Official GIGABYTE Forum

Videos of BIOS/BOOT Bugs Still Present in Latest Release (GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3)

Oubadah

F7e is the latest BIOS for the GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3, and it's still buggy.

First, the boot bug that makes the systems power down, then power up when you press the reset button (I think it's also the one that restores the BIOS [from 2nd chip] for no reason). I happened to get this bug when I was trying to film the HT bug. Here you can see that the system is running, I press the reset button, it starts to restart normally, but then it powers down completely and restarts. Interestingly, HT did not revert in this instance.

Turn up the volume to hear what's happening:

http://youtu.be/WffgnI9omEw

And now the Hyper-Threading bug. Using the reset button causes HT to revert to 'Enable' when I had set it to 'Disable' in the BIOS:

http://youtu.be/rO2zAP0mF9w

PLEASE NOTE: These bugs do not only happen when using the reset button - if that were the case, I wouldn't know about them because I practically never use the reset button and it wouldn't really be an issue. I'm only using the reset button here because it's the easiest way to induce the issues for the purpose of demonstration.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 04:18:38 am by Oubadah »

Ben

Re: Videos of BIOS/BOOT Bugs Still Present in Latest Release (GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 07:54:23 am »
I have the same board, but using F5 BIOS,  was considering on updating to F7e, but I think I will leave well alone, my motto "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Ben.

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
i7 2600 (4.00GHZ)
Ripjaws X 2@8GB XL (1.7V)
Kingston Blu Hyper 2@2GB (1.7V)
Corsair TX 650
HD 6870 1gb
blu ray + dvd
1T wd hdd
500gb WD hdd
Gigabyte Armor+MX case
Noctua air cooling (4 fans)
AOC 27'
Win 8 pro Full

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 08:30:27 am »
Hi

Have you made sure that you have updated the Intel ME as that is the main cause of this issue ?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Oubadah

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 09:41:34 am »
Hi

Have you made sure that you have updated the Intel ME as that is the main cause of this issue ?

You mean drivers or firmware?

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 08:23:26 am »
Firmware is included in the BIOS update, but yes it would be good to also update the drivers too.

What was your BIOS update procedure, and did you flash the backup to match the main once you updated?

Oubadah

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 08:29:12 am »
Firmware is included in the BIOS update, but yes it would be good to also update the drivers too.

What was your BIOS update procedure, and did you flash the backup to match the main once you updated?

I flashed the first BIOS with DMI data unchecked. Then I loaded optimized defaults and configured it. Then I flashed the configured BIOS to the second chip. And then I even did the long battery-out-for-1-hour CMOS reset thing that you or dark mantis suggested in another thread (BTW, nice battery positioning Gigabyte  ::)), but it's still the same.

ME driver is 8.0.0.1351 which one of you recently gave me, is that still the latest?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 08:47:38 am by Oubadah »

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 09:05:38 am »
Unchecked?   So, @BIOS then?   It works much better these days, but I still recommend DOS or Qflash with Keep DMI Disabled, unless that's what you meant?   Unchecked sounds like @BIOS though, so I had to verify.

You should flash as mentioned, then enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults ONLY, then save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS, then make any adjustments you need.   Clearing the CMOS right after flashing is a good suggestion as well, since you are having issues,  just right after the flash though and you only need to do it for a minute or so for this.  Then do the optimized dance, then flash backup BIOS.

ME Driver interface isn't really an issue, it's the ME firmware in the BIOS.   Not sure what the latest is actually, I see Intel is on 7.xx and Stasio is posting 8.xx now too, so you or I would need to ask Stasio what's going on there, but the driver isn't relevant to the issue it's the firmware included in the BIOS
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/30530-latest-overclocking-programs-system-info-benchmarking-stability-tools.html

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%22management+engine%22

Since you continue to have issues, have you tested with other memory, lower overclock (No CPU PLL Overvoltage), lower memory speeds, ect?  And stay away from reset, I know you said you did for the videos but still!   Hahaha :D

« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 09:37:09 am by Lsdmeasap »

Oubadah

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 09:47:42 am »
Unchecked?   So, @BIOS then?   It works much better these days, but I still recommend DOS or Qflash with Keep DMI Disabled, unless that's what you meant?   Unchecked sounds like @BIOS though, so I had to verify.

