Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-880GA-UD3H - unlock cores on Phenom II 555 BE

proxy

• Nuts.
Re: GA-880GA-UD3H - unlock cores on Phenom II 555 BE
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2010, 09:37:05 pm »
Hmm.  Just because it boots up doesn't mean they're stable.  Besides raising voltages you might want to try lowering the multiplier to put less strain on it as well.  You can't migrate an old installation of Windows to a new motherboard, the drivers won't be correct.  You need to do a repair installation.

Here's what you need:
1. Windows XP installation disc
2. SATA/RAID driver disc for the motherboard (might need this if the first go around Windows cannot find SATA drives)
3. Windows XP Product Key
4. Motherboard and other hardware drivers

Here's what you need to do:
1. Backup the hard drive; data loss is a possibility
2. Boot to the Windows XP CD *
3. At the options select a new installation (not a repair)
4. Press F8 to continue, Windows will find the existing installation, if it doesn't exit cause you're out of luck
5. You will be prompted to do a repair installation, select this option
6. The repair installation will happen, when prompted enter the product key
7. After it is done, everything will be as it was when XP was first installed, however, the old apps will still be installed
8. Install the motherboard and other hardware drivers

* While XP setup is loading press F6 if you need to use the SATA/RAID disk to detect SATA hard drives

Best of luck.  Remember always backup first, prevention and all that.

« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2010, 06:54:23 am »
Wow - I have been impressed with the help and information that is available in online communities, but this is truly great service. Thank you!

I will start working on a solution as soon as I get my new HD.

Thanks again!
There is something fundamentally honest and psychologically healthy in being oneself and striding forward with one's vision facing directly ahead, instead of trying at every turn to satisfy abstract standards of goodness established by a reigning ortodoxy. This is what te/de is all about.

« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2010, 08:17:22 pm »
I have the same issue showing up on this same board.  Have you had any response from technical support sideburns?  Anyone have an update on this issue?....

Proxy,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, Im afraid I had abonded hope in obtaining a fix.

My responses from gigabyte tech support were equally disapointing.

Initially

Hi,

Our bios has unlock option but it does not mean we can unlock every cpu.

It depends on CPU itself.

Some are lucky to unlock it but some are not.

As for the cpu speed, you can go to BIOS setup to check it.

As for the stepping, you can use CPUZ to check.

similar to initial forum responses... and then

Hi,

After checking with our bios engineer, it is seldom to see the unlock successfully and then cannot unlock.

If X2 555 cannot unlock successfully, you will only see core 0/1. That is correct.

Suffice to say I felt pretty fobbed off and forgot about core unlocking as my machine is pretty fast anyways so I let it lie.

As you say shame as otherwise this is a pretty neat board, very stable.

I am hopefully going to get the chance to try the chip in a friends 790fx board which has proven itself unlocking other cpu's, however this will not be till early december. Will update with results when I can.

update:

Also, I beleive this was originally in AMD motherboards. Why has it been moved? this thread is clearly discussing a fault with the mainboard.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 08:22:40 pm by sideburns »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2010, 08:40:34 pm »
Also, I beleive this was originally in AMD motherboards. Why has it been moved? this thread is clearly discussing a fault with the mainboard.

I think the moderator felt that it was more concerned with this subject and so moved it.  Obviously we have to make decisions and sometimes the call won't always suit everyone. He just did what he thought was right.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 08:41:42 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2010, 09:04:13 pm »

I think the moderator felt that it was more concerned with this subject and so moved it.  Obviously we have to make decisions and sometimes the call won't always suit everyone. He just did what he thought was right.  ;)

No need for winkies with me  ;)

As implied by my first post I'd argue it was more apt in AMD motherboards where it began but meh.

Also gonna add in my instance of this issue the motherboard has difficulties booting with core unlock enabled and auto set. I am still F4a bios though.

Has anyone tried overvolting their processor slightly when trying to get this feature working?

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2010, 10:12:24 pm »
No need for winkies with me  

As implied by my first post I'd argue it was more apt in AMD motherboards where it began but meh.

Actually it wasn't either of us moderators, runn3R did it but as he's on holiday this week I guess he gets away with it.

I will leave one of the AMD lads to answer your question as I am not at all sure.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:59:50 am by runn3R »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

j5

« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2010, 03:58:19 pm »
Bummer.

Looks like Asus gets the nod for future builds, I guess.

« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2010, 12:15:11 pm »
I will post some CPU-Z scrennies when I get my new cabinet, hd and psu early next week.

Everything seems to run stable:

Not able to run a lenghty test yet and at least its far more stable than the old XP installation.

GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H (rev. 2.0)
AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition

Succes: X4 @ 3214 MHz / 1.312 V.

There is something fundamentally honest and psychologically healthy in being oneself and striding forward with one's vision facing directly ahead, instead of trying at every turn to satisfy abstract standards of goodness established by a reigning ortodoxy. This is what te/de is all about.

b_force

« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2010, 01:38:40 am »
ok, news from my side.

