Official GIGABYTE Forum

how to overclock

jarp53

how to overclock
« on: February 22, 2014, 10:22:25 pm »
can somebody guide me as to how over clock my i7 2600k on a z68x ud3h b3 ; i have 8gb of ddr3  and 700 watts of  power; i would like to take it to 4.0, i have this rig on a test board bench so i think i don't have to worry about over heating; unfortunately quick boost don't work i'll have to do it manually   

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: how to overclock
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 07:10:00 am »
As you have a Sandy Bridge CPU check these posts as they should point you in the right direction:

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,4072.0.html

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,8039.0.html

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

jarp53

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 05:42:46 pm »
thanks just what i was looking for

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 06:33:32 pm »
If you have any specific questions once you start tweaking then I'm sure that someone here, or over on TweakTown, will be able to help you out. Good luck with the O/C and don't forget to tell us how you get on.

ps moved this into the correct section of the forum for you.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 06:34:40 pm by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

jarp53

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 07:03:22 pm »
well i was kind of intimidated with  the advance procedures so i just went into touch bios, overclock, advance frequency, cpu clock ratio and raise it to 40 ; after a few days of running smooth i raised it to 42 and it's been working ok; i really like my pc taking less than a minute to boot, and my apps and games respond very fast and of course the web just flies; i think this board does all the tweaking automatically ; so is there any problems or dangers in me keeping my cpu running that fast all the time?   

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 07:33:11 pm »
Hi there,

the only problem that you are liable to encounter is mainly one of heat as the CPU will run hotter the more it is overclocked. This is especially true if you are using an app such as TouchBios as it will usually raise the CPU voltage higher than might be necessary for the O/C to be stable.

Now that you have a stable 4.2GHz it would be worth checking the settings & voltages being used by TouchBios and then manually setting them in the BIOS. You can then start lowering the CPU voltage to find the lowest that your system will run at and remain solid. This will lower the chance of heat damage to the CPU and will also allow you to possibly raise the speed of the CPU higher.

You don't say if you are running the stock Intel cooler or a 3rd party one but even on a test bench you should carefully observe the CPU Temps whilst testing/running as this, along with too much voltage are the real killers.

jarp53

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 01:30:07 am »
i'm have a Zalman Max  and in touch bios under pc status  it shows  VCore 1.00 V    DDR15V 1.50V   system temp 34; and CPU temp 26