Official GIGABYTE Forum

SB Audigy card not working at all w/ Gigabyte GA-A55M-DS2 board

Hi All

I've been trying to troubleshoot a sound issue here for the past 2 days with no luck whatsoever.

I just put together a new system the other day:

Gigabyte GA-A55M-DS2 motherboard
AMD A4 3300 APU
4GB RAM
Windows XP SP3 (freshly installed)

Everything works great, except my Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer PCI soundcard. I know the card is old, but it should still work with this new board shouldn't it? The problem is there's simply no sound activity going on whatsoever. Windows recognizes the card that it's installed & working properly, but there is zero sound regardless of what I connect to the card (speakers, headphones) or what settings I try to use (analog/digital). I've tried several drivers, including a "custom" driver put out by Daniel K, I believe his name is, but..nothing!

I just tested the card in another PC and it definitely works, so it has to have something to do with the board or some sort of driver conflict/setting, perhaps something in the BIOS, but I'm not sure. There seems to be some sort of communication issue going on. The card doesn't seem to recognize anything that gets plugged in. For example, my speakers, when receiving a signal displays different sound options on its control POD, such as 3d effects, 5.1, 2.1, etc. None of those options are even showing up, it's as if the card is dead, even though it's not. My speakers work fine with anything other than this card right now, so it's not the speakers (i also tried 2 setsof headphones plugged directly into the card, same result)

Also, nothing is muted, all volumes are turned up. I've disabled the on-board audio and didn't even bother to install the on-board audio drivers after I installed XP thinking it might solve the problem, but it did not.

The board only has 1 PCI slot, so I can't try another slot here. What could this be? I'm starting to think the PCI slot is defective, but then again, windows recognizes the card & says it's working properly.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, THANKS

autotech

Re: SB Audigy card not working at all w/ Gigabyte GA-A55M-DS2 board
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 04:28:13 am »
You can disable onboard sound or in windows set your audigy to default in control panel. Also do a google search for danny k sound drivers the ones he makes are better than what creative puts out.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 03:41:59 pm »
Hi autotech

I have already tried disabling the onboard sound and trying 3 different versions the Danny K sound drivers with no success  :-\ This board and sound card just aren't getting along...I've tried everything...still no sound. Unless there's a setting in the BIOS that i'm not familiar with that needs changing. I just purchased this board a few days ago so am not all that familiar with its bios settings yet. I've done all the basic troubleshooting steps, even updated the bios to the latest version...still nothing. The audigy works, I just can't get it working with this board for some reason. Everything else is working great. My audigy is pretty old, i've had it for maybe 10-11 years, got it when it first came out...but I tested in another PC and it works as it should...maybe this board just doesn't like older parts?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 03:47:32 pm by aspartame »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 03:53:01 pm »
Hi there,

I have encountered a similar issue with my Delta 1010 soundcard (although it was on a different motherboard) and it was actually a problem with BIOS which was only resolved with an updated version.

You might find this situation applies in your case and you should contact Gigabyte Technical Support and see if they are aware of a problem or can duplicate it.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 03:42:55 am »
Hi absic

I updated the bios to the latest version yesterday but it did not seem to help  :-\

Since my OP I have tried using another working sound card (SB PCI 512)  however the end result was the same as it was with my Audigy (windows detects it, says it's working, but there's still no sound)

So, either the PCI slot is bad or these cards are just too old for this board? They definately are in working condition.

I e-mailed Gigabyte tech support 2 days ago and am still awaiting a response, I think they might be a little bit stumped  : :(

I'm thinking I should just RmA the board...unless there's some sort of bios setting or driver that needs tweaking?? What else could be preventing the pci slot from fully functioning?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 03:45:53 am by aspartame »

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 06:00:17 am »
Update: Found an old but working Kingston Ethernet card and put it to the test. Put it in the slot, XP recognized it right away & installed the drivers. Used this card in another PC a few weeks ago with no issues. Anyway, once the card was in and windows recognized it, the green lights on the slot lit up. Looked like it was good to go. I put the Ethernet cable in. Nope. Getting a "network cable is unplugged" error. So that makes 3 working cards all experiencing similar quirky issues with this PCI slot. I'm all out of ideas so I'm proceeding with a little RMA action.

autotech

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:10:42 pm »
Go to control panel and set it as default other than that you have done everything. I did have that problem and going to control panel and setting it as default worked for me.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA