Official GIGABYTE Forum

SOLVED: Inte HDl VGA Drivers - BugCheck BSOD: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - Win7x64

AltF4

Hello there.

I have a question on what people would recommend here on who I should contact about a faulty Intel driver (Intel. Gigabyte) and how.

It is for this motherboard here: GA-H61MA-D3V (rev. 2.0)
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4089#dl

The driver is located under:
Support & Downloads --> Windows 7 64bit --> Intel VGA Driver
Intel VGA Driver
87.16 MB
2012/09/20

The actual driver details shown in the installer are as follows:
 Microsoft Windows* 7 64
 Microsoft Windows* 8 64

Driver Revision: 15.28.4.64.2843

August 24, 2012

What happens is that during the boot process, right before winlogon will display the login screen, the PC will BSOD with a 0x....A code.

I am able to boot into Safe Mode and then I copied the memory dump from: C:\windows\memory.dmp
Opening it in WinDbg (with symbols configured) shows the following (in summary) when running !analyze -v

Type: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
Identified as: WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT
In process: csrss.exe (which makes sense because it should be right here in the boot process)
Blamed driver: igdkmd64.sys

From the debugger's help (via ".hh" command), it shows the parameters for the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BugCheck code).
Mine corresponds to:
Param1 - Address being referenced (written to): fffffa7fffffffe0
Param2 - IRQL level - Mine is a 2
Param3 - Read or Write - Mine is a Write
Param4 - Address (code) that referenced the memory: fffff80002bc442c

The debugger is even summarizing it as follows:
WRITE_ADDRESS:  fffffa7fffffffe0

CURRENT_IRQL:  2

FAULTING_IP:
nt!MiAllocateMostlyContiguous+85c
fffff800`02bc442c f00fba6b1000    lock bts dword ptr [rbx+10h],0

From the stack trace, it appears to be allocated memory, which corresponds to how it describes the IRQL bugcheck:
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high.  This is usually caused by drivers using improper addresses.

I can fix it by basically going into Safe Mode and selecting Uninstall on the Intel HD VGA display driver in devmgmt.msc, but I really would like to have a working driver that isn't a generic POS that Windows 7 applies by default.
I am tempted to say "to hell" with Intel's driver and just purchase a GPU, but it would be nice to have this fixed, or at least have them be aware of it.

If anyone has any advice on who and where to contact about this, please let me know :).
Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:11:25 am by AltF4 »

AltF4

SOLVED:

I didn't realize SP1 wasn't installed yet.
Solution found from here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1139701-BSOD-while-installing-Intel-HD-3000-drivers

Bad programming on their part for letting this happen and not checking for SP1 existence. Some users would obliterate their OSs if they didn't know how to debug (or at least fix/revert it) via Safe Mode. Shame on you Intel for not properly testing code, especially kernel-level based scenarios like this!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:13:43 am by AltF4 »

I have update Windows to 8.1 when the day when this version was released (I don't remember exactly the day/month) and I'm using the factory graphic card (updated to the last version). The strange think is that this bluescreen appears especially when I play games (but with settings that are recommended for my configuration) and pc never brick on startup. So now I follow this solution and I did solved my problem.
http://www.deskdecode.com/how-to-fix-stop-0x0000000a-irql_-not_-less_-than_-equal/