Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA770T-UD3P Issue, About To Pull My Hair Out! HELP

GA-MA770T-UD3P Issue, About To Pull My Hair Out! HELP
« on: February 10, 2010, 06:17:35 pm »
I am an advanced user, but this one stumps me. My initial thought is that the motherboard is bad…

Here are my main components…
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P Motherboard
8GB A-Data DDR3 1600Mhz
3x 160GB Western Digital Blue in Raid-0
PNY nVidia GTS 250 512MB
Windows 7 x64

I build this system in early December, and since then I had to reinstall the OS 3 times.

This system is my HTPC, so it’s on 24/7 (well when it’s working.) Sometimes in the morning, it is frozen. No video, just fans running on what seems to be full blast. Power button will not turn off the PC (even if button is held for 30+sec); I have to unplug it from the power. When I plug it back in, it will not boot, or even power on. No lights flash, no fans spin. To get it to power on I have to reset the CMOS and usually everything comes up like normal, however not this morning.

For the 3rd time (hence three reinstalls) PC POSTS ok, and when it tries to load Windows, all I get is a Blue or Red horizontal line near the top of the screen. PC is then unresponsive, CNTRL ALT DEL doesn’t work, even the keyboard LEDs are stuck, can’t turn them off or on.

Only option then is to turn the PC off. I do so, via the power button, and it turns off. Sometimes it won’t power on again until I reset the CMOS again, other times it powers up and displays the red or blue horizontal line at the top of the screen. This line comes BEFORE the Windows 7 Splash screen is displayed. I can boot with the Windows 7 DVD and reinstall Windows again, but I really don’t want to keep doing this process.

Call me crazy, but this has to be a Motherboard issue correct? I have changed the RAM, Video Card, and Power Supply, and same result. I tested all the original components in another system, and they work fine.

Any ideas before I begin the dreaded RMA process with Gigabyte?

Thanks,
Chris

nicolatesla

• what, the rabbit?
Re: GA-MA770T-UD3P Issue, About To Pull My Hair Out! HELP
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 02:24:45 pm »
I am an advanced user, but this one stumps me. My initial thought is that the motherboard is bad…

Here are my main components…
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P Motherboard
8GB A-Data DDR3 1600Mhz
3x 160GB Western Digital Blue in Raid-0
PNY nVidia GTS 250 512MB
Windows 7 x64

I build this system in early December, and since then I had to reinstall the OS 3 times.

This system is my HTPC, so it’s on 24/7 (well when it’s working.) Sometimes in the morning, it is frozen. No video, just fans running on what seems to be full blast. Power button will not turn off the PC (even if button is held for 30+sec); I have to unplug it from the power. When I plug it back in, it will not boot, or even power on. No lights flash, no fans spin. To get it to power on I have to reset the CMOS and usually everything comes up like normal, however not this morning.

For the 3rd time (hence three reinstalls) PC POSTS ok, and when it tries to load Windows, all I get is a Blue or Red horizontal line near the top of the screen. PC is then unresponsive, CNTRL ALT DEL doesn’t work, even the keyboard LEDs are stuck, can’t turn them off or on.

Only option then is to turn the PC off. I do so, via the power button, and it turns off. Sometimes it won’t power on again until I reset the CMOS again, other times it powers up and displays the red or blue horizontal line at the top of the screen. This line comes BEFORE the Windows 7 Splash screen is displayed. I can boot with the Windows 7 DVD and reinstall Windows again, but I really don’t want to keep doing this process.

Call me crazy, but this has to be a Motherboard issue correct? I have changed the RAM, Video Card, and Power Supply, and same result. I tested all the original components in another system, and they work fine.

Any ideas before I begin the dreaded RMA process with Gigabyte?

Thanks,
Chris

a BAD MOTHERBOARD OR a bios version that will not run windows 7.
Ask Gigabyte to install the new bios BEFORE sending you a new motherboard. (will they do that?)
Giga GA-MA790FXT-UD5P, Phenom II 945 X4, Gskill 4GB, Coolermaster, Sapphire HD4870, Velociraptor HDD, 7 fans, Antec 550+, Acer 24" LCD. "I tried Asus, then I bought a real motherboard."

zaragon1

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 04:51:38 pm »
that a lot of kit !

the basic trouble shooting should start with a base system :-

1 hard disk
1 row of RAM
Basic windows system , no network , bluetooth or printer

Have you got a copy of windows xp to try ?

have a go !!

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 04:08:24 pm »
Just want to give everyone an update...

I got rid of the RAID array... using regular ACHI Mode for the HDs now. I reinstalled the OS, and everything is working great. If it dies again I will keep update this thread, however I believe that the Raid Controller was to blame, either that or one of the HDs wasn't up to par (even though they all passes all stress tests)

Thanks for the replies guys!