Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-970A + AMD FX-8350 temps too high on idle

Gigabyte GA-970A + AMD FX-8350 temps too high on idle
« on: April 13, 2014, 03:32:34 pm »
Hi all,

I had a crap build last year where the company dissolved despite me paying for warranty so being unable to affford another full built PC I decided to do some research and ask someone to upgrade my pc instead but it is turning into a big saga.......

I changed the intel i5 processor for the AMD FX-8350 and bought the Gigabyte GA-970A to go with it on the advice of my techie, I am not used to AMD but thought nothing about it and just went ahead.

I also changed the Nvidia card from the 650Ti to a Asus GeForce 770 and at this stage no other upgrades were completed and after a clean install of windows 7 64bit I started downloading the Sims 3 base game and carefully testing the game before the next expansion pack was downloaded.

This game install process was around 4-5 days and the PC could have been starting to overheat them but I did not think to check.

When i got to the 10th expansion pack I opened the launcher to start a new game and the game lasted a few minutes before it shut down the PC completly.

I downloaded CPUI temp monitor and all temps were high. I turned off the PC and  waited until the next day to check temps at idle and they were still too high.

I have no idea why everything is overheating whether it is the motherboard, processor or graphics card or all three.

I also read somewhere that hotfixes and other actions have to be taken when using AMD processors in windows but am too underconfident to try that for fear of breaking something.Also mentioned were changing the value in the registry and parking cores to solve the problem which is well over my head.

I also read a lot about BIOS and while i was able to get into BIOS to check temps I would have no clue about changing BIOS for any reason.

I have also been reading about high frame rates when playing sims games as the game itself does not monitor vysinc or something which overworls the graphics card? so if I download a monitor that can restrict the frame rate would that help? or would such a restriction overheat the card?

Also i did not buy this combo to overclock I just use normal settings

the build so far is as follows:

Gigabyte GA-970A
AMD FX-8350
Samsung 250GB SSD 840 EVO - SSD
Asus GeForce 770 graphics card

EZCOOL NA-705B ATX CASE however I have purchased an Antec P280  case and an extra Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm)
EZCOOL PS-1000800W 80PLUS 12v rail PSU but have purchased Corsair RM Series RM 850 '80+ Gold' 850W Power Supply (CP-9020056-UK) (probably overkill-)

I have 8 BG RAM which seems okay but I am aftraid of damaging my new parts with overheating as I simply cannot affford to fork out again if parts get damaged.

Can anyone tell me how I can test the different hardware so I can tell if one part is faulty as everything is under warranty or am I doing something wrong with settings etc,  all drivers have been updated and in my current understanding I just do not know what to do next.

My techie is okay for upgrading the parts but not very useful when asking what the problems are and how to solve them so i am stabbing in the dark all the time trying to get answers for myself.

any help would be gratefully appreciated as all i want to do is get back to my game and enjoy that for a change without damaging anything along the way-)

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
Re: Gigabyte GA-970A + AMD FX-8350 temps too high on idle
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 12:00:32 am »
Under Windows 7 the core parking is done properly when you install the KB patches listed in my signature ,those will optimize the AMD FX CPU-s ,but it is has nothing to do with  overheating.

You talk about overheating but you say no info about it.
What are the temps for the CPU and GPU in idle ?!
Tell us what temps you see in BIOS as well.

What Hardware Revision is the board you are using.
Gigabyte boards have a hardware revision printed on the lower left edge of the board along the PCI-E slots.

If the shutdown is caused by the GPU it should be seen in the Event View logs as a video driver report.

