Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z87M-D3H not starting up

GA-Z87M-D3H not starting up
« on: September 11, 2013, 05:46:53 pm »
Hello,

i have an issue with my GA-Z87M-D3H, maybe someone can help me.
I got my new pc with this mobo today, installed windows, everything worked great.
The latest thing I changed, was enabling secure boot in bios.
After that, pc didn't started up again.
Fans are runnung, LEDs are on, but no output on monitor.
After that, I made:
*) a CMOS reset
*) took out pci-e graphic card and tried onboard graphic
*) took out memory one after another

Is the main bios faulty?
Since there is no graphic output, I can't choose to use backup bios.
Is there maybe a way to force using backup bios?

Would be great if someone has an idea, before I send my new pc back :(

Re: GA-Z87M-D3H not starting up
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 05:49:18 pm »
With my motherboard have same problem on any default bios i used F3, F4, F5, F6, but only overclockers bios helped me to avoid this issue, i use X02 now, not sure if you have such bios for your motherboard, if not - try to update on latest for your motherboard, but this is 100% bios issue with your particular hardware.

But please if you will be able to start and flash bios, be very very preciese while doing this. Coz i've killed one motherboard when it was unstable and bios was unflashable later.

P.S. In your case it could be also bad / faulty PSU probably, so if you got friend with good PSU, you can try to boot with his firstly.
And also, to exclude videocard, use just board + 1 RAM dimm + psu and connect monitor with processor's graphical card output.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:52:34 pm by failure13 »
PC (Win 7 SP1 x64)
i7-4770K
GA-Z87X-OC
8Gb G.SKILL F3-17000CL8D-4GBXMD, 2133mHz, CL8, 8 9 8 24 2T
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX580 GV-N580UD-15I 1536Mb
Corsair HX1000W PSU

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 09:20:30 pm »
Thanks for your help.
Unfortunately, I can't flash anything, since the motherboard is doing nothing but turning on fans and LEDs.
And I couldn't find a manual possibility to use backup-bios on my kind of motherboard.
But I will try to get a good PSU.

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 09:24:22 pm »
No prob man, hope you'll find solution!

But wait, in your case all fans working all the time?
Then it's not exactly my issue...hmm
Not sure than, but in any way trying borrow new PSU from friend to test - is a very good idea.
Which kind of CPU, memory, videocard you have?
PC (Win 7 SP1 x64)
i7-4770K
GA-Z87X-OC
Corsair HX1000W PSU

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 09:37:11 pm »
I have i5-4670, 2x8GB Kingston memory and an Nvidia GTX 660 videocard.
Onboard videocard is also not working.
Everything worked great, but only for about 3 hours...

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 08:54:34 am »
Which timings and voltage RAM have?
Have you left them as is on auto or entered manually in BIOS?

Try to use 1 RAM, turn off PC completely, remove bios battery from motherboard, wait for 5 minutes, put it back on mb, turn on PC, try to boot.
If it will boot, hopefully you can enter bios and load "optimised defaults".
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 08:57:24 am by failure13 »
PC (Win 7 SP1 x64)
i7-4770K
GA-Z87X-OC
Corsair HX1000W PSU

paaron

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 05:06:02 am »
Hi Stephan,

Enabling secure boot AFTER an OS is installed is not a good idea.  Secure Boot is supposed to provide a chain of trust from the BIOS to the OS hand-off, but the OS needs to be aware of this chain of trust when it is initially installed. Otherwise it assumes that your system does not support secure boot, and it installs the OS without support for Secure Boot.

Additionally, your off board video card will cause problems for you.  Unless you updated the firmware on the video card to have a Windows 8 signed Option Rom, enabling secure boot will cause your video card option rom to not be trusted, and therefore not executed.  If this is the case, you could stop seeing video displayed from your off board video card, in which case, the system MIGHT switch back to using the onboard video device.  This switching depends on how the BIOS settings are configured by Gigabyte.  If you are not seeing video output on your offboard card, you should try connecting your monitor to the mother boards video connectors and attempting to boot the system.

Also, as part of Secure Boot, the bios has something called "Fast Boot", which is supposed to decrease the amount of time required for the BIOS to execute. If you enabled Secure Boot, then you will have to hammer the Del key to get into setup.

The easiest way to return your system to a working state will be to clear CMOS. There will be instructions in your motherboard Manuel on how to do this. Once you do, go back into the BIOS setup utility and make sure that Secure Boot is not enabled.

If you are still having problems after clearing CMOS, try this: disconnect all bootable devices. Disconnect all devices connected to your SATA ports, all your USB mass storage devices, etc. Then power on the system and hammer on the DEL key. It may take a couple of attempts, but eventually, you should be able to make it back into setup.

Good luck to you. I hope you get your system back into a working state.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 06:13:55 pm »
Hi,

and thanks guys for your advice.
Unfortunately, I couldn't get it back to work, so I returned it.
I tried it with clearing CMOS multiple times and tried the onboard video device (with and without bootable devices).
The CMOS reset seemed to be successful, because after that, the board started to boot, went off a second, and started up again automatically.
(Same "behavior" after every CMOS reset)
But still no output on onboard or offboard video.
I also hit DEL everytime when starting.
At least, I will pay more attention, when I get it back  :(