Official GIGABYTE Forum

Can't undervolt on Z77N-WIFI

runc

Can't undervolt on Z77N-WIFI
« on: October 22, 2012, 05:13:40 pm »
I recently bought the Z77N-WIFI to pair with a 3570K CPU (in a Bitfenix prodigy - taking my cue from the Gigabyte promo video for this board).

If only I'd known that voltage control is completely disabled on this board, I'd never have bought it.  As I'm wanting to undervolt (would like to aim for a 4Ghz overclock on 0.9 volts, which Ivybridge is well capable of) I'd have been happy with a vCore cap - I understand that a 4+1 phase VRM wouldn't want to be pushed with high voltage, but there's no reason at all that I should be prevented from lowering the vCore!  This is a Z77 board after all, the only point of which is to allow setting higher multipliers on unlocked CPUs.

What are the chances of a future BIOS allowing for upper limits on vCore/PLL instead of disabling voltage tuning altogether?  The board lets me clock my CPU to a frequency I'm happy with, but it ups the voltage far past what's necessary for Ivybridge, and much higher than I'm happy with.  To prevent me (and many other enthusiasts who want to play with low-power ITX builds) from lowering voltages when the reason given is that the board can't cope with increased voltages is frustrating and baffling.  Voltage limits in configurable BIOS are standard, so why not just lower the limit to what the board can take?

P.S. As an aside, I have always used Asus boards before.  This is my first experience with a Gigabyte board.  It's looking to be my last, as so far I'm very much regretting it.

Re: Can't undervolt on Z77N-WIFI
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 05:25:02 pm »
Hello,

Yes, Please add this feature, I am reading all over other forums about people not being able to undervolt.  Many people have just returned the card because of this.

I don't care about setting the voltage higher, but currently it boosts the vcore to around 1.32 when i overclock my 2500k to 3.8... obviously the board cannot handle this and throttles.

Also, F3b bios cannot overclock at all.  Had to go back to F2 bios.