Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3_iSSD+Intel i7-3770- Bios settings for 32GBGSkill F3-12800C

Hello,
I have just tried this 32GB (GSkill F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL) Memory in my Z68XP-UD3_iSSD motherboard, with an Intel i7-3770 (not K), Antec 750W PS, et. al., and I am getting repeated errors in MemTest. The motherboard Bios is updated to latest U1a.

This existing MB/CPU was previously running fine with two sets of GSkill F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL, for a total of 4X4GB =16GB, running at 1866 under the XMP Profile 1 with no adjustments to voltages or timings. That setup passed extensive MemTest testing, so I am assuming that the 4 memory slots and the memory controller are good.

I have cleared the bios, loaded optimized defaults, set the memory profile to to XMP, and incrementally increased QPI/VTT to 1.15v, with Dram voltage increased to 1.6v, and I am still getting early and repeated errors in every run of MemTest.
Here are the specifics of my most recent testing setup:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3_iSSD Rev 1.0
MB Bios: U1a 07/12/2012 Bios ID: 8A21AG0N
Processor: Intel i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz S-spec : SR0PK
Memory : GSkill F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL

Bios Settings:
CPU Vcore ............................... 1.152
QPI/VTT Voltage …………............. 1.200V [1.05V is stock (and XMP) setting]
DRAM Voltage …………................ 1.608V [1.50 is stock (and XMP) setting]

Channel A and Channel B Timing Settings (as set by XMP)

##Channel A and B Standard Timing Control##
CAS Latency Time ..................... 10
tRCD ....................................... 10
tRP ......................................... 10
tRAS ....................................... 30
##Channel A and B Advanced Timing Control##
tRC ........................................ 40
tRRD ....................................... 5
tWTR ...................................... 6
tWR ........................................12
tWTP ..................................... 24
tWL ........................... ............. 8
tRFC .................................... 208
tRTP ........................................ 6
tFAW ...................................... 24
Command Rate (CMD) ................ 2
tRW Stability Level.........……………..3
twR Stability Level………………………. 3
tREFI…………………………….………… 6240
tREFIX9………… ………………………….. 54
tRRDR…………………………………………… 1
tRRDD…………………………………………… 3
tWWDR………………………………………… 3
tWWDD………………………………………… 3
tRWDRDD……………………………………. 3
tWRDRDD…………………………………….. 1
tRWSR………………………………………….. 3
tRRSR……………………………………………. 4
tWWSR…………………………………………. 4

Please let me know if you have had any success with 32GB of memory in this motherboard, or if you have any suggestions for getting this memory to work in my setup. The memory appears to work two at a time (no immediate MemTest errors), but I have not tested it extensively in that configuration, since it is of no value to me if not working at 1600 for 32GB. Does anyone have experience with a working 32GB Kit (4X8GB) with this specific Gigabyte motherboard?
Thanks for your help.

Are the Gigabyte Z68 motherboards officially dead now?

This was a $240 motherboard when I bought it on Newegg (not cheap, to me), and is just 16months old. I upgraded from my i5-2500K to the i7-3770, believing the claimed motherboard specifications, and fully expecting that the 3770, with native 1600MHz memory controller support would enable 32GB memory support on this motherboard that claims to support 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 and claims 32GB memory support. Curious that none of the speeds listed are (O.C.) - that probably should have tipped me off.
The motherboard spec on the Gigabyte WebSite still say:
1. Supporting the new 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors;  GIGABYTE motherboards support Intel 22nm processors
2.   4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory
3.  Support for DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules

How was I to know that this motherboard was a dead end for any upgrades??  Where is the Bios Update to deliver on these specs??

I have not gotten any answers from Gigabyte TS on what 32GB memory kits were actually tested and approved in order to validate the Motherboard Specification claiming 32GB support (that would be 4X8GB today). There are no 8GB modules listed on the Approved Memory List.

My GSkill 32GB memory kit will run any two of the 8GB modules in any of the DIMM slots (dual channel or single channel) without error at 1600MHz when using the GSkill XMP1 Profile and stock voltages. MemTest gives errors as soon as I add a third module (24GB) or when trying all four (32GB).

Bottom Line - the GSkill memory kit is fine -  My Gigabyte Z68 motherboard needs a bios update for 32GB support when using my Ivy Bridge CPU. 

Is there anybody out there that can help ??