Official GIGABYTE Forum

Slow Bios after flashing Marvell 2.2.0.1125 - how to restore original Bios FULLY

I have a X58A-UD7 (rev 1) motherboard, which was working fine on BIOS F9d. Then a new Marvell BIOS firmware came out (2.2.0.1125), that was supposed to improve SATA 3 speeds on the Marvell controller. I did a quick search on forum posts about it, and many people reported it worked OK for them. And I never had BIOS problems in the past. So I flashed it. But it was a huge mistake. Afterwards, my BIOS loading time took 12 seconds longer. It would hang on the "C1h" light indicator, which is "memory check". This is the step just before you see the BIOS on your screen. I tried to remove the Marvell BIOS, but it seems to be an incomplete removal. Because when I installed the Marvell BIOS, there were 7 sections written, but when I tried to uninstall it, it only erased 1 section. I'm afraid the Marvell BIOS installation has corrupted my Gigabyte BIOS, and am very upset!

I've tried to install an older Gigabyte BIOS (F7), but it made no difference. In fact, something weird happened, on the older BIOS, AHCI would not work anymore, it would say "AHCI Bios not installed" when scanning AHCI hard drives at BIOS, and simply hang there. This never happened before I installed the Marvell BIOS! I had to change back to BIOS F9a then F9d, to get AHCI working again.

Another thing I noticed is, the BIOS freeze is shorter if I leave the memory on default 1033mhz (the freeze would then be only 5 seconds, compared to 12 seconds on my usual 1600mhz). Obviously this freeze wasn't happening at all before the Marvell BIOS.

I tried clearing CMOS and even taking the battery out overnight, no difference.

It looks like the Marvell BIOS has corrupted the AHCI Bios AND memory checker on the Gigabyte motherboard. And reflashing the Gigabyte BIOS doesn't correct the problems, because they don't update AHCI Bios or memory checker.

So my question is - is there a way to get a COMPLETE Gigabyte BIOS, which will reflash everything back to factory settings, including the AHCI Bios, and the memory checker?

I got the Marvell BIOS firmware from here:
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:30:47 am by cutebirdy »

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
Please flash the latest BIOS again, or whatever latest one you want to use.  Then load optimized defaults, save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS.   Then once in the BIOS again set your SATA settings to what you need to load windows.

Then, go into the Integrated Peripherals BIOS page, and down to the Marvell settings.   Find the "SATA3 Firmware Selection Mode" setting and set this to Force.  Then save/apply/reboot and let it boot to windows, before windows loads after the IRQ screen you will see it update the Marvell firmware at the top of the screen, that should correct your issues.   If not, try the same thing again with no drives connected to the controller.

If that does not help you'll need to ask around at the Station-Drivers forum, as I'm sure others have made the same mistake you did when flashing the complete package.   I know many others use those firmware updates, but I believe the read in the forums on some threads where users have posted proper package or instructions on how to properly use the firmware they provide.

Just so you hear it again, as I'm sure others have already told you, the Intel controller is best overall for speed and stability.  The Marvell controller ONLY gets faster sequential speeds, and those ONLY matter to benchmarks, and aside from that it is often very unstable, so you are best to use the Intel controller.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:35:46 am by Lsdmeasap »

Thanks for the reply.

I've already done what you suggested. I loaded another BIOS, shut down, press clear CMOS, turn on, load optimized defaults, save, reboot, then adjusted BIOS to my usual settings. No difference!

I also know about the force Marvell option, it flashed the Marvell firmware but again, no difference. Because the corruption is not the Marvell firmware itself, but the AHCI bios and memory checker.

And I can't talk in station-drivers, because everyone there speaks french, I had to use google translate to see what they were even saying. They all use different motherboards to mine too. I keep seeing people referring to station-drivers, as if it's so good, but after this experience I'm avoiding that site forever!!!

