Official GIGABYTE Forum

change "To be filled by O.E.M." to our real Serial Number

Pulytr

change "To be filled by O.E.M." to our real Serial Number
« on: March 01, 2014, 03:47:15 pm »
Hi,

we are small company and we would like change on our made desktop computers serial number in BIOS. Is this possible ? When I WMIC bios get serialnumber we just had "To be filled by O.E.M." We would like change this to our inventory and audit process identical to our database.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: change "To be filled by O.E.M." to our real Serial Number
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 04:28:55 pm »
Which one are talking about the windows serial number or the mother boards serial number. Key or serial # that you use to install windows.

It is tide to the mother board and if you try to change it. You could screw up the Validation on that OEM copy.

Plus I could be wrong but don't think you could change either one of them.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Pulytr

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 04:45:12 pm »
offcourse motherboard SN and I don't know what you mean to screw up the validation. First of all we use MDT to deployment windows and OS what we are use is W7 Enterprise. Because we use KMS server an pay for software assurance I don't care about windows serial number.

In the past we only buy Intel motherboard and they have a software Intel integration toolkit for it. And we use Windows PE feature to set OUR OEM serial number. http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-015474.htm

NOW that Intel has stopped producing boards we have to find a replacement. If it can not GigaByte, so we will look elsewhere. It's simply

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 08:34:34 pm »
Yes did some searching and I did find Intel did that. I don't think you will find that in any other board.

All I can say is email all the mother board support. Ask if their board supports this.

I have rma some boards to Gigabyte and they ask for the serial # on the side of the PCIe slot.

I use W7 Enterprise too. I was talking a OEM copy of windows that you can only  use on one machine.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 08:37:43 pm by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 09:57:31 pm »
The S/N of the MB is tied to the BIOS.  Not all manufacturers populate this field.  In some instances flashing the BIOS (upgrading) can erase this number if it were populated previously.  This is up to the manufacturer. There might be additional fields depending on the OEM.

Its not serious, unless as dmdilks accurately points out the OEM uses this for activation or validation.  Not windows...  but other preinstalled software or hardware.  If none exists many don't bother populating this field and thus, its as well as others can be empty as you describe.  

Asus motherboards come with this information populated.  It can't be changed unless you use an editor and reflash the BIOS chip.   Ask me how I know.....  That's why I'm here.  See my sig...  done with Asus and their single BIOS BS.  

CodeRush is the man - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1726429&highlight=editor

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 10:12:32 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

Pulytr

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 06:19:52 pm »
really nothing ? Gigabyte motherboard looks good, but this is really problem. How many motherboards we have to buy, we become OEM partner?

Why is it such a big deal ? ???

Perhaps it would be better if we buy intel NUC  :P  Gigabyte does not look as partner for the corporate sector and we do not want to buy overpriced finished assembly like HP, IBM, DELL  with you buy with serial number  ;D

gats

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 08:04:30 pm »
I'm in the exactly same situation of Pulytr. (small company, switching from Intel to Gigabytes motherboard, want to modify S/N (OEM computer builder))

Two years after, nothings comes up?

My investigation leads me on this web site...

http://businesscenter.ca.gigabyte.com/default.htm

If you clic on "Support" / "Integrator Tool Kit", it ask for username/password. I don't know if this "integrator tool kit" will do the same as Intel Integrator toolkit (ITK). If then, I assume this is for computer's OEM builder (not for modo constructor, Gigabyte in this case)

Anyone (OEM Builders) have ever go thru this?

"To be filled by O.E.M." instead of real serial number is very annoying for computer inventory ;(

Sorry for my poor english