Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5 - 4930K will not post.

slytat

Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5 - 4930K will not post.
« on: September 14, 2013, 06:11:30 am »
I've just purchased a 4930K and it will not post at all, power comes on for 2 secs, then the rig turns off and does the same thing again (rinse and repeat).

I have tried a 3930K and a 3960X in the board and they both work perfectly so I know it is down to the processor.

Is it possible I have a dud, or is there just no BIOS update for IB-E yet.

I am using F4x, which is the latest near as I can tell, but I can't find any release notes and F4w apparently only fixed problems with the Titan (thankfully).

Any insight appreciated :)

slytat

Re: Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5 - 4930K will not post.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 03:11:12 pm »
It was the BIOS, just for everyone else's information, F4y is necessary for IB-E CPUs :)

ex58

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 06:10:09 pm »
Yes,just new BIOS appear....

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 06:57:58 pm »
Greetings from Australia

I am also in the same boat with this board with an i7-3820 and I want to upgrade to a hexacore 4930K. What is this "F4y" bios that you are referring to? Is it for an S1150 board perhaps?

As far as I see the only two Gigabyte S2011 boards that have had bios updates for IB-E are the UP4 with a bios f4 released on day one on 5-Sep-2013 and the UD3 with bios F16 also on 5-Sep-2013, all other S2011 boards like this one and the UD5,UD7 and assassin have not had bios releases done yet. So some boards have bios updates and others haven't, as to why this is so I can only guess that Gigabyte are prioritising bios updates based on the number of each boards that have been sold, I can't imagine any other reason as the boards are all very similar (well perhaps except this one as it has the C606 chipset).

I contacted official Gigabyte support about the UP5 specifically and this was the reply I got on 12-Sep-2013

************************************************************************************************************************
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. Due to the CPU is just release in the market, we are not able to guarantee anything on the support issue. Our engineer is still proceed the examination procedure. Meanwhile, we will try our best to make it work if the hardware can support the specification. When information is ready, you can refer to our online CPU support list for more information.

Regards,
GIGABYTE
************************************************************************************************************************

It appears that

(a) It may be a while before we get an official bios, or

(b) We may never get one if they can't get the CPU to work properly with the board.

In the meantime I posted a question on the tweaktown forum where there appears to be a hacked bios, but regardless whether you use this bios or an official one you will have to flash the board using a SB-E cpu BEFORE you can put in an IB-E one, so if you don't have access to a SB-E cpu you have a problem.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/24883-welcome-gigabyte-technical-support-162.html#post465767

I'm not greatly keen on using a hacked bios but given the listing of modifications done to it then it appears that whoever did it seems to know what they are doing so I will give it a go and see what happens.

If anyone else could shed some more light on this situation, or about the"f4y" bios you have mentioned then I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 07:36:17 pm »
@HobartTas
I would wait on the bios update. You might run into more than what you are looking for. It could crash and burn.

I don't really see any difference between a 3930k and a 4930k. Other than one is a sandy bridge and the other one being a ivory bridge.

If you put both of them next to each other the only thing is that the 4930k microprocessor comes with higher operating frequency than the 3930K.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/586/Intel_Core_i7_i7-3930K_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-4930K.html

One other thing is I went from a 3820k to the 3930k and I didn't see really any big performance other than the cost.

If I do any thing in a upgrade I'm going to wait on AMD for their PCI-e 3.0 board and put in a FX-9370  4.4GHz or FX-9590 4.7GHz
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

slytat

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 03:01:46 am »
Greetings from Australia

<<snip>>

I can only speak from my own experience obviously, but so far, I have had no issues with F4y (4930K and 4960X tested).

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html

Scroll down to GA-X79 and it is the first one. (The BIOS flasher is incompatible with it so you have to use @BIOS (I used 2.32  B13.0829.1).

I'm assuming you can do it through a boot stick etc but I did not try that method.

I have not used FWx mod2 so I cannot speak to it's reliability.

Unfortunately, if you want to use IB-E you will need an SB-E CPU in order to flash (and if you are using a dual BIOS board like the UP5, be sure to flash both of them :D )

Performance wise, not really any different from 3930K/3960X tbh - proper PCI 3.0 support (Nvidia's next driver) is a plus though as opposed to having to use that hack.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:43:36 am by slytat »

ex58

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 08:38:37 am »
HobartTas ,

what you mean "hacked bios"...?... ::)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 08:41:35 am by ex58 »

slytat

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 03:08:10 pm »
HobartTas ,

He's talking about F4x Mod2, not FY4 (which is official afaik).

