Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-B85M-D3H: SSD does not work.

Amajed

GA-B85M-D3H: SSD does not work.
« on: October 26, 2013, 08:39:44 am »
Hi :)

I bought GA-B85M-D3H and a couple of SAMSUNG 840 PRO SSD 128GB

they both seen in the BIOS of the motherboard, but when I wanted to start setup a fresh Windows 7 64bit installation the starting of the setup hangs for about 2 minutes , then after that the install process continue but you can't see nether of the SSD
I looked for them in the DISKPART (by clicking on Shift+F10) they both are not listed in the Disk list

I was on BIOS F4 , so I upgraded to F7 and still the same exact problem,
I tried to connect a HDD to see if it can be seen, and wow the installation does not hang of the start of the setup and the HDD is seen in the DISKPART without any problems

I thought the SSD (both of them) were dead or something, so I tested then on other system to see if they work, I guess you know the answer, they did work without problems at all ( on a Z77M-D3H-MVP motherboard)

so am I missing something that I need turn on/off in the GA-B85M-D3H BIOS ? cause its detected there but not in the DISKPART at all,
the weird part for me is the HDD works fine, but the SSD not, didn't know its even possible for something like this to happen if everything is working probably

what can I do to fix this ? thanks
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:30:02 am by Amajed »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-B85M-D3H: SSD does not work.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 01:55:23 pm »
Where do you have them connected to the black port or white port. The white ports are sata 3.

Plus how do you have them setup in the bios. They should be setup using AHCI.

The other thing is the sata cables some times don't click into the SSD right. You think they are connected but they are not.

Some of the cables with the clips don't go in all the way. Some of the SSD I have used I had to use the the cables without the clips.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Amajed

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 02:47:49 pm »
Thanks for the help, I have used all the white port to test them out, none worked for the SSDs
I have used the SATA cables that came with the MB, and have used an old one too,
They are connected as AHCI
I'm sure they are connected right, as they appear in BIOS by there full names without any problems
the only problem I have is when I start the windows installation from a USB drive the process hangs for about 2 mins, then when its back again and run the DISKPART they do not appear in it, the HDD does appear without problem so its not possible that the cable is broken (I unplugged the HDD and used its SATA Cable for the SSD)

in which case that the SSD doesn't work and the HDD does ? I've never faced a problem like that! and I've installed so many systems that I can't count, never seen a case like this before!

jst33

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 06:44:08 am »
Is your ssd  detected by bios ?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 06:45:21 am by jst33 »

Amajed

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 08:19:44 am »
Yes , both SSDs are detected by the BIOS

Thanks

jst33

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 07:52:24 pm »
Feed windows setup with:
Intel SATA Preinstall driver
(For AHCI / RAID Mode)
Note: Windows setup to read from USB thumb drive.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4567#dl

Download some live linux, like ubuntu, option "try" and check whether ssd`s are visible.

Amajed

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 09:14:50 pm »
Thanks

I will check with this drive and see, even thought it shouldn't be a driver problem since HDD is on the same port

also will try ubuntu live too