No, I always use the the BIOS q-flash, never the windows based thing. Unchecked, deselected - whatever you call it, I told it NOT to  Keep DMI.  :)

You should flash as mentioned, then enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults ONLY, then save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS, then make any adjustments you need.   Clearing the CMOS right after flashing is a good suggestion as well, just right after the flash though and you only need to do it for a minute or so for this.  Then do the optimized dance, then flash backup BIOS.

That's how I did it: flash->CMOS clear->load optimized defaults->restart->configure BIOS->restart->copy BIOS

Since you continue to have issues, have you tested with other memory, lower overclock (No CPU PLL Overvoltage), lower memory speeds, ect?  And stay away from reset, I know you said you did for the videos but still!   Hahaha :D

This is the second set of RAM, and it's set to the standard 1333MHz/9-9-9-24/2t/1.5v. NO overclock at all. And CPU PLL Overvoltage is disabled in the BIOS.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%22management+engine%22

Just one thing on the ME drivers on Intel's site: In the release notes, they only specify Intel-build boards. I just want to double check that they are intended for other boards too (Gigabyte, Asus, MSI etc.)?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 09:52:45 am by Oubadah »

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 09:55:18 am »
OK, no problem!   I just had to ask because of how you worded it is all.   @BIOS is ok to use here lately, but I still always suggest non-windows flashing.

There may be something wrong with your board then, I've not seen anyone else with your model complain after the updates, so not sure what else you could do except RMA the board really.  Are you in the UK?  If so maybe you could talk it over with Runn3R and see if he could arrange a quick RMA for you.

Intel says that on many of their drivers, that's nothing to worry about, they like to think they're special I guess  ;D  Or they just mean Intel based, but ya I know what you mean, sometimes it says only specific Intel boards by model but they are for any.

See, here is same on your motherboard page @ GBT, in Chipset section
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3851#dl
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 09:58:15 am by Lsdmeasap »

Oubadah

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 08:33:32 am »
It's not the board, because I have THREE Gigabyte 1155 motherboards (their 775 and 1156 boards were actually good, so I had this false sense of security - shouldn't have put all my eggs in one basket), and I can recreate the issue on all three.

I just spent half a day swapping the Z68 with my P67A-UD7 and testing it. The  P67A-UD7 is far better than the Z68, in that it took quite a few attempts to make it loop. But sure enough, it did the exact same thing as in my first video, immediately followed by resetting HT.

EDIT: Tried the battery out for one hour thing on the UD7... BAD idea - when I tried to power it up again afterwards it went absolutely berserk and just boot looped indefinitely. I had to start it a bunch of times before I could even see POST. All this and it hadn't restored from the backup BIOS. It was running the latest F7c the whole time.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:09:05 am by Oubadah »

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 07:50:39 pm »
Ya, but with the latest BIOS and not using reset button do you see it?   Everyone else that was previous affected has reported the latest BIOSes fixed their issues.   And I don't see it on P67 or Z68, unless something is configured wrong, pushed too hard, or I use the reset button.

HT I can't look into for you as I only have a 2500K, you'll have to see if they can sort that out for you directly.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 07:51:36 pm by Lsdmeasap »

Oubadah

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 11:06:27 pm »
Ya, but with the latest BIOS and not using reset button do you see it?

Not so far... But that's what happened with the z68 bard: the BIOS came out and the notes said the issue was fixed. I took their word for it, flashed it and happily started using it thinking that everything was OK. Then one day it just happened without me provoking it. With the P67 I'll have to wait and see I guess...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 12:24:20 am by Oubadah »

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 06:39:46 pm »
Great to hear!   Ya, reset via button or ctrl-alt-del in DOS or while os is booting often can cause this.   I have sent in a new reply back on my previous discussions a few weeks ago with Gigabyte about this issue, and let them know about this thread and some of the other replies over the past two weeks on this and other forums about the new round of updates not fixing this for everyone.

Stay off that reset button, and resetting in the middle of bootup, and you should be ok.   I'll keep you posted if I hear anything back on the reports I sent it.

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 08:36:03 am »
I have a test BIOS for you, this may fix your reset button issues.   Please test and confirm, thanks!
http://www.mediafire.com/?j4qk0qu78o1vksk