Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z97n Gaming 5 mini itx - PC fails on 1st boot

Z97n Gaming 5 mini itx - PC fails on 1st boot
« on: March 05, 2016, 04:49:39 pm »
Hi all,

I built my pc about 2 months ago now. The last two weeks or so whenever I boot up my pc, it gets to the MOBO logo screen but shuts down before getting to the OS screen. Luckily it always boots properly the second time.
Just wondering should I be worried about this? Not sure what could be causing it. My mobo is a Gigabyte Z97n Gaming 5 mini-itx, my GPU is a Sapphire R9 390 and my PSU is an Evga Supernova GS 650 W.

Should I reset my bios? How do I go about doing this? I load optimized defaults but hasn't changed anything.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 04:50:10 pm by lordymosh »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Z97n Gaming 5 mini itx - PC fails on 1st boot
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 05:04:05 pm »
Hi there,

What CPU are you running?

What BIOS version are you using?

What other hardware have you got connected? (HDD's/SSD's, USB devices Mouse, keyboard, etc)

The best way to clear CMOS and re-set everything in BIOS is to disconnect the power supply then remove the motherboard battery for a few minutes. Press the power button on the PC case a few times then put the battery back into the motherboard. Reconnect the power, start-up and go into BIOS. You should need to reset Date & Time if CMOS has cleared properly do this, save and exit. Go back into BIOS and load optimized defaults, save and exit again.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 05:16:37 pm »
Hi there,

What CPU are you running?

What BIOS version are you using?

What other hardware have you got connected? (HDD's/SSD's, USB devices Mouse, keyboard, etc)

The best way to clear CMOS and re-set everything in BIOS is to disconnect the power supply then remove the motherboard battery for a few minutes. Press the power button on the PC case a few times then put the battery back into the motherboard. Reconnect the power, start-up and go into BIOS. You should need to reset Date & Time if CMOS has cleared properly do this, save and exit. Go back into BIOS and load optimized defaults, save and exit again.

I have a I5-4690K (haven't overclocked it). A seagate HDD, Samsung Evo SSD, Razer Blackwidow and a Logitech mouse.

My bios version is BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F3, 03/06/2014

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 07:49:44 am »
The latest BIOS for your motherboard is F5 and I would update to that version using QFlash to see if that helps.
You can download the BIOS from here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4999#bios

If you are not sure how to use QFlash then check the FAQ here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=2441.msg13885#msg13885
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.