Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-990FXA-UD3 USB 3.0 detect external hard drive as unknown device after reboot

As written on the subject, when I rebooted the PC after installing software, the Seagate GoFlex Desk 3TB external hard drive which is connected to rear USB 3.0 didn't work. The power light on the drive don't even budge, and it is detected as 'unknown device' when I entered windows desktop. I need to unplug the USB 3.0 cable and plug it back on to the rear USB 3.0 to get it detected again. This is a brand new GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard on a new rig, bought 2 days ago.

The Seagate GoFlex Desk doesn't experience any problem with my old 890FX motherboard or my laptop. While all other devices connected to rear USB 2.0 (keyboard, mouse, wireless adapter, usb headphone, usb hub) seemed to work just fine. Anyone using the same board (990FXA-UD3) experiencing this? Any solutions? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 06:11:29 am by robertyue »

I tried to run the drive on rear USB 2.0 port today, works just fine.

AgentFXA

• none
You have the Etron driver installed?
My external Seagate  is seen just fine.
X570 Aorus Elite Wifi / Ryzen 2700x / Gigabyte Radeon RX 7900 XT Gaming OC 20G Graphics Card / 16 GB HyperX Predator 3200 / SeaSonic 850W / Tt View 71 TG / Win10x64

Yes. Etron driver it is. And as I saw in gigabyte site, there's no new update to the driver yet. And I found out my frond USB 3.0 is not detecting any device at all... :dooh:

I tried to run device manager, and found this four Etron USB 3.0:
1. Etron USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controler on properties it shows PCI bus 6, device 0, function 0
2. Etron USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controler on properties it shows PCI bus 2, device 0, function 0
3. Etron USB 3.0 Extensible Root Hub on Etron USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller
4. Another Etron USB 3.0 Extensible Root Hub on Etron USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller

I did tried to uninstall the Etron driver and reinstalled it again after uninstalled the auto on/off software which cause problem when installing drivers for the first time.
BTW, my board is Rev 1.0

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:38:01 am by robertyue »

MisterEd

I have a GA-990FXA-UD3 v1.0 that I bought over 2 years ago.
Are sure your board is v1.0? That version hasn't made in a long time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Check this option in the BIOS. It should be enabled by default to detect USB drives during boot.
USB Storage Function
Determines whether to detect USB storage devices, including USB flash drives and USB hard drives during the POST. (Default: Enabled)
I assume you have double checked that the front USB 3.0 ports on your PC case are connected all right to the large internal header F_USB30.
This header has 20 pins and supports two USB 3.0 ports.
The Device Manager shows this:
Universal Serial Bus Controllers
Etron USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller
Etron USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller
Etron USB 3.0 Extensible Root Hub
Etron USB 3.0 Extensible Root Hub
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
USB Composite Device
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
I don't have any USB 3.0 devices but I tried an external hard drive with USB 2.0 interface.

When I plugged it into the rear USB 3.0 port it showed up as "USB Mass Storage Device".

To remove the drive I selected "Eject USB to ATA/ATAPI bridge"

When finished I get the following Device Status for "USB Mass Storage Device":
"Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)

To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug it in again."

To reconnect the drive I either have to disconnect the drive and reconnect it or power down the drive and power it back up.

The ejected "USB Mass Storage Device" will remain in the Device Manager until I either disconnect it or power down the drive.

I did another test starting with being logged in:
1. I selected remove/eject the drive
2. I powered down the drive
3. I powered down the PC
4. I powered up the drive
5. I powered up the PC
6. After I logged in I noticed the drive was automatically connected
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 v1.0 | AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H60 | GSkill RipjawsX (2x4GB) | ASUS GeForce GTX 560 | Windows 7 Ult 64-bit
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X4 960T | Corsair XMS2 (4x2GB) | PNY GeForce GTS 250 | Windows 7 Home Prem  64-bit

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
Nothing more you can do here.The Etron BIOS module might be outdated or bugged.Seen it behaving erratically on my 970A-UD3 that i ve sold.
Many issues with that Etron stuff with Gigabyte AMD 9xx mobo series.At least the first HW revisions 1.0.
Etron support extremely scarce it seems.

I would report the issues to Gigabyte ,even though HW revision 1.0 BIOS updates are far from coming on AMD 9xx series.They have switched on the UEFI BIOS on newer versions so i wouldnt bet on new updates for Hybrid boards.
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

I'm from a third world country... So 990FXA-UD3 Rev 1.0 is the newest and the only available (well, there's that prodigy MSI 990FXA) at the time i bought it :-[
And after i bought it i read in gigabyte site there's Rev 3.0 x_x

For the time being I plug the Seagate into USB 2.0. Reduce all the problem with the loss of speed. It's used for backup purpose only.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 04:32:12 am by robertyue »