Official GIGABYTE Forum

Windows XP wont install with the B75M-D3H Mother Board

Windows XP wont install with the B75M-D3H Mother Board
« on: November 20, 2013, 07:47:58 am »
I have an upgrade version of Windows 8 that requires a preinstalled Win XP or Windows 7.  My Windows 7 disk is an upgrade from XP.  My XP is the full version but it won’t install.  I get to the “Windows is starting” screen and it locks up.  My MB is the B75M-D3H with I5-3350P LGA 1155 Intel processor, 2 sticks of matched 4GB Corsair DDR3 1600.  How can I get XP to install so I can upgrade to 8?  Any other suggestions?  Thanks.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Windows XP wont install with the B75M-D3H Mother Board
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 07:58:07 am »
Have you tried doing a clean install of Windows 8?

Yes, I did read your post but even with an upgrade version of Windows 8, if you are prepared to take some additional steps, you can clean install it.

I came across this article on the web: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/ss/windows-8-clean-install-part-1.htm which I have found useful and, more to the point, allows you to install windows 8 from scratch.

If you are not keen on doing this, have you tried removing some of the RAM from the system? If not remove one of the sticks and see if you can then get XP to install.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 04:05:27 pm »
Every example I have read says to do a clean install there must first be a previous version on the drive which is verified then completely deleted with the fresh install.  Removing a memory stick is a good idea worth trying.
On edit: Removed a memory stick but it still sticks at "Setup is Starting Windows". 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 04:39:54 pm by Johnasmith »

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 04:51:16 pm »
I found this article at MS Support http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310760  It seems the problem could be with the device driver on the MB.  There is a list of alternate drivers at the start of the XP install but I don't have a clue which to use.  Also, is it possible I need to upgrade the bios? 

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 06:18:33 pm »
More info: My bios version is F14 but the newest is F15 which is for "Enhanced SATA compatibility".  However, the label on my MB box says I have B75 rev 1.2 but Gigabytes site shows only rev 1.0 and 1.1.  Will it be safe to apply the F15 update to 1.2? 

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 07:12:54 pm »
F15 is latest BIOS for your motherboard and you can download it from here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4803#bios which should be for the Rev 1.2 version.

I don't know what sites you have been reading but I have done a clean install of Windows 8 on various systems using the information in my first post, without the need to install any other version of Windows. This is what we mean by a "clean" install. If you have to install from another version of the OS such as XP, then it is upgrading. And yes, my version of Windows 8 is also the upgrade version NOT the OEM version which does allow you to do a clean install.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 07:18:38 am by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 07:02:09 am »
I will try this.