Again I ask - because I'm quite sure what the problem is - how do I flash the AHCI Bios and the memory checker BIOS (which are separate from the standard BIOS) with Gigabyte factory default? Why doesn't Gigabyte provide this, so we can make our motherboard completely fresh again? Simply flashing the BIOS Gigabyte provides on their website will leave traces of corrupted junk behind.

To be frank, I think Gigabyte is part to blame for my problem, it says it has "Dual BIOS" suggesting you can go back to a backup BIOS in case things go wrong with the new BIOS, but I was never given this option. Because the motherboard didn't think there was a problem with the new BIOS (even though there was!), it erased the backup BIOS with the new one!

[Oh, and yes I know the Intel controller is still best despite SATA2, I just got a SATA3 SSD and got greedy thinking I might get lucky and have faster bootup times with the new Marvell firmware, boy was I wrong!]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 12:50:33 pm by CuteBirdy »

Lsdmeasap

The AHCI is an option ROM, not a BIOS, same applies for the memory checker.  These could not be changed by the firmware you flashed, only by manually editing them in a BIOS and flashing it, or reflashing the BIOS.

Yes, I know that forum is French, sorry!   Have you tried posting your question in English and then also in French in the same thread, if not please do as I'm sure someone can help and they've surely seen this issue before.   Did you browse around their forum and find the Marvell firmware threads?  If not look, there's probably info about this issue in one of those too.

AHCI BIOS and memory checker are included in the MAIN BIOS as part of the actual BIOS file, they are reflashed anytime you flash the BIOS as the BIOS flashes a complete chip with the new BIOS.   I could change out the ROM for you, but that wouldn't help, it would just flash a new ROM in with the BIOS flash, same as the regular BIOS flashing does.

Please clear the DMI pool, this may help!   Flash a normal regular BIOS using FlashSPI with the /c switch at the end of the command, or flash using @BIOS and check the Clear DMI Pool option before you browse to the BIOS file and flash it.

If that does not help, unplug the PSU from the board, press and hold the power on switch for one minute, then remove the battery and place a jumper or other short on the Clear CMOS Pins.  Then let it sit like that for 12+ hours.  Then connect the PSU back, remove the jumper and put the battery back in.  Then do the optimized default dance.

If you want to kick in the dual BIOS recovery manually you can!   Here's how, see the end of my second post here, for the PSU trick
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/27576-bios-flashing-how-qflash-guide.html

Gigabyte is not to blame for you flashing some un-official firmware into your board from a random site that isn't even in a language you speak.   I'm not trying to sound mean or anything like that, but you can't blame Gigabyte for your own errors.

Remove all USB items from the board when you next try to start it, that may be slowing the memory checking process.  Also remove all devices from the Marvell ports until you sort this out.

The memory checking process is not a separate BIOS or anything like you are thinking, it is all included in the main BIOS, same applies to the AHCI ROM's.   There is an Intel AHCI ROM, and the Marvell firmware ROM contains both it's RAID module and AHCI module, which are both flashed when you force the Marvell update, the Intel one is reflashed as part of the main BIOS every time you update it.   None are separate at all, except the Marvell as it goes onto it's own chip.

What you probably need to do is properly flash the firmware you originally were trying to do, as I've known many users update theirs that way.   I'll lookup the correct procedure for you to do that, or find one of those users and contact them for you.

When you downloaded the firmware, did you download the untouched one or the MOD one?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:13:04 pm by Lsdmeasap »

Lsdmeasap

From the readme file, it looks like you can totally erase the Marvell BIOS via

type 'go -b -e'   Erase only BIOS
type 'go -e'       Erase every sector
type 'go -x -e'   Erase only Firmware on MAGNI

I would try that, then reflash the BIOS and set Force on the firmware and that should erase what you put in there and correct it and flash back in the Gigabyte one.

If you want to wait a little bit, please do, as I have contacted someone who mentioned updating theirs and liking the outcome, so maybe they know where the thread is with users who've had issues.   Hopefully he will get back to us later today!

