Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z87-hd3 Realtek analog sound just stopped working - not plugged in

Hello.
This is my problem, after 2 months when I first installed my board the analog output just stopped working. The operating system detects my chipset correctly, the digital output shows like it's working ( although I don't have anything connected to it). The same seems to have happened to analog input.
I am using both windows and Max OSX 10.9 (It's a hackintosh). Sound was working fine in both until yesterday, when I finally decided to remove another older soundcard I was using for its firewire port (Creative SB Audigy 2) and put a regular pci firewire board in instead.
After booting, the analog device showed as not plugged in in the windows sound devices list (same for playback devices and recording devices) and in Mac OSX 10.9, when the "internal sound" is selected, there is no playback.
This is  the same for both the rear panel and the front panel which is connected to the board via a cable.
Any ideas on what is wrong and how I can fix it?
I tried going back to F6 BIOS version but it didn't change anything.
The only thing I haven't tried yet is booting from a linux mint live dvd to see if the chipset is recognized and working normally. I will do that tonight.
Please provide any help you can on verifying the chipset is still working or not, so I can return it to the store and ask for a replacement if that is the case.
Greetings,
John

Re: Z87-hd3 Realtek analog sound just stopped working - not plugged in
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 07:07:51 am »
hello all.
I finally gave up and took the board to the retailer. He checked it and replaced it. I am guessing the amplification circuit was damaged and that was probably why the card was detected, digital signal seemed to work but no analog sound was produced.
Not much help to me, but I guess if you are going to take it to the retailer for replacement, the sooner you know the better it is.
Good luck to all.