Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0) Ram Throwup & Which bios to use if VT-d

cmanns

Howdy I have

GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0)
i7-950
3x 4GB Patriot 1333ELK G Series DDR3 ram tri channel kit

I bought system used, had 12gb ram when I got it- brought it home tidied up wires, one side of case fell bout 1 inch. Stock old i7 cooler detached causing problems.

I switch from the broken cooler to Corsair watercooling setup. Then the ram started throwing up. First it was 8GB, after a few reboots it was 4GB- then I start removing them. I eventually find say the 6 slots goes

AA BB CC that

2nd A (1st slot I hear), both B empty, both C full.

That worked for 12GB. When I got the system it had them in proper tri-channel slots though so I feel the cooler damaged mobo.

When I went to run a different OS then Windows 10, I had to clear bios. After that the two sticks in C slots one dropped so I had 8GB. I try the one that dropped based on bios "MIT" was right the one not showing "avail" ram, I put it in proper B slot for original tri-channel placement. System wont post

Since I run the system with only the 2x 4GB in proper A slot and last C slot (Which slots are proper for dual channel?) it performs great, when I had the full 12GB, random Windows 10 tasks would hang up explorer.exe and what not. Now it doesnt do any of that, how likely is it that there is bent cpu pin or mainboard problem vs bad ram?

Also I am running FH1 bios for VT-d which works great- what is the latest BIOS that has VT-d

Thanks! Otherwise this being my first gigabyte product it's been pretty good even for the age :D