Also, it looks like this is the main thread there for Marvell flashing, and some users are asking questions in English so you may get along ok asking, but I'd also include a french translation just in case.   And of course browse through here from a web translator like Live or Google
http://www.station-drivers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2876&sid=43f6652761bbc8b9e324ce771c836c54

A member here may be able to help as well, as I see he's posted there often, so you may want to PM him as well
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=3723
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:25:15 pm by Lsdmeasap »

Thanks again for the quick reply! I've made a post on the station-drivers forum like you suggested, will see if anyone replies: http://www.station-drivers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=3666

If flashing the Gigabyte MAIN BIOS updates the AHCI bios and memory checker like you said, then why is it that when I revert back to Bios F7 (an earlier BIOS) using @BIOS, with clear DMI pool, there was a weird thing happening - it said "AHCI Bios not found" when scanning for AHCI hard drives? Now, I was using Bios F7 before for a long time, and NEVER had this problem. It only became a problem after installing the new Marvell firmware. Interestingly, the Marvell firmware was specifically titled "AHCI" too. Piecing all this together, I can only conclude that the Marvell firmware has done something to the AHCI on the motherboard, which a fresh flash of a Gigabyte main Bios was unable to correct. And of course, the memory checker is still slow after flashing a new Gigabyte main Bios.

I did clear the DMI pool, I used @Bios first, then I read somewhere that FlashSPI was supposed to be the best method, so I tried that too - no difference.

Regarding your advice on unplugging PSU & remove battery etc - I did that, except not for 12+hours, it was for overnight, so 9 hours. Will that extra 3 hours make a difference - I think unlikely? Also I couldn't find a place to put a jumper on the Clear CMOS pins, instead I just pressed the Clear CMOS button for a minute... and besides, if we take out the battery for 9 hours, isn't that enough also?

I did remove all USB items from the board, turned off legacy USB, still no difference...

When I downloaded the firmware from station-drivers, there was only 1 version, inside it is a marvell firmware for AHCI and one for IDE. I used the AHCI one.

Basically, the Marvell firmware has done something weird to the computer, which a fresh flash of numerous Gigabyte main Bios's can't fix. What could possibly be causing the problem, if you say that the main Bios is supposed to refresh everything completely??

Lsdmeasap

See my edits above, in case you missed any of the info I was just editing in.

AHCI BIOS not found always shows if you do not have a CD/DVD player connected, or if you do not have any drives in AHCI mode connected, that is a normal message and has nothing to do with what you think.

Trust me, today is not my first day, and I modify BIOSes all the time, I know what is in there and what isn't.  ;)

Yes, the Marvell ROM (Included in the BIOS) has an IDE, AHCI, and RAID section.  When you flashed you must have corrupted some or all of it, I'm not sure as I wasn't there watching  ;D  The AHCI message you are seeing is from the Intel controller anyway, not the Marvell one, see here is the file it's from, taken out of a X58 BIOS

Please try the extended clear CMOS as I mentioned, it may not help but often when there is major issues it can.  As for your 9 hours vs. 12, ya that probably isin't going to make a difference now that you say that.    You probably just need to erase and get the correct firmware flashed into the Marvell BIOS chip, so none of that may help until you do.  If you did not remove the battery and unplug the PSU, and drain power ect as I mentioned then no, clearing the CMOS via the button is not the same.  Sorry, I forgot there isn't a jumper on this board, haven't used mine in a while.

I believe the problem is you have the wrong firmware flashed into the Marvell ROM, and or corrupted it.   Force option in the BIOS should have reflashed it, but it's possible you flashed something additional in there that the BIOS force option is not erasing, that's why I mentioned above the erase all sectors is what i thought would work, because that seems to me to mean erase EVERYTHING, then force back in correct firmware via the Gigabyte BIOS would relash in everything that should be there properly.

Hopefully someone will help us get this sorted out for you, or the erase will work if you end up trying it!  Don't let this frustrate you too much anymore, I have one of these boards and it worse comes to worse I will do to mine what you did to yours, and then I'm fairly confident I can fix it, then I'll tell you what I did so you can fix yours.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:44:21 pm by Lsdmeasap »

From the readme file, it looks like you can totally erase the Marvell BIOS via

type 'go -e'       Erase every sector
type 'go -x -e'   Erase only Firmware on MAGNI

I would try that, then reflash the BIOS and set Force on the firmware and that should erase what you put in there and correct it and flash back in the Gigabyte one.

