Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA770T-UD3P reports wrong vdimm

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-MA770T-UD3P reports wrong vdimm
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 02:34:59 pm »
OCZ has always run their memory at higher voltages then most other companies.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

bytheway_r

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 03:32:19 pm »
That'd seem to be true as these sticks wanted 1.73v to run through BurnTest @ 6-6-6-19 1333Mhz. 6-6-5 is probably the limit if you're willing to up the voltage even more.

Anyway, I just stumbled upon some interesting thread:

http://www.overclock.net/amd-memory/610262-lowering-ram-voltage-gigabyte-ga-ma770t.html

"Hey Force, the GA-MA770T-UD3P will not go below 1.6V. In earlier bios revisions 1.5V was an option but the board over-volted to 1.6V. I think it's a hardware limitation of the board since the newest bios, F4, has a minimum Vram of 1.6. It will not hurt your RAM to run at 1.6V, and you may be able to tighten up your timings with the slight voltage increase."

Granted, that's just some random person who wrote this but the problem seems to be more widespread than just one or 2 boards. Seems like I shouldn't have the voltage settings below 1.6v availble in bios, though. Anyway, seems like a "hey it's not a bug, it's a feature!" thing.

Maybe I should just write an email to Gigabyte and ask them what's the min. vdimm for this board?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 03:36:33 pm by bytheway_r »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 07:30:30 pm »
Maybe I should just write an email to Gigabyte and ask them what's the min. vdimm for this board?

That might be the best solution as the only reference I can find seems to show that 1.5V is the default for all versions of this board.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 07:52:09 pm »
I know it is a different situation but on my last build(Intel platform) I used OCZ modules and had to run it at 1.95 to get it to run stable.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

bytheway_r

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 07:56:35 pm »
You know, next time I think I'll write a ticket pretending to be from the States or something ::). I think I'll be lucky if I'll get an answer before this week ends. Status after today still says it hasn't been touched by anyone.

Anyway, these memory controllers on Phenom II's are rather weak. I wonder what's the relation between them and CPU cores as I've noticed that the few times I tried upping voltage and raising CPU-NB beyond 2350Mhz ( last stable value, stock voltage ) it either wouldn't get stable no matter what or one of the cores got turned off. Anyway, I don't see it going much higher either way. Seems like it's near it's limits with stock settings. Guess that's only more of a reason to stay with RAM within 1333Mhz limit.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 08:05:28 pm »
Sorry but I think I've got lost a little here, could you just confirm that you have unlocked an X3, that you are now trying to overclock the unlocked CPU and are wondering why you can't get the system stable?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

bytheway_r

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 10:37:15 pm »
I can certainly confirm that I've unlocked an X3 and am running it at 3.5Ghz ( when there's need, K10Stat ). The system is perfectly stable, though. I've just observed that CPU-NB on my processor is pretty weak as it doesn't really want to go beyond 2350Mhz. Just to keep the FSB stock I'm running it at 2200Mhz. I was just wondering if it may be limited further by that unlocked core. As I said, I noticed that when I up the voltage on CPU-NB it often shuts down that 4th core. I'm guessing some safety feature of the bios as it boots normally but the processor reverts back to 3 cores.

So, for the record, the system's indeed overclocked but stable. Actually, now I'm thinking about downclocking the graphic card for idle mode ;D

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 10:41:23 pm »
I am sure that absic will have plenty to say on this matter but for my own twopenneth if you are using one of the processors with an extra core unlocked that is a bonus anyway and the previously locked core might be flawed anyway and that is the reason for it being binned as a dual core or three core etc.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 09:51:39 am »
Pretty impressive O/C with the unlocked core.  :o

Yes, I have to say that you are probably hitting the threshold with the CPU which is why it keeps falling over when you try and push it a little further.

Just a thought and, as I don't run an unlocked CPU I can't check this out, but in your BIOS is there the Core Performance Boost option? If so try disabling it and then see if you can gain a bit more from the CPU. The Core Boost feature is designed to shut down 1 or 2 of the cores on the CPU and boost the frequency of the remaining cores to improve system performance. Also, have you disabled the K8 Cool&Quiet feature in BIOS, this could be having an effect and holding you back too.

bytheway_r

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 02:58:54 pm »
I am sure that absic will have plenty to say on this matter but for my own twopenneth if you are using one of the processors with an extra core unlocked that is a bonus anyway and the previously locked core might be flawed anyway and that is the reason for it being binned as a dual core or three core etc.

Yeah, I know. I'm rather happy that it's running stable unlocked. All in all, I've bought this PC used and didn't really know all that much about what'd I'd be getting. Considering the price, the fact that I also got receipts that mean I have warranty for 2+ years on everything I'm, indeed, quite happy. The processor aside, I've been positively surprised with the graphic card, too ( better cooling than stock and slightly factory overclocked ).

Pretty impressive O/C with the unlocked core.  :o

Yes, I have to say that you are probably hitting the threshold with the CPU which is why it keeps falling over when you try and push it a little further.

