it comes to this issue really doesn't matter, as all the SATA 6Gb/s boards use the same controller, so they all have the same issues and I'm not sure why they do not make a larger public announcement accepting our findings?   I'm proud to see at least Gigabyte has made changes to their websites in regards to this, even it they did so quietly, no one else has yet.

I think the best person we could get to look into this issue would be Adand, but he may not be able to get any answers either and may just end up confirming our thoughts without any solutions.    I do not think this can be solved due to the chip used, maybe it's possible but I doubt it as if it was someone would have already corrected it IE Marvell or X Motherboard manufacturer - I just don't see anything that can be done
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 03:43:22 pm by Lsdmeasap »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2010, 03:59:26 pm »
Hey, no problem, rant all you like! ;)
You can also recover by manually shorting BIOS pins on the MAIN BIOS Chip, 5+6 or 4+7, if you would like further information on how to do that or procedures for each method let me know.  I'd rather not post it into a thread so we don't have everyone jumping to use it as their first solution to a problem.  I normally PM this information to users as a last resort if they cannot recover via power switch method, or another method using CD drive ONLY (NO Hard Drives) connected to SATAII_0 or IDE Master with motherboard driver CD inserted.  

I was aware of the pin solution even though it can be tricky but thanks for the other re the on/off switch. I will contact you regarding the other methods if that is ok.

I always do plenty of factfinding before making a purchase(sometimes it's out of date by the time I make a decision) but as I said it is finding trustworthy info that can be a problem.

I think the best person we could get to look into this issue would be Adand, but he may not be able to get any answers either and may just end up confirming our thoughts without any solutions.    I do not think this can be solved due to the chip used, maybe it's possible but I doubt it as if it was someone would have already corrected it IE Marvell or X Motherboard manufacturer - I just don't see anything that can be done

I totally agree and I have been saying for ages that I couldn't see a firmware fix  becoming available. It's a shame but to be realistic it aint gonna happen!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:00:38 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2010, 11:01:12 pm »
I doubt an official statement will ever be made, I was surprised to see the website revisions mentioned previously.  The Marvell chip is still the only SATA 6Gb/s solution so it will continue to be used until something better comes along.

Most people purchased it because it was new, or had new tech (SATA 6Gb/s), which always has it's risks.   I would always buy based on technology itself not specs on a box anyway, as I think most people do, and then either do their own testing or look at actual reviewers testing before making a purchase.

Not trying to offend but I believe not many can accept this. Whether a technology is new to a user is very subjective. If Gigabyte knows the problem but still tries to convince users the "performance" of the Marvell chip with the "333" advertisement, then it's considered as a cheat.
Intel Core i7 920 O/C @3.36GHz, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (Rev. 1.0), G.Skill ECO Series F3-12800CL8D-4GBECO 2x2 GB, OCZ StealthXStream 600W, Titan Fenrir V2 CPU Cooler, Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA3, XFX 8600GT 256MB, LG GH22NS50, Benq G222HDL

« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2010, 06:18:04 pm »
Hello all,

I just joined this forum last night after receiving my new Crucial SSD (http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1) drives in hopes to install them in a RAID 0 on my GA-P55A-UD4P motherboard as my manual and box states. I am in the US though and I know this is the UK forum but to be honest I couldn't find a forum for my region and since I've spent about 3 hours reading all the posts here I wanted to see if there was any update to this SATA 3 issue?

When I put both of these in RAID 0 my PC just continuously reboots itself... powers on for 2-3 seconds and then shuts off. I finally got this corrected by letter the machine continually reboot until finally I could get as far as the bios to break the RAID. They work as single drives off the marvel controller but not RAID and to top if off these drives can go up to 355MB/Sec on SATA III but I'm only seeing around 265-275MB/sec on these ports. I have installed the latest firmware for my MB (F14) and still no change. When I get home this afternoon I am going to switch them to the Intel controller as a RAID 0 and see what the HDTune performance is.

Any help is appreciated!

Rick