Official GIGABYTE Forum

Legacy ROM vs. EFI Compatible ROM

Kain

Legacy ROM vs. EFI Compatible ROM
« on: March 05, 2013, 06:45:41 pm »
What is the difference? Which one should I use? I have the GA-X79-UD3.

In the motherboard manual, it states that EFI Compatible ROM is the default but with the latest F12p BIOS, Legacy ROM is the default when I load "Optimized Defaults".

zerowing

Re: Legacy ROM vs. EFI Compatible ROM
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 08:15:19 pm »
What is the difference? Which one should I use? I have the GA-X79-UD3.

In the motherboard manual, it states that EFI Compatible ROM is the default but with the latest F12p BIOS, Legacy ROM is the default when I load "Optimized Defaults".

Unless all your PCI and PCI-E cards feature a EFI compatible ROM you should always stick to Legacy ROM setting.

Kain

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 08:36:45 pm »
The only PCIe cards I have is my GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores and X-Fi Titanium HD. I assume these cards can support the EFI compatible ROM? If they do, what will I gain by changing to EFI compatible ROM?

ex58

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 10:19:31 pm »
Legacy ROM vs. EFI Compatible ROM has NOTHING with PCI and PCI-E cards !
Legacy ROM vs. EFI Compatible ROM is used if you have your HD/SSD in RAID.

zerowing

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 12:38:26 am »
Legacy ROM vs. EFI Compatible ROM has NOTHING with PCI and PCI-E cards !
Legacy ROM vs. EFI Compatible ROM is used if you have your HD/SSD in RAID.

You are wrong.
There are EFI settings for both Legacy Boot options and Legacy ROM options.

http://wiki.phoenix.com/wiki/index.php/EFI_LEGACY_BIOS_PROTOCOL

CheckPciRom()

Tests to see if a traditional PCI ROM exists for this device.

Prototype

typedef
EFI_STATUS
(EFIAPI *EFI_LEGACY_BIOS_CHECK_ROM) (
  IN  EFI_LEGACY_BIOS_PROTOCOL *This,
  IN  EFI_HANDLE               PciHandle
  OUT VOID                     **RomImage, OPTIONAL
  OUT UINTN                    *RomSize, OPTIONAL
  OUT UINTN                    *Flags
  );

Parameters
Parameter    Description
This    Indicates the EFI_LEGACY_BIOS_PROTOCOL instance.
PciHandle    The handle for this device.
RomImage    A pointer to the returned byte of the ROM image. If NULL, then no value is returned.
RomSize    A pointer to the returned size of the ROM image. If NULL, then no value is returned.
Flags    A pointer to the returned type of ROM discovered. Multiple bits can be set, as follows:

00 = No ROM
    01 = ROM Found
    02 = ROM is a valid legacy ROM

Description
This function tests to see if a traditional PCI ROM exists for this device.

Status Codes Returned
Status Code    Description
EFI_SUCCESS    A traditional Option ROM is available for this device.
EFI_UNSUPPORTED    A traditional Option ROM is not supported.
InstallPciRom()

Shadows an Option ROM.

Prototype

typedef
EFI_STATUS
(EFIAPI *EFI_LEGACY_BIOS_INSTALL_ROM) (
  IN  EFI_LEGACY_BIOS_PROTOCOL *This,
  IN  EFI_HANDLE               PciHandle,
  IN  VOID                     **RomImage,
  OUT UINTN                    *Flags
  OUT UINT8                    *DiskStart, OPTIONAL
  OUT UINT8                    *DiskEnd, OPTIONAL
  OUT VOID                     **RomShadowAddress, OPTIONAL
  OUT UINT32                   *ShadowedRomSize OPTIONAL
  );

Parameters
Parameter    Description
This    Indicates the EFI_LEGACY_BIOS_PROTOCOL instance.
PciHandle    The PCI PC-AT* Option ROM from this device’s ROM BAR will be loaded.
RomImage    A pointer to a PCI PC-AT ROM option ROM image. This argument is non-NULL if there is no hardware associated with the ROM and thus no PciHandle; otherwise it must be NULL. An example is the PXE base code.
Flags    The type of ROM discovered. Multiple bits can be set, as follows:

00 = No ROM.
    01 = ROM found.
    02 = ROM is a valid legacy ROM.

DiskStart    Disk number of the first device hooked by the ROM. If DiskStart is the same as DiskEnd, no disks were hooked.
DiskEnd    Disk number of the last device hooked by the ROM.
RomShadowAddress    A pointer to the pointer to the shadowed PC-AT ROM. If NULL, then no value is returned.
ShadowedRomSize    A pointer to the size of hte shadowed PC-AT ROM. If NULL, then no value is returned.

Description
This function loads a traditional PC-AT Option ROM on the PciHandle device and returns information about how many disks were added by the Option ROM and the shadow address and size. DiskStart and DiskEnd are INT13h drive letters. Thus 0x80 is C:.

Status Codes Returned
Status Code    Description
EFI_SUCCESS    The Option ROM was shadowed
EFI_UNSUPPORTED    The PciHandle was not found

ex58

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 03:12:36 am »
I understand he asking about AHCI/RAID ROM's.  ???

Kain

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 02:17:33 pm »
I understand he asking about AHCI/RAID ROM's.  ???

In the BIOS, the setting is named "PCI ROM Priority".

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 03:24:24 pm »
The UFEI is the new standard for the boot devices. Plus why do want to update your bios to a beta bios.

2nd that they have done that because still people don't understand the new version. So they are giving you a option to boot from it till you get use to it.

The new UFEI when setting it to install you OS from DVD once it is done it will set your boot order for you after you are done.

You will not have to go back into the bios to reset it like the old legacy to the HD 1st. I don't like it but it is the new standard and we will have to get use to it.

Plus one other thing it does is it puts your windows boot as the 1st boot too. With the legacy it doesn't do that. 
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Kain

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 07:23:23 pm »
So should I use EFI Compatible ROM? Will I have to reformat if I change the setting from Legacy ROM to EFI Compatible ROM?

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 09:20:40 pm »
You have to ask zerowing Because I'm done replying here because he is the expert on everything and don't forget to do your memtest86.

Because that will fix all your problems. I'm sorry that you are having a problem but I have had that board and been running from day with no problems.

He is the MAN here and he'll fix it with his memtest86 theory to fix everything. I'm out of here.   
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Kain

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 09:41:19 pm »
You have to ask zerowing Because I'm done replying here because he is the expert on everything and don't forget to do your memtest86.

Because that will fix all your problems. I'm sorry that you are having a problem but I have had that board and been running from day with no problems.

He is the MAN here and he'll fix it with his memtest86 theory to fix everything. I'm out of here.   

I don't have a problem with my computer or memory. I was just asking what the difference was between the two settings and which one I should use.

zerowing

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 10:10:08 pm »

I don't have a problem with my computer or memory. I was just asking what the difference was between the two settings and which one I should use.

That guy clearly has some serious issues. I am pretty sure he is just a kid. If not poor his customers with him talking about things he clearly knows nothing about.