Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA785G-UD3H (rev. 1.0) Setting up problems!

Petdroo

GA-MA785G-UD3H (rev. 1.0) Setting up problems!
« on: December 02, 2009, 10:32:01 am »
 have recently upgraded my ECS nvidia/gf8100vm-m5 to your GA-MA785G-UD3H (rev. 1.0) motherboard.
I have a few questions.
1) When I first started the system up everything seem to load up automatically, and I have not needed to reformat windows7x64. However the boot process is very slow compared to the ami bios I had before, and there does not seem to be any fast post option like the more simple ami bios. It seems to boot ok but then hangs slightly at DMI pool data, then boots into windows very slowly. On the old chipset it booted within 15seconds! And with the fast boot option you could skip the full system check.
2) So is there any fast boot option in the award bios?
3) I have reseated all conections, should I reformat windows?
4) I have two Hitachi sata HDT7210108SLA360 HARD DRIVES, What settings would suit these best, it all seems much more complicated in this award bios, as in the ami you could just set boot sata and disable ide. Making it boot slightly quicker. I notice there are many more options in the award, but it all seems very complicated.
5) Can I cross fire the on board ati 4200 graphics with the hd 4650 graphic card? And do I need to set this in bios?
Many thanks for taking the time to read this, I look forward to your responses.
Update!...I have now reformated, and reinstalled, still same problem please any one ?

One thing I have noticed is the mb has a 2x4pin 12v connector, my old one had a 1x 4pin, I thought this was for more expasion options.
I think this might be the problem some one tell me if I am wrong?
It is currently connected to a rather load CIT 700w atx power supply but it does not have an 8pin connecter.

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
Re: GA-MA785G-UD3H (rev. 1.0) Setting up problems!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 10:43:32 am »
Have you tried updating to F4 BIOS? http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=3138#anchor_os

I run the SATA in AHCI mode, you can also change it to boot from HDD then change the HDD boot priority.

http://ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/charts.html - no you can't run those cards in Xfire. You will need another 4650 or 4670

You can use the 4pin connector instead of the 8pin. But it may well limit you if you want to overclock.
There's no place like ::1

Petdroo

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 11:24:00 am »
Thankyou for your quick response. I already have the F4, 16/09/2009  bios so I am not keen to update it to the only newer one whitch is a beta version.
Can I just say that gigabyte tech support have not replied atall! I filled in there tech request 3 times 2 weeks ago!
I think it might be a fawlty board.
Do you have any more advice?
This is how it shows in standard cmos:

IDE CHANNEL 0 MASTER NONE (THESE MUST BE FOR REAL IDE DRIVES)
IDE CHANNEL 0 SLAVE NONE
IDE CHANNEL 1 MASTER NONE (IF I PUT THE SATA IN SATA_2 IT SHOW HERE)
IDE CHANNEL 1 SLAVE NONE
IDE CHANNEL 2 MASTER HDT7210108SLA360(SATA_0)
IDE CHANNEL 2 SLAVE HDT7210108SLA360 (SATA_1)
IDE CHANNEL 3 MASTER CDR0M (SATA_5)
IDE CHANNEL 3 SLAVE NONE

ALTHOUGH NOTE IN THE ADVANCED CMOS SETTINGS UNDER
FIRST BOOT DEVICE I HAVE IT SET TO
1ST BOOT DEVICE HARD DISK (THE OS IS HERE)
2ND BOOT DEVICE HARD DISK (THIS IS A STORAGE SATA HD)
3RD BOOT DEVICE CDROM

IS THAT ALL CORRECT?

I WILL GO FOR THE ASUS IF I END UP SENDING THIS BACK! ALTHOUGH THEY DO NOT DO A 785G CHIPSET IN FULL ATX.

oggmonster

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 11:41:46 am »
Yes thats all correct. So is it just posting that you find slow? Or is it the actual loading of the OS/OS useage?

Petdroo

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 11:57:03 am »
Pretty much everything.
It seems to boot ok but then hangs slightly at DMI pool data, then boots into windows very slowly. On the old chipset it booted within 12 seconds! And with the fast boot option you could skip the full system check.
It takes about 3 or 4 minutes to get in windows, and it is a fresh install.Wish I went for another brand, thought the amd chipset would work well with the amd proccesser.

oggmonster

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 12:02:51 pm »
I would try running a memtest and HDD diagnostics. It shouldn't take that long regardless of chipset, is going to be a problem somewhere else.

Petdroo

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 12:10:17 pm »
I would try running a memtest and HDD diagnostics
How do I do that? I pretty new to all this. :)

oggmonster

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 12:16:07 pm »
Get memtest from http://www.memtest.org/#downiso burn the ISO image using nero image burner, or something similar. Then in BIOS set it to boot from CD, then boot off the CD and let it run.

If you're using hitatchi drives download the diagnostics from here http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT download the CD image and burn with image burner. Make sure BIOS is set to boot from CD then run a full media scan test when it loads  :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:16:54 pm by oggmonster »

Petdroo

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 12:31:41 pm »
THANKS I WILL TRY IT,HOWEVER I DOUBT IF IT IS THE HARD DRIVE,AS IT WORED FINE BEFORE.

Petdroo

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 02:25:37 pm »
JUST WONDERED IF IT DOES TURN OUT TO BE A FAWLTY MB.WHAT IF THE DEALER WILL NOT HONOUR THE WARRANTY?BECAUSE THEY SAID THEY SELL THOUSANDS AND CAN NOT OFFER ANY TECH HELP OR ADVICE,AND GIGABYTE HAVE NOT EVEN REPLIED DOES ANY ONE HAVE A CONTACT NUMBER FOR UK SUPPORT?

oggmonster

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 02:33:16 pm »
If the motherboard turns out to be faulty you can open a request here http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/ServiceCenter.aspx

Petdroo

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 03:11:42 pm »
Thanks but they have not yet replied to my other 3 tech support questions using that method.2 weeks ago now.. :-[

Petdroo

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 05:29:37 pm »
ok I seem to have solved the problem at last,Don't ask me how!
 ??? It is still a litle slower booting than my old nvidia board,which is very poor in my opinion,is there no fast boot option?
I have windows7 x 64, in advanced bios settings for sata it has 3 settings,native ide,raid and ahci, I want a very quick HTPC for media center use,eg mkv files, dts/dolby sound,bluray. what is the best setting for this?Any Ideas any one?

Petdroo

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 07:41:58 pm »
I spoke to soon again, its started again....................
It hangs on dma pool data then takes 3/4 minutes to boot into windows 7.
So far I have have
Reset bios
taken bios battery out
Reset optimised and safe defualts
striped the machine of all components 1 by 1
when i put it all back together i refomated the drive again!
Then it worked great a few times then sudedenly started doing it again. It must be a fault bios chip.
It already has the latest safe bios, if i flash it i could risk the warranty.
What do i do i am pulling my hair out.

Petdroo

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 10:52:37 pm »
I cant get that hard drive test to work, i have burnt image to cd and booted from the cd and it just sais entering dos...and freezes.Oh this is a nightmare can anyone help??