N.B. In my previous post, it should have been F4x, not FWx (It was late ;) )
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 03:50:34 pm by slytat »

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 09:01:22 pm »
Greetings

HobartTas ,

That's what I have seen them referred to as, the actual terminology on the Tweaktown link I provided was "modified" I just called them "hacked", by the way what exactly is the status of these Bios's given that Gigabyte do have actual beta bios's on their website?

Are they

(a) official Gigabyte beta bios's that are just not yet up on the downloads section of their website? in which case they probably should be referred to as alpha bios's rather than beta's, or

(b) modified/hacked bios's done by other 3rd parties?

I can only speak from my own experience obviously, but so far, I have had no issues with F4y (4930K and 4960X tested).

Well if it does actually work then that's good enough for me, I'll get the 4930K and use the Beta bios and later replace that with an official one when it comes out.

Unfortunately, if you want to use IB-E you will need an SB-E CPU in order to flash (and if you are using a dual BIOS board like the UP5, be sure to flash both of them :D )

Not a problem as I am actually purchasing a second UP5 board, I will flash it by pulling out my existing 3820 and then replace it later with the 4930K, I forgot about the dual bios but yes it is probably a good idea to do both because if the system can't boot of the primary it will revert to the secondary bios and if that isn't the beta as well then it won't handle the IB-E cpu.

Performance wise, not really any different from 3930K/3960X tbh - proper PCI 3.0 support (Nvidia's next driver) is a plus though as opposed to having to use that hack.

I wouldn't expect it to be that much of a difference moving from a SB-E hexacore to an IB-E one. But I am moving from a quadcore to a hexacore cpu.

One other thing is I went from a 3820k to the 3930k and I didn't see really any big performance other than the cost.

Kindly permit me to demonstrate a very significant difference with something like BF3 where it lifts the minimum frame rate significantly, have a read of this article, basically you have to set hyper-threading to OFF and just use the native six cores.

http://chipreviews.com/main-feature/main-news/frostbite-2s-limit-6-core-performance-in-battlefield-3/5/ Looking at the first picture where you can see that overclocking a quadcore doesn't do much for the minimum frame rate whereas on the hexacore there is a noticeable improvement. On the second picture you can see that with hyper-threading off you get a large increase in the minimum frame rate and overclocking increases it further still to 102 FPS, turning hyper-threading off also to the quad core increases the average and max FPS but the minimum dips even more which is the reverse of what you actually want as you don't want the game jerky in places, this is principally why I have purchased the hexacore cpu. The third picture pretty well much demonstrates this, as to why this situation exists I presume it has something to do with the on chip 12MB cache where it's just right for 6 cpu's but not so good for 12.

I would wait on the bios update. You might run into more than what you are looking for. It could crash and burn.

Possibly, but if slytat got it going more or less OK then its good enough for me so I'll try it as well.

I don't really see any difference between a 3930k and a 4930k. Other than one is a sandy bridge and the other one being a ivory bridge.

I agree, there's no real point upgrading a SB-E hexacore for a IB-E hexacore. I'm getting the 4930K over the 3930K because it uses about 20-30 less watts under load and it will be much easier to cool with a high end air cooler, especially if I overclock it a bit.

If I do any thing in a upgrade I'm going to wait on AMD for their PCI-e 3.0 board and put in a FX-9370  4.4GHz or FX-9590 4.7GHz

Unfortunately, I just need the speed and grunt for GAMES ONLY and specifically the Battlefield series (BF3 now and BF4 later) and as for anything else it will be fast enough, the AMD cpu may be faster in other applications but that is of no interest to me. From what little benchmarks I have seen AMD's cpu's generally underperform Intel's and sometimes by a large margin as far as games are concerned.

P.S. I read somewhere that apparently you also have to update the Intel drivers before doing the upgrade.

P.P.S. In case anyone is interested the main reason I got this board was because other than being a good quality board I intended for it to become a ZFS nas server when it got too old for its current duties in say 5 years time or so. However, needing a backup server now I purchased ten Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB drives and had to figure out how to deploy them, since I have the UP5 board sitting in a large Antec DF-85 case I decided to place the Toshibas in there as well.

