Official GIGABYTE Forum

Overclocking with GA 990FXA UD5

bultom

Overclocking with GA 990FXA UD5
« on: July 22, 2011, 02:38:57 pm »
Hi everyone ,

I bought a nice and shiny 990 FXA UD5 yesterday , with an as nice 1090 T .

first of all , the stock Vcore appear to be 1.400v on this MB (read in the bios and CPU Z and ET 6) , i thought Phenom 2 were 1.325V , and the board has an awfull VDROOP .

By the way the board and the cpu are working fine with all in "auto" in the bios.

But i can't make it work while overclocked , i'm trying to make it stable at 20x200 or 250x16 but it can't be stable , LinX OCCT or even SuperPi can't work ...

I changed from an Asrock 880 G Extrem 3 + 1055T , wich were stable at 286x14 with 1.55V , but on this mainboard and this cpu can't be stable with any Overclock , I know overclocking is'nt a science but ... Black Edition CPU's are made to be a little overclocked .

And for more difficulties , all option related to Voltages , are really different , and i can't understand who does what .

Any help for decrypting those options would be welcome , even a solution for this big Vdroop .

Thanks in advance .

:-*

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Overclocking with GA 990FXA UD5
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 03:02:05 pm »
Hi there,

I have sent you the F5b BETA BIOS that helps a little.

You may also like to look through this thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,5939.0.html where this subject is discussed at some length.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

bultom

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 03:43:19 pm »
Thank you , I will flash with the beta bios to give it a try .

Edit : Flashed with beta bios , vdroop still here .

Anyone for explaining me voltage options ? :)

And the "stock" vcore is stil 1.400v wich is very wrong :-(
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:12:36 pm by bultom »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 04:48:59 pm »
Hi again,

the "stock" voltage is within the safe voltage parameters for the 1090T and, I did ask AMD in the UK about this issue. The higher voltage applied when idling the CPU is OK and can, in fact, go over1.5V and still not damage the CPU.

LLC will drop the CPU voltage, as the CPU is put under load, to protect it. That is why, when stressing the processor, the voltage drops and this is more noticeable on the X6 processors than on the other Phenom ii processors, because of their design and if you lock off 2 of the cores on a X6 processor making into an X4 then you will notice that the VDroop is not as great.

I have been assured by both Gigabyte and AMD that the "higher" voltages at idle are not a problem and will not cause any long term damage to the CPU and that the motherboards are working in accordance with AMD's AM3+ load line calibration design guide.

I notice from your flag that you are French and you might like to see if there is any further information or help on the Gigabyte France forum here: http://forum.gigabyte.fr/
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

bultom

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 05:22:01 pm »
Thanks ,

I will try and post there .

By the way , i set the vcore to 1.55v and i can't have 210x20 stable neither 220x19 , it's unstable as hell ...

What's wrong with this cpu/cm couple ? O_O

I had really good overclocking with 880G + 1055T

I'm really thinking i did a bad choice :(

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 05:27:43 pm »
To be honest I haven't done much playing with overclocking on this board yet but I did manage to get 4.0GHz stable whilst playing around.

Have a look at this thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,6133.0.html where another member has posted some images of his O/C on this board.

bultom

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 05:41:08 pm »
To bad he didn't post some pictures from he bios settings  :'(

I will try to ask him

Thanks

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 03:16:12 pm »
Hi again,

Not sure if this will help or not but have done a bit of testing today and have taken the following images for you:

All I have done is change the CPU Multiplier to X20

and disabled all of the Turbo Core features. Everything else I have left at AUTO.

I then altered the CPU Voltage control to 1.4750V

I did encounter a problem here. When I saved the settings to BIOS and rebooted, the system crashed whilst trying to load Windows. When I went back into BIOS and checked the voltage had defaulted to 1.3000V. I had to reset the voltage from this figure (+0.175V)  and save to BIOS again before it was accepted.

Checking under PC Health it showed the voltage as 1.504V

Once into Windows EasyTune6 showed the CPU Voltage as 1.480V on the main page:

but as 1.500V on the HW Monitoring page:

Running HeavyLoad, to stress the CPU the voltage dropped to 1.440V when the CPU was under maximum load.

The voltage fluctuated slightly as I ran the test between 1.440V and 1.420V

The CPU Temp has varied between 40 - 44C

But, I am running a Noctua NH-D14 cooler and the ambient temperature is only about 20C.

I haven't had a chance to fully stress the system but, from the testing I have been able to do, it seems solid and I have not encountered any issues with any of the tasks I have run.

Hope this helps.

bultom

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 04:42:51 pm »
Hi ,

Tank you for the reply :)

I did manage to get overclocking stable , but to do so i need to set vcore to +0,125 (with 1,400 as normal for bios) wich lead to 1.552 in idle , and 1.488 in load .