Nah, it's not that great ;). It's a rather nice processor for overclocking:
 http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/475649-amd-phenom-ii-x3-700-series.html

Some of these scores are probably fake, though.

Seems like you're right about the CPU. I've tried upping the CPU-NB to 2400 without voltage change and it booted without that last core again. Got worse as it didn't boot again at all after that. Had to clear CMOS to get it to run so I'm not playing with memory controllers any more.

Just a thought and, as I don't run an unlocked CPU I can't check this out, but in your BIOS is there the Core Performance Boost option? If so try disabling it and then see if you can gain a bit more from the CPU. The Core Boost feature is designed to shut down 1 or 2 of the cores on the CPU and boost the frequency of the remaining cores to improve system performance. Also, have you disabled the K8 Cool&Quiet feature in BIOS, this could be having an effect and holding you back too.

Nope, I only have that control that allows you to set % corrections to each core and the one that allows you to disable some of the cores ( or that's how I understand it ). K8 Cool&Quiet is disabled for this reason and so that it won't clash with K10Stat ( just a precaution ).

I think I've reached the limit of what's reasonable with this setup. I have 4 P-states for the processor:

- 800Mhz @ 0.7625v
- 1400Mhz @ 0.8875v
- 2800Mhz ( stock speed ) @ 1.2000v
- 3500Mhz @ 1.4125v

with CPU-NB bumped to 2200Mhz. To get anything more out of it I'd have to add loads of voltage so there's not much of a point. As I don't want to exceed 1.75v on RAM I'll have to accept the 6-6-6 timings. The sticks sit right next to each other if you want dual channel on this board and they're under the CPU fan ( Mugen 2 is huge :o ) so cooling isn't all that great.

Offtopic galore but do you have any idea if running the processor below it's rated operating voltage may damage anything? I've checked the specs on AMD site out of curiosity and noticed that my 800Mhz setting is running under their values.

I'm also wondering if downclocking memory on a graphic card could be harmful. I mean, it'd get more energy than it needs then ( as you can't lower the voltage )?

Back on topic: Gigabyte answered faster than I thought it would but for the moment it's a Q&A on my side rather than theirs. It'll probably take a while before they get all the info they want out of me. 

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 03:07:48 pm »
Offtopic galore but do you have any idea if running the processor below it's rated operating voltage may damage anything? I've checked the specs on AMD site out of curiosity and noticed that my 800Mhz setting is running under their values.

Running the CPU under rated voltage won't cause any harm to the CPU. In fact, quite the opposite and I tend to undervolt mine as a matter of course. The only problem here is if you pull the voltage back too much, then the system, just like when O/C'ing, is liable to become unstable.

Never tried down clocking the RAM on a GPU so don't know the answer there but I would have thought that the graphic card would only draw the voltage it needed. There are never any warnings when you underclock only when you overclock!  ;)

bytheway_r

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 04:16:42 pm »
Update:

Ok, for the moment Gigabyte's answer is that they'll look into this and fix the bios if they'll find any problems. I suppose that's all I could ask for :)

bytheway_r

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 12:39:49 pm »
Ok, I give up. I'm not even going to try to get anything more out of tech support. It's like playing Chinese whispers with them. All the meaning gets lost somewhere along the way.

They asked me to write to them after a week ( they were going to check this issue ). After waiting a few days for a reply I got an answer that's more or less, like this:

We put 2 sticks in, checked with CPUID and it showed 1.5v, then checked with PC Health Status which showed 1.616v. CPUID was most likely wrong, so your situation is normal.

Well, to not be all bitchy it seems that, indeed, all of these motherboards start with ~1.6v instead of 1.5v. On the other hand, I don't see how that's normal when there's no info about that anywhere. Not to mention that all budget DDR3 works at 1.5v if not overclocked. There's also the issue of being able to set 1.5v and it not being the real voltage.

Well, I'm not going to bother them further as I don't really expect them fixing this or providing me with more significant info. At least not in the next few months, probably ::).

Maybe I'll ask runn3R about this ;D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 12:40:20 pm by bytheway_r »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 12:45:11 pm »
Well, I'm surprised by that response. On the GA-770TA-UD3 and on my own GA-790XTA-UD4 the default voltage is 1.5V for the RAM and it shows this correctly in both PC Health Status and CPUID.

It might be worth trying to get a proper answer from runn3R.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 11:00:08 am by runn3R »

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 07:33:58 pm »
When I look at the PC Health Status page the vdimm is 1.616v. Everest is saying that the vdimm is 1.62v. I am using the latest F3 bios and all values are on auto. The DRAM voltage control in the BIOS starts only from 1.600v, but the manual says it should start from 1.500v
Same to me with any BIOS
1,62 V default value, 1666MHz, 8-8-8-20,2x2GB kingstone

But sometimes i see 1,5V in BIOS only; after booting everest report 1,62.I think it's a bug