After pondering the issue for a period of time I decided to setup this way;

(a) current config, SSD boot drive with Win7-64 +  steam and other stuff 2TB drive + optical drive

(b) Solaris 11 on an old small notebook drive, 10 Toshibas in a ZFS Raid-Z2 setup (two of the drives sit in an optical slot using metal bracket adaptors and together with ambient airflow stay reasonably cool although they are slightly warmer than the others).

Everything all sits in there nicely using all 14 ports and every couple of months I just unplug the power connectors to the 3 drives used by windows and then hook up the eleven drives used by Solaris. I back everything up over the course of a day or two and flip everything back to the original config, takes about 15 minutes to do it either way, since I am using an Antec cp-850 power supply I just needed  a couple of molex to sata power adapters together with one or two Sata power double adapters. With the 3820 powering the Nas I can upload to it at full Gb speeds (100-110 MB's) even using compression but for some bizarre reason I can only download from it at about 55 MB's so it's probably got to be a Solaris quirk. Also the 32GB of ram I have will allow me to experiment later on with virtualisation under Solaris once I start playing around with it. Its efficient re-use of existing hardware as I get to kill two birds with the one stone.

Anyway, many thanks to everyone here who provided assistance.

Cheers

slytat

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 09:34:45 pm »

P.S. I read somewhere that apparently you also have to update the Intel drivers before doing the upgrade.

Cheers

Possibly true as that fecking IME module won't install properly now - and Intel's convoluted driver numbering scheme for the IME just gets me annoyed.

It really irks me that there isn't an option to turn that crap off in the BIOS as I don't need it and only ever end up disabling it.

Why Intel forces a remote management module to be present is beyond me :(
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:36:49 pm by slytat »

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 06:22:58 am »
I just bought a Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5 -  with a 4930K on Newegg. 
After I realized the potential mistake and also ordered the Older version...

I assume there is no way currently to tell externally if it has the most recent compatible bios? I think it's safe to assume it doesn't...  But if I have to open both boxes to update it, I will lose alot of money not being able to return the other processor...

So, if anyone becomes aware of an external marking that reassures compatibility, please post. Otherwise I'll report back with my out of box f4 revision. 

delphium

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 09:18:29 am »
I just bought a Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5 -  with a 4930K on Newegg. 
After I realized the potential mistake and also ordered the Older version...

I assume there is no way currently to tell externally if it has the most recent compatible bios? I think it's safe to assume it doesn't...  But if I have to open both boxes to update it, I will lose alot of money not being able to return the other processor...

So, if anyone becomes aware of an external marking that reassures compatibility, please post. Otherwise I'll report back with my out of box f4 revision. 

Can you not ask your retailer to flash the board for you?

When I received mine, it too was with a BIOS prior to supporting the i7-4820k, I spoke to Scan.co.uk, they arranged a collection of the board, flashed it and returned to me super quick, all free of charge.

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 07:38:22 pm »
GREAT SUGGESTION!!!!

However, NewEgg.com just gave me the phone number of Gigabyte technologies when I asked them for this (Slaps side of head). DOH!

delphium

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 03:29:52 pm »
GREAT SUGGESTION!!!!

However, NewEgg.com just gave me the phone number of Gigabyte technologies when I asked them for this (Slaps side of head). DOH!

Well that sucks :(
Seems either way your having to outlay even more cash to get it fixed, never a good experience.

I guess  gigabyte RMA sounds like the safest option in this case.

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 05:49:31 pm »
I wasn't patient enough. NewEgg sent me a 1.0 with an old Bios! GRRRRRRRR.
First off, I put in the older chip (3.2 hex) and it would freeze on boot screen. Turned out (after pulling EVERYTHING one at a time) to be that the lame BIOS was freezing with my new video card. So, I pulled the old card out of my old system, problem solved. THEN, Qflash would not work with the new update, claiming it was too old of a version. Thanks Murphy. Especially that this will have OS86x on it, that is a PROBLEM. So I pulled out my old PC lapop, flashed a usb with dos and did the update that way.

I can't afford to not get my 600 dollar refund on the ivy bridge 3.4 - But that is a trivial performance increase as far as I can tell, so whatever, I'll upgrade to 8 core when I have more money instead.

Very frustrating experience. NewEgg should have better service with selling compatible products, and Gigabyte should have a more obvious path to updating their products if they are not up to date for current technology. But I don't know the solution so onward ho!