Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z87-OC main BIOS corruption after upgrade

GA-Z87-OC main BIOS corruption after upgrade
« on: August 22, 2013, 02:48:05 pm »
...so I've seen quite a few threads on here with this issue - seems people updating the BIOS end up with corruption - in my case it's like this:-

I tried to update to F6 from F3, but it failed on the main BIOS after the update, and can only boot from the secondary BIOS (F3) now. I actually need the newest X02 BIOS as I'm running phase change cooling and have a bit of an issue with the cold boot bug, but don't want to update the secondary F3 BIOS the board shipped with in case I brick that too.

Is there some way of updating the primary BIOS only, even if I have to boot into the secondary to get to Q-Flash? I can't get to Q-Flash from the primary. All help much appreciated.

ex58

Re: GA-Z87-OC main BIOS corruption after upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 03:26:25 pm »
I flashed at least 40 times BIOS on my OC board.No single issue,at all.

Before power ON.....
set switch to boot from  Backup BIOS (F3).....boot and restart......before splash screen pressing ALT+F10 ....
this will flash your corupted BIOS with F3.
So you will have F3 BIOS on both chips.
Select back switch to Main BIOS and flash with Q-Flash to X02.

Edit:
I have this setting:
-Main BIOS......X02
-Backup BIOS....F6

X02 is set as single BIOS by switch (no Backup BIOS are involved).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 03:32:14 pm by ex58 »

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 03:18:50 pm »
OK - thanks for the help. So I've reflashed it back to F3 - no problems, however EVERY time I try and update to any further BIOS revision (F6, X02) etc, the board completely falls over - this is either flashing it via Q-Flash or in Windows. I'm looking to potentially buy a LOT of these boards, but if it's going to do this every time I'll go Asus - this is ridiculous. Should I be going to F4 or something before trying to go straight to F6 or X02?

ex58

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 03:50:18 pm »
Where you store BIOS,which to be flashed?
Try to load Optimized defaults,reboot and try to flash.
Any additional USB device (except mouse,keyboard and USB FAT32 stick)...which can disrupt BIOS flashing?
As I said,no problem here at all.

Edit:
Once BIOS is flashed,will do 2 times On/Off and third time boot.
Will be helpfull to post your full spec.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 03:52:34 pm by ex58 »

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 05:08:26 pm »
Updating BIOS from both USB stick in Q-Flash, and also from within Windows from the HDD. Have loaded optimised defaults every time before updating. No other USB devices plugged in - just keyboard, mouse and USB FAT16 - surely FAT32 won't make a difference, right? Will try 3 times off/on to see what happens.

Full spec is 4770k, with single stage phase change... -40C temperature. 2 x 4GB sticks of Team Group 2800Mhz 12-14-14-32 1T RAM. 1GB mechanical HDD. Some old ATI video card. None of this should make the BIOS update fail, right?

Thanks again for your help.