Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58-UD3r Rev 2 - Having multiple problems

Uber

GA-X58-UD3r Rev 2 - Having multiple problems
« on: June 17, 2013, 07:27:51 pm »
    I recently had the unfortunate opportunity of several of my graphics cards going bad. I had originally sent this board in for an RMA because the PCI-E slots were defective and not working. I was told it was repaired and received the board back. I recently had two GTX 550 ti graphics cards running in SLi go bad. I could understand one card going bad, but both at the same time made me suspicious. I purchased a replacement GTX 670 FTW which upon connection to the board would not get recognized by the motherboard. I RMA'd that video card and received a replacement card. This replacement GTX 670 FTW did connect to the motherboard, but it would lose connection after about 5 minutes regardless if I was in the BIOS or in Windows. This happened in both PCI-Ex16 slots. This is my most current problem. I have spoken with the tech support for this card and am having this one RMA'd as well. It will be here in 3 days.

Due to the rare circumstances of 4 different graphics cards going bad within 10 days I was wondering if something is wrong with my motherboard again?

Some other symptoms I have been having are:
    Sometimes the windows 7 themes will not launch correctly (random)
    Sometimes I get a loading icon for what seems like several minutes when I try to right click on my desktop
    motherboard cache errors (Only saw this come up twice and I think is likely due to clearing CMOS so much)
    It has always powered up for about 5 seconds, then powering off for 2 seconds, then finally booting to BIOS after another 5-10 seconds of powering up.
    Once it reaches the BIOS it can take up to 5 minutes before it finally enters windows.
    It also starts crashing with more than 8GB of ram even though I am running windows 7x64 which is supposed to allow at least 16.
    When booting to safe mode, it gets to the welcome screen and then restarts.

I was wondering if you could tell me whether or not these symptoms are being caused by something going wrong with my motherboard again.

Please note:
    Most of these problems have been occurring with BIOS FH, but I had to clear my CMOS in an attempt to troubleshoot my graphics cards so I am back at stock.
    My power supply has already been tested and replaced about 1 year ago
    My ram has passed one memtest cycle
    I would update the bios to FH, but I have no working graphics card to navigate so I can update it.

Some additional testing I performed:
    I took the time to test my old 550ti's in a different computer and they passed a 15minute test on furmark without any errors, so I may have been RMA'ing cards for nothing.
    Tested one of these back in my affected computer after it had been unplugged and with only 1 stick or ram inside and it didn't have any issues for the 20minutes I was on before rebooting.
    I then tried 3 sticks of ram (slots 1,3,5) and it appeared to be running OK, then I hopped into a game of RisingStorm and the screen flashed white and then acted like there was no card connected again.
    After this happened I have not been able to get the computer to get back into bios. I am hearing either 1long and 1 short or 1long and 2short beeps when it tries to post.

Sorry this is so long. I really just want my computer to work.

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
Re: GA-X58-UD3r Rev 2 - Having multiple problems
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 07:37:46 pm »
Hi Uber,  ;)

Welcome to forum...

Hi do not use a NVIDIA drivers 300.18
It is important do not install a last nVIDIA drivers.
Last drivers cause many problems ....

About NVIDIA drivers:
I find infos...
http://www.nvidia.fr/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-314.22-whql-driver-fr.html

Use a drivers 314.22

Have try with it?

About beep:
What do the POST beeps from my Motherboard mean and how can I hear them?
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2248.msg82260.html#msg82260

=================

GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3449#sp

How to make a Clear CMOS:
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2286.0.html

AWARD BIOS
FLASHSPI.EXE to reflash BIOS

The last bios is FH (I see you have it)
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html

To access the Bios or to the Clear CMOS, use only one graphics card and one RAM module.

it will help to know if it works better like that, with less hardware installed.

Describe your hardware with more details.
As the exact make and model of each component.
You can add web links on the official site of the manufacturer. It would help a lot.

Did you verify that each RAM module works well individually? One by one? In each slot of RAM?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:18:52 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

Uber

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 01:36:34 am »
Thanks for the reply.

The last drivers I had were the 314.22. I have been hearing about massive issues with 320.18 haha.

The beeps mean there is a RAM/Mobo or Graphics/Mobo problem. I am just having a hard time deciphering the number of them myself.

I would flash to the new bios, but I have no picture no matter how little ram or few graphics cards I use. Screen stays black and doesn't appear to connect.

I have(All stock, no overclocking):
corsair TX 750W PSU
i7-950
H100i water cooling with running push/pull config
2-8gb of Corsair XMS3  DDR3 1333Hz
Haf-X Case with stock number of fans
4 Sata HDD
1 DVD/CDR+RW
GA-X58-UD3R Rev 2 Mobo in BIOS FF
GTX 670 FTW Sig 2 (New Card)
2x GTX 550ti in SLi (Old cards)

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 02:46:43 pm »
Hi again,

When you flash bios... Disabled option ''Keep DMI DATA'' ...

EDIT:
When you flashed the BIOS did you disable the Keep DMI Data option on the QFlash mainpage ?
It is important do not choose keep DMI Data. So disabled it.

Before flash a bios, make a clear cmos
How to make a Clear CMOS:
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2286.0.html

How to update a Bios....
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.0.html

And if you are able to go BIOS, After Flash Bios...
Make a Load Optimized Defaults
Reboot after

Uber

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 02:57:00 pm »
I would try to flash a new BIOS and I have cleared my BIOS many times, however I cannot see anything to navigate the BIOS prompts required for flash.

I will give it another shot tonight though.

Uber

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 10:18:23 pm »
I am beginning to think it is a power supply issue. The lowest power card I have is a very olt ATI card, not sure of the model, that does not require additional power. The computer boots up with this old card although the picture is very jagged and very unreadable text. The post screen information looks kind of like playing a game of centipede if you get what I mean. This may be because the card is more than 9 years old and has been sitting around in dust and was in a old computer that got lugged around just in case.

Not sure if the bad picture is due to damage, no drivers supporting it or the PCI-E slot. The fact that it does work and will boot leads me to think that it may in fact be my power supply.

Was wondering what everyone else thinks based on this new find?

Uber

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 02:57:30 pm »
Resolved. Was a faulty power supply.