XIGMATEK XLF-F1455 Blackline Fan Review

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
XIGMATEK XLF-F1455 Blackline Fan Review
« on: April 05, 2011, 11:46:55 pm »
XIGMATEK XLF-F1455 Blackline Fan

by Dark Mantis

This is the first time I have tried the XIGMATEK fans and  I was impressed from the outset. I am more used to using the quiet but more expensive Gentle Typhoons which don't come as 140 mm so I decided to try these units. They had the right look and speed that I was after so that was the clincher.

When they arrived as I said I was impressed by the way they were packaged in a nice sturdy transparent plastic case. They came with a packet of fixing screws and a 4 pin  molex adapter for use if you wanted to connect them directly to the power supply unit as is often advised. This is good because it means that you have everything you need to install your fan straight from the box.

On taking the components out of the cases I very much liked the overall look of the fans. They are made from a smoked acrylic that is more pleasing to look at than the normal black plastic. Both fans and surrounds match. On closer inspection there is fitted a white LED at each corner shining onto the fan blades. The only downside so far was that the cable wasn't braided. Now I know many manufacturers don't braid their cables but it does add a touch of class and makes for a better finish and these fans have been designed to look nice.

Fitting is the same as any other fan and so I won't waste time with that. Suffice to say there were no problems.

Once running I was surprised to find them as quiet as any other fan I have used which I wasn't expecting considering their performance of nearly 64 CFM at full speed of 1000 RPM. This is very respectable for any fan and often incurs some noise and this level is rated at 16 dBa which I would tend to agree with as they are indeed quiet. When operating at night or low light conditions the fans are striking with the bright white LEDs reflecting off the blades. Although the blades themselves are straight the light makes them appear curved.

I can't think of any way of improving this device except to braid the cables and I would highly recommend it and award it 9/10.

Review sample supplied by CandC Central http://www.candccentral.co.uk/

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 12:52:15 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K