If you want to wait a little bit, please do, as I have contacted someone who mentioned updating theirs and liking the outcome, so maybe they know where the thread is with users who've had issues.   Hopefully he will get back to us later today!

Also, it looks like this is the main thread there for Marvell flashing, and some users are asking questions in English so you may get along ok asking, but I'd also include a french translation just in case.   And of course browse through here from a web translator like Live or Google
http://www.station-drivers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2876&sid=43f6652761bbc8b9e324ce771c836c54

A member here may be able to help as well, as I see he's posted there often, so you may want to PM him as well
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=3723

Interesting, the readme file that came with the Marvell bios didn't say "go -e" was an option, closest was "go -b -e". I think this is worth a try! I'll probably try it tomorrow (after checking this forum again) , will report results when I've tried.

Sure, your friend's input would be most welcome. I've posted in that thread you suggested, in English first, if not enough reply I'll translate to French :)

Lsdmeasap

Sorry, see my edits above again! :D

I would go ahead and edit your post over there right now, so it included French and English just in case.  I contacted a member here from there, and a member on another forum, if they can't help I'd say go ahead with the erase all sectors because then it will be blank, and if that doesn't correct it with a Force flash from within the MAIN BIOS I'll be able to help you properly flash with the other Marvell firmwares.   I'm sure there's just a special method you are supposed to use, like only flash this part, or don't flash that part, ect and from your comment about 7 parts getting flashed that makes me think it was probably all when it should have been only certain ones.

Again, see my edits above, don't worry - we'll get this sorted out!

OK, I've been doing what you suggested - "go -e" to erase the Marvell firmware. It went through 7 sections rather than just 1 this time. But it came up with some kind of error message for 6 sections, something like "Autoload not found!". But at the end it said "Erase complete". Not sure what this implies. But, I went ahead and tried reflashing Gigabyte BIOS F9d with Flashspi /c - it still had the same slow memory checking problem. Then I flashed Gigabyte Bios F7 with @Bios with clear DMI, and, it still has the same problem as before, namely, "AHCI Bios not found". In other words, there is no difference, after doing "Go -e". Argh!

I know something is not right, because I never got the "AHCI Bios not found" error message before, on that same Gigabyte Bios.

Which edits were you refering to?

OK I'll convert my English post on station-drivers to French now...

Lsdmeasap

Not sure which edit's you missed, we were both replying at the same time and I was editing so read all my comments again just to be sure :D

Also be sure to PM F5BJR here as I mentioned and linked above, he helps a lot in that thread over at Station Drivers, so I'm sure he can help!

As for the AHCI BIOS not found, that look like an edit you missed, see my comments on that and the image above.  That is the Intel AHCI ROM, maybe you just never noticed it before or weren't using Intel AHCI, or had a CD and HDD connected before (And don't now).  That is a common message, for the Intel controller.  It's most commonly seen when the Intel controller is set to IDE mode or RAID sometimes too, if set to AHCI mode and drives are connected it will say AHCI BIOS installed, usually but not always as the Intel controller and it's message text is often translated funny :D  

Haha, I know it used to say "This Will Take Few Minutes" at startup and I always laughed on that one.

You only flashed the AHCI Marvell updater right, not the IDE one?   Also, can you please provide the exact link to the file you download
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:36:16 pm by Lsdmeasap »

Wow that was scary, I decided to try flashing the very first Gigabyte Bios for this motherboard (F2), to see if it made a difference, and right after flashing, my computer would not boot up! It would power up, then power off after 3 seconds, then power up again after 3 seconds, then off again etc. I turned it off, waited for some minutes, tried again, and it powered up fine after that. Is this something strange?