For that build a quality 550W - 600W power supply is ok ,you may need more if you do SLI/Crossfire

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:04:04 am by Vezina »
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 08:29:15 am »
Hi Vezina,

Thanks for the response I copied down the temps as follows,

HW monitor heading on Easy tune fan CPU 1112 C temperature 72C in red

Fan system 1 says 0 the CPU 89C in red

fan system 2 says 0 the second system 25 in blue

fan power 1 says 0

from right to left on easy tune is CPU tab under cpu tab under clock heading saysCPU 4029.62MHz but keeps going higher and lower BCLK 201.76Mz HT Link 201.53MHz multiplier 20.00

under tuner header frequency tab CPU 4000.00 MHz target 4031.30MHz voltage header CPUVscore +0.0000V target same as CPUVscore GFX score same as CPU DRAM voltage 1.50000V target same under graphics tab core 540MHz target same memory 3505MHz target same,

under smart graph header blue DOT shows fan PWM 37% RPM CPU temp 20C the a yellow dot on graph fan pwm 100% RPM CPU temp 65C

in the BIOS I found the cores at 48% I am not sure of any other temps as I was not sure what I was supposed to be looking at.

My tech guy will come today or sometime this week to fit everything in the new case and add the extra fan and new PSU and I will ask for the hardware revision you mention as I was not aware of that before and will not open the case myself as I dont know what I am doing. What is the hardware revision board?

I am just trying to find out how I can correctly make sure eveything is working right  and connect all the dots as it is very difficuly to try find out if the motherboard, processor or graphics card could be at fault.

Having checked the event viewer I have loads of warnings and some critical ones stating that the PC shut down without warning but no other further info I understand one recorded message that is repeated says event 41 kernel power and shutdown problems? could you tell me which header to look under in the event viewer log and how it would be described in the log if it the shutdown was related to the GPU or related hardware specifically then if it was not listed in the event viewer log would that mean my shutdowns were not related to the motherboard?

I will download the KB patches I just wasnt sure about them and did wonder if they contributed anything towards any of the problems I am experiencing but as you say not I can tick that off my list as well-)

Again thank you for taking the time to help me it is much appreciated.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 01:59:03 am »
I see you are using a Cooler Master cooler for your CPU. Just make sure it is seating right on the CPU.

Plus when you put the paste on the CPU, you only need a little bit just enough to cover the CPU.

If you put much you might not be getting good surface contact between the CPU & the Heatsink.

Here are the Hot fixes for the Bulldozer CPU's http://www.abithelp.com/nvidia/topic1612.html
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 02:08:14 am by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

kosobai

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 07:39:35 am »
As an aside, W7 parking issues also affect Thuban's core performance boosting. This issue is fixed in W8/8.1.

If the CPU is overheating at idle, I'd say that either you are using the computer inside an oven, or the CPU cooler fan isn't working, or the heat sink is poorly seated.

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 12:39:57 am »
The W7 patches can be found at techpowerup website.
I don t know about Thubans ,but the FX based CPU-s and APU-s work just fine with the 2 patches under Windows 7

