Official GIGABYTE Forum

[GA-H77-D3H] Can't get hot-swap (AHCI) to work on Win7 x64

Luster

[GA-H77-D3H] Can't get hot-swap (AHCI) to work on Win7 x64
« on: June 24, 2013, 09:22:34 pm »
(First post)
Hi all,

I'm running into some trouble trying to get hot-swap working on my new Win7 x64 PC.
I switched from IDE to AHCI after installing the OS, following the usual regedit routine.

I installed intel's Rapid Storage Technology. Still, it doesn't work.
The problem is definately not hardware-related: When I plug the SATA drive when the PC is turned off and turn in back on it is identified and accessible.
When I plug it in when the PC is on, I can hear it spin up but nothing else happens - it's not even shown in the device manager.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: FWIW, I have this cool case that has this external HDD mounting slot at the top. That's how I'm connecting that SATA drive. Again: when I boot the system with the HDD already connected it works just fine.

If you have any suggestions or if I'm missing some vital piece of info here - please let me know.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:39:33 pm by Luster »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: [GA-H77-D3H] Can't get hot-swap (AHCI) to work on Win7 x64
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 06:50:54 am »
Hi there,

download and install Hot Swap from here: http://mt-naka.com/hotswap/index_enu.htm

It works and is what I have found to be the best solution for this issue.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 07:19:30 am by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Luster

Re: [GA-H77-D3H] Can't get hot-swap (AHCI) to work on Win7 x64 [SOLVED]
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 08:50:06 am »
Hi there,

download and install Hot Swap from here: http://mt-naka.com/hotswap/index_enu.htm

It works and is what I have found to be the best solution for this issue.
This is embarrassing. On this software's home page you suggested there's a list of supported chipsets. So I opened the GA-H77-D3H user manual to see what the SATA chipset is and ... found that I need to enable the SATA port hot plug capability in the bios (disabled by default).

For future reference: it's under System -> ATA Port Information.
Thanks for your help, absic.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 11:32:53 am by Luster »