With this F2 Gigabyte Bios, I am getting no memory checking freezes, which is great! BUT I can't use the Intel AHCI ROM at all, with AHCI enabled in BIOS it will just freeze when detecting my hard drive. I have to disconnect the hard drive, then it says "AHCI not found" or "not installed". While it might be a common message for you, I don't think the freezing when detecting a hard drive is common? Please note, this AHCI problem is not about the Marvell, but about the Intel! So it looks like the Marvell AHCI firmware messed up the Intel AHCI firmware bigtime, which a fresh Bios installation can't even fix...

The exact download of the Marvell firmware I used, is the disk icon to the left of the words "Firmware pour MV-91xx Version 2.2.0.1125 New 05/01/12", on the page I linked in my original post up above. I'd link the file itself, but station-drivers website is not allowing me to right click on the icon to get the direct link!

I installed only the AHCI one, not the IDE. I installed it when I had AHCI enabled in BIOS (so, Intel AHCI), but when I had IDE enabled for Marvell SATA3.

I'll try to message that person you mentioned now... thanks
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:05:46 pm by CuteBirdy »

Lsdmeasap

Go back to the latest BIOS, and stop playing around for now until we hear back from someone with some experience on this, hopefully that will be F5BJR later today!  Yes that can be common to hang after a BIOS update like that, luckily your CPU was supported by that old BIOS or you would have to get another CPU to update the BIOS again.   So please stop playing for now :D  

Again, the AHCI ROM is a part of the BIOS, the flash you did cannot change that.  However, some BIOSes do not allow both controllers to be in RAID mode, and older BIOSes like you mention could have all kinds of unknown undocumented errors because they are old and rarely used so no one reports the bugs as they have already been fixed in later BIOSes.

So flash back to the latest BIOS and wait please.  And YES, that is a common Intel AHCI message on all boards at random times, settings, and configurations (It has nothing to do with the situation at hand)! :D  Trust me, I help Gigabyte users all day every day!

As for the link over there, ya I hate that!   Firefox will let ya copy though, so please confirm for me that this is the exact one, so I have the same files you do when and if I have to brick mine to try and fix this for you.
Code: [Select]
http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargement/marvell/sata/marvell_91xx_bios_2.2.0.1125(www.station-drivers.com).zip
On your edit comment, thanks!   I think that may be part of the issue why the flash failed for you, you need to have Marvell AHCI enabled when you flash Marvell AHCI firmware.    The real way to update the Marvell firmware on these boards is by inserting it into your BIOS, which I can do for you later if you want, but you need to get the controller working again first :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:09:24 pm by Lsdmeasap »

OK I'll stop playing around, as you put it :) I'm going to reflash back to latest BIOS right after this message, but that would mean having the memory check freeze coming back, that's OK since we're working on a fix :)

Sorry I just noticed you edited a previous post with pics about the "AHCI Bios Not Found" message, I now understand it's not a message to worry about. But it is certainly a problem though, that the BIOS froze completely when a drive is connected to the Intel AHCI, right after the "wait few seconds" message. This happened with BIOS F2 and F7. Doesn't happen with F9 BIOS, but F9 BIOS suffers from slow memory check as mentioned.

Yes, I confirm that link you posted (http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargement/marvell/sata/marvell_91xx_bios_2.2.0.1125(www.station-drivers.com).zip)) is the one I used.

On your edit comment, thanks!   I think that may be part of the issue why the flash failed for you, you need to have Marvell AHCI enabled when you flash Marvell AHCI firmware.    The real way to update the Marvell firmware on these boards is by inserting it into your BIOS, which I can do for you later if you want, but you need to get the controller working again first :)

I didn't know that before, I thought it would update the Marvell AHCI even if I didn't have it enabled at the time. But the Marvell firmware should rightly have picked this up and stopped automatically, rather than proceeding to alter Intel AHCI and maybe memory checker!

My priority is currently to get memory checker running properly again, so there is no slow boot problem... not sure if I'm game enough to update the Marvell later, but we shall see :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:18:32 pm by CuteBirdy »