My CPU died last week.
The temperature was rising very fast.
In the beginning it was sporadic, but in the end the CPU was more than 80 degrees in less than 10 minutes.
(without over-clocking and unlocking)

I tested it on the MSI 785 and I got the same results.
So the CPU is send back RMA now.

I think I'll buy the AMD Athlon II X4 645.
for a few extra bucks it is faster in almost every case/benchmark.
There are few laws more precise than those of perfect molecular chaos

« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2010, 09:49:37 am »
Hmm.  Just because it boots up doesn't mean they're stable.  Besides raising voltages you might want to try lowering the multiplier to put less strain on it as well.  You can't migrate an old installation of Windows to a new motherboard, the drivers won't be correct.  You need to do a repair installation.

Here's what you need:
1. Windows XP installation disc
2. SATA/RAID driver disc for the motherboard (might need this if the first go around Windows cannot find SATA drives)
3. Windows XP Product Key
4. Motherboard and other hardware drivers

Here's what you need to do:
1. Backup the hard drive; data loss is a possibility
2. Boot to the Windows XP CD *
3. At the options select a new installation (not a repair)
4. Press F8 to continue, Windows will find the existing installation, if it doesn't exit cause you're out of luck
5. You will be prompted to do a repair installation, select this option
6. The repair installation will happen, when prompted enter the product key
7. After it is done, everything will be as it was when XP was first installed, however, the old apps will still be installed
8. Install the motherboard and other hardware drivers

* While XP setup is loading press F6 if you need to use the SATA/RAID disk to detect SATA hard drives

Best of luck.  Remember always backup first, prevention and all that.

The plot thickens here: With my X4 up and running i found a new cabinet and psu for the CoreDuo set and the XP instalation. I brougth the parts home yesterday and put it all together AND it fired up with no hickups whatsoever!
It becomes unstable with a 5% automatic overclock, but it runs fairly stable even when under a bit of pressure with no overclocking.

So why not stable in the office?
Obviously two explanations comes to mind:
1. The old psu is not up for the task.
The X4 system seems to run stable with the same psu, but its perhaps less powerhungry with a Seagate Momentum XP hybrid-drive instead of a normal hd.

2. The actual power system in the building is not up for the task.
I would never think of this if it wasnt for the fact that I have had to switch off other power lines in order to boot the comp. Or move it to the kitchen for it to power up.

3. Any combination of those.

So how can i test for any of this?

And is there any remedy if the powersystem in the building is not on par?
(Besides using laptop gear)

Any input is welcome.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2010, 10:36:04 am »
This is not as uncommon as you would imagine where the main power supply is not up to scratch. It can be because of a variety of reasons but the main problem is how to circumvent it. I would suggest a good UPS system, size depending on what you are running and the state of the supply. Probably the best start is to get a qualified electrician in to test the power. It could be as simple as bad sockets but it could be  a lot harder to fix.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

b_force

« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2010, 07:08:20 pm »
Very quiet here......

Ok I've got my new CPU.
It's again a X2 555BE, changing for a quad core Athlon was not possible.

So I installed the CPU on the MSI 785 board (because it was still in my computer).
Worked fine.

Tried to unlock it, worked also very well!!!!!

Put it in the Gigabyte board and again no 4 Cores  >:(

Sorry for saying, but shame you Gigabyte!!!!! >:( >:( >:(
I just flushed 90 euro away :(

Is there a way to get money back because of a malfunctioning mainbord?

edit:
I noticed a rev2.2 on the website
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 07:15:35 pm by b_force »

j5

« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2010, 03:53:34 pm »
@B_force:
I thought you'd taken your Athlon and gone home... ;D
I watch this thread on occasion, on the off chance something will emerge, only to be met with continued silence. It appears no solution is in order from GB or anyone else for that matter. I expect we should just enjoy our" Dualies", overclocking as best we can, and seek alternative mainboards to use in future builds.

b_force

« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2010, 05:40:57 pm »
Ok, I have emailed again with gigabyte and I'm absolutely shocked!!

I'd told Gigabyte that my cpu was broken and that I got a new one.
This new cpu can't also be unlocked on the Gigabyte board.
And again the MSI works fine.

So, I was hoping for an answer like before, but suddenly I get a reaction in Dutch.
I quiote:

Thank you for your e-mail. It's good to hear all problems are solved know.
Off course it is sad that that you can't unlock the extra cores, but over clocking is really unpredictable so we have to live with it.

WTF Gigabyte? :o
This can't be serious.

First of all, it seems that this person did not read any of the previous messages.
I'm back were I started  ???
Second, problem solved? What is solved? My cpu broke?
That is not a solution is it???

And a big third.
This guy is in fact almost saying that Gigabyte does not have the knowledge to keep up withhis competitors
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 05:42:00 pm by b_force »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2010, 07:15:05 pm »
It's a real pity that a company that claims to support overclocking and provides utilities for doing so, can't get something as basic as this working properly. I wonder if they would ignore this issue or dismiss it so readily if it was on the Intel platform.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:34:08 pm by runn3R »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.