Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD7 ITE Chip Problem

GA-X58A-UD7 ITE Chip Problem
« on: February 13, 2010, 01:47:31 pm »
win 7 64 bit, lastest BIOS F4 version, disabled lan wakeup, keyboard wakeup and mouse wakeup.

When I click shutdown in windows, the computer can shutdown properly but just after about 5 seconds, it automatically restarts. I have to cut off the power supply to shut down the machine properly.

then I only connected one empty hard disk under IDE mode and no bootable system. so when i start the computer, it shows no bootable system. then i press power down, the computer shuts down and it will automatically restart 5 seconds later.

I asked this question in GigaByte Taiwan website and they reply to me saying it is because ITE chipset is faulty and ask me to return for a replacement.

Is this the only way to deal with this issue? Just too lazy to unplug eveything from the motherboard....
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:44:51 pm by runn3R »

kangoo

Re: GA-X58A-UD7 ITE Chip Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 06:57:43 am »
i haven't met with such problem before to be honest.
if they say to return then do it, i think they know better then all of us  ;)

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 09:24:45 pm »
OK, I have spent some time in testing this.

It seems this problem only happens if win7 64 is installed and RAID 0 is selected. No matter which controller you select (intel, marvell or gigabyte), the machine fails to shut down properly. You have to cut off the power supply otherwise it will automatically start booting after it shuts down.

But I don't think ITE chip needs seperate driver so why does this happen?

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 12:05:44 am »
I have same problem on GA-X58A-UDR3R.

It just won't stay down!

All power options are disabled in bios and in OS (win 7 64).

Tried to put the system down from installed win7, from win7 booted from install CD (recovery) and from linux live CD (FC12). It will just come back to life after few seconds. After it starts up, holding down power for 4 seconds works (but resets bios sometimes, since it detects failed post).

I put all SATA controllers into AHCI mode, not RAID though.

I'll try playing with SATA settings, but if that really is a faulty chip, that sucks...

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 01:55:23 am »
littletiger1213, try clearing cmos and using exact same settings again. It seems to be working for me (on different board though).

See this thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,1569.0.html

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 11:35:48 pm »
Thanks, UnFleshedOne.

OK i managed to solve the problem with your tips.

What I did:

1. remove battery and put it back after 20 seconds or so..
2. flash the bios...
3. go to bios, disable all power related setup. If you are using Intel i7 CPU (my case here),go to the CPU setup and disable the automatic speed adjustment function called turbo boost!!! this is the key issue!!

Then the problem should be solved. I asked my friends working in another motherboard in China. To be fair, the problem is not necessarily caused by Gigabyte. Gigabyte and another popular motherboard brand use ITE (www.ite.com.tw, a Taiwanese chip maker) chip to monitor hardware status and temp. It also can adjust speed of your fans. However, i7 CPU's built-in adjustment doesn't seem to be working fine with ITE's chip. So if you enable i7's power management function ( Turbo Boost Technology) and use RAID, who requires ITE's chip to monitor status, you cannot shut down your PC properly....  there are los of similar problems for that brand as well. The solution is very simple, disable all power management related setup in BIOS. it can be solved although you won't be able to enjoy "turbo boos" from intel.