Windows 8.x is something that should be avoided as under 1% performance increases in best case scenario ,when the OS is freshly installed , it s not enough .
It s just an OS ported from tablet like devices to PC-s ,so Balmer to make some money the easy way ,why develop and finish a real desktop  OS when you can do it faster.
Ugly and bulky and full of issues with problematic driver support like it s Vista precursor.:)
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 09:24:26 pm »
I have had problems cooling the  amd fx81/83xx series with just the cooler master 212 if run to max and if overclocked even a little bit. I have scanned your information and using the ez tune utility it appeared as though it is overclocking the cpu.  I got rid of easy tune long ago and keep trying it as i continue to get gigabyte boards (from ga790fxaUD4, 890fxaUD5 and third 990fxaUD3) I have used amd gpu and cpus Phenom II 965 and up and thuban version 1090T all well overclocked and able to do fine with the cooler master but as i moved to the Fx series i find i need the all in one type liquid coolers and i only overclocked a bit over 4.2gz(8120) for my normal type maxed out gpu and CPU stress tests or high setting games like far cry 3 or Hitman series etc.  and, i do not use the bottom level of the latest all in one liquid coolers either, just wait for the sales . i would like to get the big radiator 100i or comparable but have settled for the 2nd best on sale and find it is OK but can not max out CPU overclocking.  a thermal take performer 3 would probably work for a mild overclock and no overclock for highest setting gaming.
i use afterburner for my gpu and have for years. it is the best bar none, even though i have a sapphire hd7950 oc gz which comes with Trixx  a great tool, i stick with afterburner to control temps and fan perfectly
i dont like the eztuner at all, too small and very hard to manipulate the slider bars , i do all my stuff in the bios and have profiles set, easy, no confusion and no crashes after it is all keyed in. i tried the amd overdrive for CPU set up and overclocking but do not prefer software oc.
if the temps you show were correct you are way too hot.
i have one super hot running (supposedly according to reports)  8120 and manually overclock it to 4.2gz in bios with the performer series of thermal take 2.0 and never see temps over 140°F. not sure about all the centigrade numbers. with the cooler master 212 evo plus i couldnt over clock at all and the computer would overheat shut down all the time. i had to make a change . the 8150 gets to 4.6 i think before the heat can make for shutdowns. the Vishera is a far more capable and slightly cooler upgrade, but , all of these should be idling very low temps over ambient. heat sensors on those things are odd at idle and seem to level out as they work upward.
my 8350 i keep cooler at max stress tests for over an hour but use another ,corsair 80i aio liquid . i could not run it with the 212 any version but stock speed for it is 4.0/4.2gz.. i have 3 or 4 of those and other good large heat sink air coolers. the only ones which may work are those over $100 giant dual heat sinks that weigh  in at 2+lbs. or however much they tip the scales at.  800gms or something
they are good cpus , do run hotter than the phenom and thubans normally. i have seated and played with dozens of heat sink air and fan coolers with double the fan set ups and am tending to go more for the liquid, either all in one, there are a good number of really good ones now from a few good name makers asustek seems to have put out a design many stay close to, cooler master makes a couple, too, as does Silverstone 'Tundra' i believe is the model and perform extremely well in reviews but cost. then there are the Thermaltake which also preform well and do go on sale or did for significant savings  and put a great liquid cooler in the same range as a fair air cooler. may have been at model change time, but for $50 or less a good liquid cooler for mild over clock or stock fx series
as someone noted, if you are overheating or idling very high temp then the heat sink may not be seated properly.  even the basic amd fx or thuban small heatsink/fan combo will keep the processors at suitably low temps stock and idle.
i just became partial to the all in one liquid coolers once i moved from amd phenom/thuban to the fx series. i do overclock but not to stay at max oc. i only go for max as i do the testing then over-clock as needed for tasks usually leaving plenty of headroom so the CPU lasts longer than a few months.
that is for the 8core fx , i understand the 4 and 6core may have better heat control capacity with air coolers. (which is not to say that there arent good air coolers for the fx series 8core chips, there are.just for bang for buck i picked the aio liquid after years of being a cooler master 212 advocate)

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 12:20:39 am »
I have had problems cooling the  amd fx81/83xx series with just the cooler master 212 if run to max and if overclocked even a little bit.

That is all I use and I have never had a problem with those coolers. I have had almost every FX CPU's from 6 core to 8 cores.

At this time I'm running a 9370 and it is running 25c at idle. Plus a lot of times if I changing CPU's I just clean the paste off of the CPU only.

I'll leave the paste on the cooler. You only need enough paste to fill in the cracks in the metal on the cooler and CPU.

That is all the paste is use for to fill in the cracks so the air will not get trap in there to cause hot air. You need some metal to metal contact.

Like I said in my last post if you have to much paste you will not get the metal to metal contact.

Oh one other thing is AMD doesn't park CPU's that is Intel i7 thing.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 12:27:11 am by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

thexfile

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 06:25:45 am »
MASSCOOL G751 Shin-Etsu thermal paste always works good for me. It's also electrically non-conductive.
Code: [Select]
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S35TB4
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 07:07:51 am by thexfile »
AMD FX-8350 Vishera
GA-990FXA-UD7 (rev. 1.1) (BIOS: F11d)
Corsair Vengeance(LP) 16GB 1600MHz
GV-R795WF3-3GD (BIOS: F3)
ADATA XPG SX910 512GB (1)
SanDisk Extreme SSD 480GB (2)
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250
Windows 7 Ult. 64bit
Corsair Pro Series HX750-Watt 80+ Gold