Official GIGABYTE Forum

having Issues Booting Up

having Issues Booting Up
« on: January 01, 2013, 08:38:02 am »
I Have a GA-990FXA-UD5 series Mobo

I recenetly switched it out for a better mobo cause i wanted more memory and there was nothing wrong with it when i did this. 

I am now building a new PC with this same mobo and im having some major issues.  At first the computer was turning on but nothing was showing up on the screen.  after unplugging and plugging some stuff back in it turn on for a couple seconds and turns right back off.  ive tried every kind of memory slot combination and nothing has worked except for 1 thing.  when i put 1 stick into the DDR_2 slot everything boots up, but this doesnt happen everytime.  when i was able to turn it on with 1 stick in the DDR_2 slot i thought hey lets put all the sticks back in and same thing happened it turned on for a couple of seconds then turned right back off.  so i went back to putting 1 stick back in the DDR_2 slot and now im having the same problem with just 1 stick, the computer turns on for a couple of seconds and then turns off.  ive tried pretty much everything.  ive disconected everything in the computer reassemble the whole entire system and nothing is working.  i really dont know where to go from here.  ive built many computers and ive never had  a problem like this.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: having Issues Booting Up
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 09:10:52 am »
Any chance of posting back with a list of other components being used?
CPU, RAM modules, GPU, Power Supply, HDD(s) etc., as there could be any number of reasons why you are facing this problem and it's really hard to offer any advice without such details.

MODERATOR NOTE: Please don't double post as it can lead to confusion and I have deleted your same post under the RMA heading.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:13:01 am by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 06:50:57 pm »
4x 2gig 1333mhz memory
1000gig seagate barracuda HDD
Geforce 8400 GS 1024MB DDR3 GPU
600W Thermaltake TR2 PSU
AMD Phenom IIx4 965 Black Edition 3.4GhZ

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 09:52:27 am »
well now my board seems to only be supporting the number 2&4 memory slots.  when i put stick in the 1&3 i just get 3 long beeps.  is it possible that the 1&3 slots are fried?  if so i have no idea why or how they could be.  i havent used this board in about 3 months and it was working completely fine when i took it out.

Ripshod

• Web DJ with a lust for speed
    • Ripshod FM
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 10:45:59 am »
I've had these symptoms myself, with an 890FX board. I'm not too sure about the slot layout and how they're populated for dual channel. When the board is running with the ram in slots 2&4 does it run dual channel? If not I would say 90% and IMC on your CPU is damaged.
It's less likely, but still possible something has been damaged on the mobo. For 2 slots to fail together? Possible and very unlucky. See if you can get hold of another Phenom to test with.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 10:47:22 am by Ripshod »
CALL &BD19 (If you need to ask you don't need to know)

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 05:40:28 pm »
the board does run dual channel yes.  could the cpu really be causing this problem.   I know some of the pins were bent and i had to bend them back could that be causing the problem?

Ripshod

• Ripshod FM
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 06:32:37 pm »
Channel 0 Slots DDR3_2 and DDR 3_4
Channel 1 slots DDR 3_1 and DDR 3_3

If RAM is running in slots 2&4 (I assume you mean DDR3_2 & DDR3_4) but not in either or both of the others I think the IMC may have failed, or the bent pins are still causing problems, perhaps causing damage to the socket.  Only way to confirm is with another processor, as far as I see it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 06:35:54 pm by Ripshod »

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 07:03:11 pm »
yes the only slots working are the DDR3_2&DDR3_4.. i guess ill do some more work on this im not trying to spend anymore money seeing as im building this computer for a family memeber and giving them some nice parts i already had.  maybe i can try and doa  little more work on the pins and see what happens.  hopefully the socket isnt messed up if it is thast my own fault.   if the computer is booting on just those two DDR3 slots do you think its going to be ok to just run it like that if need be?

Ripshod

• Ripshod FM
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 07:13:08 pm »
It'll run fine, just a little slower.
Consider a road. Single lane traffic is fine, but dual it up and you can get twice as much traffic through at the same time.

btw, I'm still using the 1090T with damaged IMC on my folding rig, have been for a year now, no problems.

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 08:43:18 pm »
thanks alot for the info.  my mom will just have to do with what i give her lol.  she only paid 300 for parts so she still got a good deal.