Official GIGABYTE Forum

chipset missing from device manager.

chipset missing from device manager.
« on: January 30, 2012, 04:28:01 pm »
Hi and thanks to anyone kind enough to help a newb. I have a 990fxa-ud5. I couldn't find 9 series chipset drivers on amd so I downloaded one from gigabyte. I can't seem to get it to update and I don't see chipset in my device manager. I used the chipset driver on the mobo install cd to set up my network. I don't have any idea why the chipset isn't listed I'm used to nvidia chipsets and going to nvidia and downloading it from there. I like to leave the nvidia firewall out. Could the board be bad? I'm not sure if network adapter and chipset are the same.  On my other builds it was really simple pick the download and install.  I'm not finding alot of answers on the net or in forums. I still have a ram issue that I haven't been able to work on until I resolve this. I'm embarrassed to post this actually. I like to overclock but no to extremes that's why I'm defficient in these areas. My switch was to go to ddr3 and sata3 and leave asus and dual core ddr2 behind. I bought corsair dominator 1866 ram which I can't seem to run past 1333 mhz so I could do slight processor oc and ram. I'm really in over my head here. Thanks for any help.

autotech

Re: chipset missing from device manager.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 02:33:03 am »
try the following link please.

http://drivers.softpedia.com/downloadTag/Gigabyte+GA-990FXA-UD5+Chipset+Driver

Post back results if you need anything else please. You can also download it directly from gigabyte at the following link.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3891#dl

Pick downloads then drivers then operating system i used windows 7 64 bit and got the following result.

AMD Chipset Driver (include chipset \ sata raid driver)

Which is different than the lan driver they have listed.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 02:35:44 am by autotech »
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: chipset missing from device manager.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 03:55:47 am »
Hi there,

If you haven't already done so you might want to look through this thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,5704.0.html where I review the GA-990FXA-UD5 as it might help answer some questions.

When it comes to running RAM above 1333MHz a lot depends on the CPU you are using. But, you will have to manually set the speed, timing and possibly voltage to run the RAM at it's rated spec's.

At the present time the 9 series chipsets actually use the same drivers as the 8 series, which is why you couldn't find any on the AMD website. The Chipset and the LAN are different components and as such use different drivers. Do you actually have a problem with any of the devices when you look in Device Manager?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 04:03:06 am by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.