Official GIGABYTE Forum

SpeedFan, HWMonitor reporting "Temp 3" at 79c

SpeedFan, HWMonitor reporting "Temp 3" at 79c
« on: July 27, 2009, 03:07:07 am »
I installed Speedfan today, cause my CPU fan was going faster than normal, so I wondered if it was running hot. I got a nice surprise when I opened it:

Checked the GPU via  ATI Catalyst Control Center, said it was at no more then 41.

Core is pretty obviously the CPU, Crusing fine at 29c.

So I wondered what Temp 1 and Temp 3 were... I checked the Northbridge. Put my finger on it, surprise, I didn't burst into flames. Slightly warm to the touch on the heat spreader, no real heat.

I can't put my finger on the SB. It's trapped under the GPU.

It has a portable  house fan running right at the side of the case. Not a flicker in temperature on the 79c one. I turned my computer off for 15 minutes after seeing these temperatures. I turned it back on after that, booted into BIOS. It said my CPU temperature was in the 30-40's and the "System" temperature no more then 35. So I rebooted, turn it on real fast and booted up SpeedFan. It said it was 78 degrees, and then flicked up to 79. I'm now here writing this post to you guys.

I also looked in HWMonitor:

There are apparently three temperature sensors on the motherboard, but I can only think of a spot for two? (NB & SB)
Are the tools mis-reporting an non-existant sensor, or is it a faulty sensor or?

Is it a faulty sensor, or is my mobo about to burst into flames?

Also where is the SB on this mobo?
http://hailaeros.com/ZScreen_Uploads/SS-2009.07.27-18.25.00.jpg

Cause what I"m looking at inside my case... isn't in this picture. (Comes off of newegg)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 03:16:29 am by Lord Ned »

Ace07

• AMD all the way
Re: SpeedFan, HWMonitor reporting "Temp 3" at 79c
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 05:28:34 pm »
I installed Speedfan today, cause my CPU fan was going faster than normal, so I wondered if it was running hot. I got a nice surprise when I opened it:

Checked the GPU via  ATI Catalyst Control Center, said it was at no more then 41.

Core is pretty obviously the CPU, Crusing fine at 29c.

So I wondered what Temp 1 and Temp 3 were... I checked the Northbridge. Put my finger on it, surprise, I didn't burst into flames. Slightly warm to the touch on the heat spreader, no real heat.

I can't put my finger on the SB. It's trapped under the GPU.

It has a portable  house fan running right at the side of the case. Not a flicker in temperature on the 79c one. I turned my computer off for 15 minutes after seeing these temperatures. I turned it back on after that, booted into BIOS. It said my CPU temperature was in the 30-40's and the "System" temperature no more then 35. So I rebooted, turn it on real fast and booted up SpeedFan. It said it was 78 degrees, and then flicked up to 79. I'm now here writing this post to you guys.

I also looked in HWMonitor:

There are apparently three temperature sensors on the motherboard, but I can only think of a spot for two? (NB & SB)
Are the tools mis-reporting an non-existant sensor, or is it a faulty sensor or?

Is it a faulty sensor, or is my mobo about to burst into flames?

Also where is the SB on this mobo?
http://hailaeros.com/ZScreen_Uploads/SS-2009.07.27-18.25.00.jpg

Cause what I"m looking at inside my case... isn't in this picture. (Comes off of newegg)

Hey Lord Ned ,

Not sure why speedfan is showing your temp at that high however speedfan also need to be off set to match the correct temps with the motherboard as I know too well. Bit confused with regards to the the part where you ask where the SB is on the motherboard!!! As you seem to say that you can't put your fingers on the SB as it's trapped under the GPU. Here is the link to the manual to your motherboard may help you out it shows you on there where your SB is http://europe.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-ma770t-ud3p_e.pdf    Try also downloading the Easy Tune6 to see what this tells you your temps are I would tend to go along with what that would say rather than speedfan untill you offset speedfan to the correct temps. Or failing that you can check the temps in the BIOS that will then tell you for sure what the correct temps are. But 79 seems to high and needs match to the correct temp I would say. With regards to the sensor on the motherboard or how many sorry I cant help you there I woundn't know.

Hope thats helps

Ace07

Beekeeper

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 03:51:49 pm »
I think that these 2 utilities are just reporting non-existent sensor, that's all.
in your case i wouldn't bother about it. all temps are OK, really
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 08:13:16 pm »
Download Core Temp and check the temps.

I don't trust speed fan for temps or bundled software. Core temp, Real temp and Everest only.

~Bex

Ace07

• AMD all the way
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:27:34 pm »
Download Core Temp and check the temps.

I don't trust speed fan for temps or bundled software. Core temp, Real temp and Everest only.

~Bex

There is nothing wrong with speed fan been running it for years never had a problem. Speedfan is fine and FREE