Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P55-UD6 Will not boot from DVD Drive(s)

ErnieK

GA-P55-UD6 Will not boot from DVD Drive(s)
« on: March 01, 2010, 03:22:09 pm »
I have a problem as described in subject.
New build. Last time I built from scratch was over 4 years ago and things have moved on a wee bit.
GA-P55-UD6 - Intel i5-750 Processor (LGA1156) - 4GB (2x2GB [1330MHz) paired Kingston Ram) - 1.5 TB WD hard (sata) drive - 2 x Samsung DVD SATA drives)
HDD connected to TOP BLUE rear connector on mobo.
DVD drive 1 connected to TOP Blue front connector
DVD drive 2 Connected to 2nd TOP rear connector

Put together and installed Windows XP Prof without problems.

Booted with Windows XP disk and installed without a hitch.

Hard Drive and DVD drive(s) seen in BIOS.
Boot into windows and Hard drive and both DVD drives seen.
NO Floppy drive.

After installing Windows I then installed the drivers from the supplied disk.
Sata drivers were installed at this time and NOT prior to windows installation.
NOT by pressing F6 during set-up as no floppy drive and USB pen drive not seen at that time.
(I had previously tried to create a bootable Pen Drive as per instructions)

I have been up and running for about a week now with PC running very slow and "Hanging" a lot,  and so I am wanting to run full hardware diagnostic \ stress test before I proceed to dual boot with windows 7. It was\is at this point that my problem reared its ugly head. When I tried to boot the PC with a bootable MEMTEST CD (Vers 3.4 & 4.0) I am left with a flashing cursor saying BOOT FROM CD\DVD_ at this point the PC just sits there doing nothing. I then checked with Acronis TI 2010 emergency disk and my Windows XP disk with the same results. All of these disks work fine in my laptop.

Tried pressing F12 and selecting CD as first boot. Entered BIOS and changed boot order. Same result.

When using (either) DVD drive in windows there is a time lag of a few seconds before they actually kick in and run, as this is the first time I have used SATA DVD drives I am putting this down (wrongly  ???) them being sata as opposed to IDE.

Conclusion:
Prior to installing the Motherboard drives I could boot from DVD. After this I cannot.
BIOS shows DVD drives (which are both SATA) as set to IDE.

Hope someone can help this poor bewildered person
Ernie

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 03:32:28 pm by ErnieK »

ErnieK

Re: GA-P55-UD6 Will not boot from DVD Drive(s) -- NOW SOLVED
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 01:31:23 pm »
 ;D SOLVED
yep! I am pleased with myself. SUCCESS. This after faffin about with various settings for about 3 hours.

To achieve a boot-able CD\DVD drive when TWO (2) drives are installed as described above do the following:

1. Boot into BIOS (CMOS) by pressing the DEL key.
2. Go to STANDARD FEATURES.
3. Arrow down to the DVD drive on OUTER BLUE sata port  (SLAVE) and set as follows.
          IDE CHANNEL 0 - MANUAL (change from auto)
         LEAVE ACCESS set at AUTO

Save and reboot to test with any boot-able CD\DVD disk.

Also found link for extended warranty ( http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,540.0.html which leads onto this http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,533.0.html ) and sent of the mail. Received a reply that it was in hand and that I would receive certificate in due course. It pays to look back at older posts and threads.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 01:53:43 pm by ErnieK »

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
Re: GA-P55-UD6 Will not boot from DVD Drive(s)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 10:26:33 am »
Glad you got it sorted  :)
There's no place like ::1