Official GIGABYTE Forum

"NTLDR is missing" error on Windows 7, BIOS issue

"NTLDR is missing" error on Windows 7, BIOS issue
« on: March 03, 2013, 01:36:41 am »
I had a problem with my GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 (rev. 1.3) board.  I was getting the "NTLDR is missing" message, but I'm running Win7,  Web research indicated that Win7 doesn't use NTLDR and my system is a clean install with no dual boot.  Troubleshooting eventually lead me to flashing the BIOS to version F13, which resolved the problem. 

But of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone.  I decided I'd like to have the UEFI version (Ub1) and updated to that.  Now the NTLDR error message is back.  I am definitely pointing to the correct drive in the boot sequence, although I have two HDDs in the system.  And again, there shouldn't be a reference to NTLDR in any case.

I've tried loading the optimized defaults and resetting by removing the CMOS battery.  No luck.  I can boot from a Hiren's Boot USB and the drive I used to flash the BIOS to U1b.  So perhaps the issue is with the SATA controller?  I also tried going back to F13, but neither Qflash or the utilities that I got with the BIOSes files (F13 and U1b) would recognize the version.

My original bout of troubleshooting led me to pull everything out of the system, short of the CPU and memory (various sticks), while using the built-in video.  I also tried using an image of the SSD drive captured when the system was working well and loading that onto another drive.  None of that helped, so I don't see much point in trying those tactics again.  Only flashing the BIOS made any difference and I can't seem to do that now.

I'd appreciate any help.  I did contact tech support but I haven't heard back yet (only asked today).  And it's been my experience that knowledgeable users often are more helpful.

In case it helps, but probably more than needed:

MB:  GA-Z68A-D#H-B# Rev 1.3
PSU:  Cooler Master M2 Silent Pro 720W
CPU:  i7 2600 with Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
RAM:  16 GB Corsair Vengeance (4x4 GB)
GPU:  EVGA Geforce GTX 560Ti
SSD:  OCZ Agility 3 120 GB
HDDS:  WD 1.5 GB, Seagate 1.0 GB
Optical:  LG BD burner, LG DVD Burner, Plextor CD-ROM (connected with Adaptec SCSI
Case:  Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Misc:  USB 3.0 PCI-E, SATA PCI-E, multi-format flash card reader, Aerocool fan controller,

Thanks

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: "NTLDR is missing" error on Windows 7, BIOS issue
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 06:46:57 am »
Hi there,

you can't flash back to the Award BIOS using QFlash or @BIOS and you have to follow the same procedure that you used for updating the BIOS to UEFI and use a bootable pendrive. You can download the necessary software from TweakTown here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html the utility is underneath the BIOS for the Z68 boards and is called UEFI back to Award.

Not sure why you are getting the NTLDR is missing message. Usually it is because the system is trying to BOOT from the wrong drive. When you installed the OS did you have any extra drives, including external HDD's or pendrives attached to the system?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 06:07:09 pm »
I figured the update issue was the new UEFI BIOS itself, since it shows up as AMI and not Award.  But I couldn't find a fix for that.  To be honest, I didn't try as hard as I should have, since I had just gone through two weeks of troubleshooting for the original problem.  I like fixing computers, but I'm just a bit burned out. Too many other things going on. 

I understand your confusion about the NTLDR message, since I share it.  It took me a while to realize it wasn't a Windows issue.  I only confirmed by loading an image of the boot drive from when it was working to another drive (as mentioned) and still getting the same error.  But from my Web research, that error message should not have occurred with my configuration. Even if I was pointed to the wrong drive, as NTLDR isn't supposed to be used in Win7.  If I hear anything useful back from tech support, I'll post it here.

I have a lot of things installed in my system and although it's been very stable, I suppose I should expect some odd behavior.

Thanks for the assistance.  I'm going to check out the site you provided as soon as I reply here.

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 07:32:19 pm »
I tried the utility.  When I booted with the flash drive (the same one I used to update to UEFI originally) and ran the update, I got the following message:

Flash Type:  MX1C 25L3206E
!!!  Bad BIOS Image !!!
DOS/32a Warning (9003) Real mode interrupt vector had been modified:  INT 10h

I tried different BIOS files, F13, F12 and F11, in that order.  I googled for information based on permutations of the above and didn't see anything that looked like it would help me resolve to this issue.

Any thoughts?

I've also noticed some odd behavior.  I have three monitors connected to my system, one to  the MB port and two to the EVGA card.  Under the Fxx series BIOSes, the video would always start at the monitor connected to port 1 on the EVGA (with the video priority set to "auto").  Now it bounces back and forth between that port and the MB port.  And when I press the "F12" key to choose a boot device, sometimes it recognizes the USB drive and sometimes not.  Even if I restart the machine/remove and re-insert the drive/power off completely.  If there's a trend to either issue, I can't figure it out. 

Thanks for any additional guidance anyone can provide.

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 02:26:30 am »
Not sure if the last post went through (got an error message), but Gigabyte tech support supplied a newer version of the file that worked.  I've attached it in case anyone can use it.

Thanks for the assistance.