Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z87-HD3: Won't output to monitor with GPU installed

GA-Z87-HD3: Won't output to monitor with GPU installed
« on: November 02, 2013, 11:25:17 pm »
Hey there.

I just built a new rig with a GA-Z87-HD3, i5-4670k processor. The new machine posts, works perfectly ... but will not display output to the monitor in any fashion when a GPU (Asus GTX560Ti) is installed in the PCI-E slot, not even the motherboard's boot-up splash screen. My monitor just gets no signal. I managed to install an OS and get into the machine by removing the GPU, and if I set the BIOS settings to have the IGPU as the primary video output instead of the PCI-E slot, then it works. But it won't boot-up (or at least display any video) with the GPU installed.

I have made sure that the issue is not with the GPU, as I have tested it in other machines and it works fine. I have also tried other GPUs with this motherboard, and they do not work either. I downloaded the latest drivers for the GPU, and also flashed my BIOS to the latest version (F6). None of these efforts have had any effect.

Can you suggest anything I can try to get the video output working with a GPU please? Or do I have to assume I've been sent a faulty motherboard?

Re: GA-Z87-HD3: Won't output to monitor with GPU installed
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 12:24:23 pm »
You could start by DISABLING your iGPU completely in the BIOS. Should at least help your troubleshooting.

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 08:59:24 pm »
Hi Big Murray,

I suspect this is the same issue I have with my Z87N-Wifi (see my post : http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,13471.0.html).

I have two screens, but I can't boot unless a screen is connected to the IGP...

Disabling the IGP will not solve your issue - it didn't for me anyway, I had to clear the CMOS to get the PC working again.

From what I've read, it has something to do with the CSM/OpRom : needs to be set to 'Always' and 'Legacy'. It's a feature of UEFI bios / Secure Boot / Fast boot, all of which is not yet crystal clear to me... 

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 05:37:31 am »
I have the same problem...no graphics card will work on my board either.
Any luck?

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 01:05:32 pm »
I got this to work a few times, but it wasn't stable... I still had to plug a monitor to the IGP sometimes.
In the end I turned off secure boot and now my PC boots fine every time, with both monitors plugged into the GPU, none in the IGP.
Boot up time doesn't seem any longer or shorter, with the SSD the PC is up and ready from a cold boot under 10s.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 12:32:38 pm »
Hey there.

I just built a new rig with a GA-Z87-HD3, i5-4670k processor. The new machine posts, works perfectly ... but will not display output to the monitor in any fashion when a GPU (Asus GTX560Ti) is installed in the PCI-E slot, not even the motherboard's boot-up splash screen. My monitor just gets no signal. I managed to install an OS and get into the machine by removing the GPU, and if I set the BIOS settings to have the IGPU as the primary video output instead of the PCI-E slot, then it works. But it won't boot-up (or at least display any video) with the GPU installed.

I have made sure that the issue is not with the GPU, as I have tested it in other machines and it works fine. I have also tried other GPUs with this motherboard, and they do not work either. I downloaded the latest drivers for the GPU, and also flashed my BIOS to the latest version (F6). None of these efforts have had any effect.

Can you suggest anything I can try to get the video output working with a GPU please? Or do I have to assume I've been sent a faulty motherboard?

I have gigabyte z87x-d3h board and I have the exact same issua as you have. My motherboard is really picky about which GFX  card it accepts and there fore sends the output signal for the monitor.

I've tried SAPPHIRE HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 (11200-00), Club3D Radeon HD 7870 jokerCard(CGAX-7876DS), XFX 7950(FX-795A-TDFC) and Asus R9 290(R9290-4GD5). So far the mobo accepts only asus r9 290 reference card and xfx 7950. I couldn't get any output signal with both 78xx series cards. No matter what optios I changed from BIOS, the result was the same. Not even clearing cmos helped. BIOS version was at the time F7 and now I have F8, but I don't have none of those 78xx cards anymore so I can't test it out.

I've also tried disabling the IGP, set every PCI-E slot as primary GFX slot and try to install the card to every PCI-E 16x slot the board has. And I know both 78xx cards work fine since I used them with mu P55 lynnfield board just before moving for z87 board. Things used to be so much simpler when there was no IGP on processors, and these things should work out of the box like without any issues. Too much hassle for nothing and things that just have to work out of the box.
Gigabyte Z87X-D3H, 4x2GB Geil 2133Mhz RAM, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Asus R9 290, i7-4770K, Qnix 2710 LED @ 110Hz.