Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z87P-D3: Radeon GPU not starting

GA-Z87P-D3: Radeon GPU not starting
« on: February 09, 2014, 07:59:55 pm »
Hello!

I purchased the motherboard (Z87P-D3), i5 4670k and 2x4gb kingston 1600mhz memory. I decided to delay the purchase of GPU and went with my old Radeon HD 6850. Though the computer is just refusing to start up. All I can hear is a beep and black screen.

Problem:
1. Computer starts.
2. Fans are spinning.
3. After a while, single short beep (Everything is okay -beep).
4. Nothing. Black screen. No POST.

Weirdly, when placed with really old radeon card or nvidia card things are working differently.. Additional information:
1. Computer starts.
2. Fans are spinning.
3. A lot faster single beep. It just beep okay a lot faster with cards mentioned.
4. Motherboard logo.
5. Windows starts up.

I tried multiple different GPUs like Nvidia Geforce 8800 gts (3 different ones, two booted and one was just dead), New Nvidia -GPU and multiple different Radeon HD -serie GPUs. All radeons were supposedly working, and mine was tested on another computer and confirmed working. Also note that when it worked with different card, windows was reinstalled along bios updates, but it didn't work either. Also tried forcing it to boot using the PCI-Ex16, but no.

Memories are working fine, even did multiple tests by removing them and removing one etc.. Computer is running fine with the onboard graphics.

So is my motherboard just racist towards radeon products? I couldn't be arsed to send the motherboard back so I would be extremely happy, if you guys could share some knowledge. will edit post, if I forgot something.

Edit. Also purchased new PSU, but nothing.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:13:00 pm by Akhillee »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-Z87P-D3: Radeon GPU not starting
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 01:22:24 am »
Go into the bios and in Bios feature look for the Boot Mode Selection Try and change that to legacy see what happens. Yes I understand you older cards boot but maybe the ATI doesn't like UEFI.

UEFI and Legacy Allows booting from operating systems that support legacy option ROM or UEFI option
ROM.   (Default)
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.