Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD5 (rev. 2.0) - Post restarts/corruption

Tarcel

GA-X58A-UD5 (rev. 2.0) - Post restarts/corruption
« on: July 26, 2011, 06:16:16 am »
Greetings,

I've been having a randomly repeating issue ever since I designed and built my current system a year or so ago. Basically, every once in a while, when I first turn the system on it will begin powering up for maybe 5 seconds, then turn itself off. A few seconds after that, it will turn on again and, generally speaking, then continue normally through boot and into windows.

I've checked the cabling inside the case a few times to make sure everything is secure, as well as checking to make sure the power switch is wired correctly to the front panel section of the motherboard, but I've been unable to locate a problem. Once I get into windows, I've never had a single problem - no random restarts, freezes, or crashes despite heavy bleeding-edge gaming, raytracing using all 6 cores/12 threads, and so on. The system is basically rock stable after POST, runs very cool (generally below 40 celsius idling and never above 60 even with all cores at full bore), and all voltage levels have always looked fine, so I've kind of ignored this problem up until now.

More recently, however, things seem to have deteriorated a bit and I'm trying to figure out the best way to proceed. A week or two ago, after I pressed the power button it did one of the power down/turn back on things I mentioned above, but instead of proceeding normally, the system turned off again, then back on. Then again.

So it did this three times in a row before letting me far enough to actually see anything on the screen and this time, I got a message from the motherboard that the primary bios was corrupted and that it was being restored from the backup. After that the restoration, I got back into windows normally.

I figured, okay, maybe this was a fluke - I updated the bios to the latest version again (FE, I believe) and proceeded as normal. Then a couple days later, turning on the system immediately produced the corrupt bios thing (without any powering on/off cycling) and another restoration. I got into windows fine after that, but now I'm worried.

The real issue here is whether the problem is the motherboard, the power supply, or something else entirely (though I doubt that). After seeing the number of posts in these forums relating to very similar problems, with cycling power at POST, I'm more inclined to believe it is the motherboard itself.

Any help would be appreciated and I'll provide any other info you might need.

Here're my system specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 (rev. 2.0)
Processor: Intel I7-980X Extreme Edition
Memory: CORSAIR HX3X12G1600C9 (12GB total)
Video Card: ZOTAC ZT-40102-10P GTX 480 (Nvidia)
Hard Drive # 1: Western Digital 600GB Velociraptor - WD6000HLHX
Hard Drive # 2: Western Digital 750GB - WD7500AAKS
Optical Drive: PIONEER BDR-205BKS
Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-1000HX
Case: Coolermaster Haf-X
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Monitor: HP LP2475W
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-X58A-UD5 (rev. 2.0) - Post restarts/corruption
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 09:41:30 pm »
Hi and welcome.

This is a common occurance with many Intel based boards especially if they are overclocked at all. The first thing you need to do is to update your main BIOS to the latest version. While doing so make sure that the box for Keep DMI Data is cleared. You will find this on the QFlash homepage. Once completed load Optimised BIOS Default settings and make any other tweaks that you want to. Then go to the BIOS homepoage and press F9  whcih will bring up an info box. It will show you both BIOS versions.  F10 for save and exit. You need to synchronise them both. To do that, reboot and where you would normally press DEL to enter the BIOS, instead press Alt + F12, this will flash the Backup BIOS with the MAIN BIOS contents.   Do not worry when you see a recovery comment, that is normal and means it is flashing the backup BIOS.

At the end of it you should have both Main and Backup BIOS storing the same versions.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Arith

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 09:42:19 am »
Hi, does this also work on an AMD board GA 970A UD3? ;D

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 12:34:27 pm »
Hi and welcome.

Yes it should work the same on either platform. Sometimes it can take a few attempts though to get the timing just right so don't give up if it fails on the first one or two.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 12:36:29 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 08:26:20 am »
You may need to use a PS/2 keyboard too, sometimes USB ones can be picky.   If you are using USB and don't have a PS/2, try to find a USB to PS/2 adapter.   And be sure you try the right ALT key as well, sometimes that gets it on problematic USB KB's