Official GIGABYTE Forum

GTX 780 Ti Ghz (GV-N78TGHZ-3GD) Unstable, crashing, and freezing

Hello GIGABYTE

There are tons of reviews and forums all over the internet of people having the same issue with this card and also the OC version. Its unstable, causes crashes. I currently own 2 of these and I know that one of the cards for a fact is rock solid and works very well and is stable. However the second I bought is very unstable and causes all of the symptoms that almost every person is having with this graphics card.  Is GIGABYTE aware of the instability of this product and is there anything being done to remedy it? There a tons of reviews of these cards all over the net with the exact same issue. In my case, I did everything from wiping windows 7 and re-installing a clean copy to flashing my motherboard BIOS to latest version, re-installing different versions of the nvidia drivers and nothing worked.

Here is a good forum post on this exact same problem from someone else:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/688127/geforce-700-600-series/update-gtx-780ti-artifacting-crashing-gygabyte-windforce-gv-n78toc-3gd-oc-bad-batch-/1/

Here is another one:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1461220/gigabyte-780-ti-ghz-edition-crashes/40#post_21885085

I am 100% certain that this has to do with a bad batch of cards from GIGABYTE. Would be nice if we can get an official word from GIGABYTE on this, no shame here guys, just admit it if you made a blunder so that we are all on the same page and know for a fact that its your product that's faulty so that we're not all sitting here pulling our hair out thinking its our PC's that's the problem when its not and running the risk of trying risky things and actually damaging a well stable and working PC over a product that you sold us faulty out of the box.

Intel i7-3770k Ivy Bridge@4.6GHz 1.37v
ASUS Maximus V Formula BIOS 1903
G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1600
SLi GTX 780 Ti GHz WindForce x3
Thermalright Silver Arrow SB- E Extreme
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SATAIII SSD (OS)
Crucial M4 128GB SATAIII SSD (Games)
Corsair Ax1200i PSU
HAF 932 Case (very well c

Re: GTX 780 Ti Ghz (GV-N78TGHZ-3GD) Unstable, crashing, and freezing
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 10:43:00 pm »
Hello,

I also have purchased one of Gigabyte's 780 Ti Windforce 3x cards (GV-N78TOC-3GD) and am experiencing the same issues as the OP in this forum. Scavenging the internet I can see that the problem does not seem to be a few a series of flukes but rather quite an endemic one. I have heard something on the order of 4 out of 5 faulty cards and retailers receiving countless RMA's of Gigabyte's 780 Ti's. 

I would like to see Gigabyte to take this faulty series off the market so that others would not have to go through the tedious and pointless exercise of returning items.

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 05:43:45 pm »
Hello,

I also have purchased one of Gigabyte's 780 Ti Windforce 3x cards (GV-N78TOC-3GD) and am experiencing the same issues as the OP in this forum. Scavenging the internet I can see that the problem does not seem to be a few a series of flukes but rather quite an endemic one. I have heard something on the order of 4 out of 5 faulty cards and retailers receiving countless RMA's of Gigabyte's 780 Ti's. 

I would like to see Gigabyte to take this faulty series off the market so that others would not have to go through the tedious and pointless exercise of returning items.

GIGABYTE will never admit they made an error with these. Best to just not waste your time and go with EVGA. I got 2 replacements for my faulty GIGAs***E card and both had the same problem. No excuses GIGABYTE. You are selling us $730 dollar paperweights.
Intel i7-3770k Ivy Bridge@4.6GHz 1.37v
ASUS Maximus V Formula BIOS 1903
G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1600
SLi GTX 780 Ti GHz WindForce x3
Thermalright Silver Arrow SB- E Extreme
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SATAIII SSD (OS)
Crucial M4 128GB SATAIII SSD (Games)
Corsair Ax1200i PSU
HAF 932 Case (very well c

OCGuy

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 03:13:34 pm »
Hi, sorry but I have bad news for you.

A LOT of the Gigabyte 780TI GHz have this problem. There are several threads around the web:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/688127/update-gtx-780ti-artifacting-crashing-gygabyte-windforce-gv-n78toc-3gd-oc-bad-batch-/ http://www.overclock.net/t/1461220/gigabyte-780-ti-ghz-edition-crashes
http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/grafikkarten/325311-gigabyte-gtx-780-ti-ghz-edition-probleme.html

The real bad thing is that Gigabyte just won't admit that there is a problem (most of the time RMA is not accepted). I also had a pointless discussion with the Gigabyte support.

The only solution is that you modify the BIOS youself (you are losing the warranty!) as described in the links above. If you have the possibility change your card with an other brand (EVGA or whatever) - it seems that they are working as promised.

have a nice day

Gaski

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 12:43:58 pm »
Do they actually pay attention to these forums?

I'm also having the same issues, only got the card last week. Already been refused RMA at Overclockers UK which has coat me an extra £11 in postage and packaging.

XLASH

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 04:16:57 pm »
Hello all,

I'm a French dev with electronics / ASM knowledge and i've got the 780Ti gigabyte 1085Mhz edition too.
I've got problems with it under BF4 and another games. Card is unstable, crash, ...

Boring, i decided to fix it !

=======================================================================================================
NEW BIOS FOR (( ONLY )) THE GIGABYTE 780 TI 1085 MHZ EDITION == (( GV-N78TGHZ-3GD )) REFERENCE

######################################################
# GVN78TGHZ3GD/XLASHV1 BIOS For 780ti 1085Ghz Gigabyte
# Made by XLASH (c) - http://xlashdev.fr

# Follow me on : http://on.fb.me/1oBysRk

This BIOS was made to enhance stability of the card

# CHANGELOG #
- Fix applied on "Boost Table", now working at max freq w/ CLK38
- P00 profile changed and max SYS/L2C values are modified for the max FreqBoost at 1215/1228.5 Mhz
- Max voltage on card == 1.2120v
- Max Boost Frequence was set to 1215 Mhz for approx.75/79° max temp and approx.55/60% fans
- Power delivery on card was changed with +/- 5%
- States for P00 / P02 / P05 & P08 was now fixed :
.Clock PWR for P00 / P02 / P05 & P08 was changed for 340

/// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// ///
We Will Not Be Responsible for Any Damages or Losses Occurred by the application of this BIOS
/// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// /// ///

* Batch commands to applied it :

nvflash --protectoff
choose the card (0) or (1)
nvflash -4 -5 -6 -i0 or -i1 GV.N78TGHZ.3GD.XLASH.V1.rom
reboot when done

Enjoy ;)

DOWNLOAD LINK : https://mega.co.nz/#!fhwXXJ4L!EJ3SjAUT1p-Ha9z4vMPYoMLKQt8j38MsOBVQfsw9Fm0

=======================================================================================================

//

I've just made a new bios for it and fix it.

The BIOS was based on the original F2 with some modifications to obtain an 1250 FBOOST for 1.21v == STABLE ==

This bios was bench under 3DMARK, 3DMARK11, VALLEY BENCH, UNREAL ENGINE 4 BENCH, STRESS TEST, ..
GAMES : BF4, METRO2033 REDUX, EVIL WITHIN, GRID, SHADOW OF MORDOR, ....

many many hours with (( NO CRASHES ))

//

== HOPE THIS CAN HELP YOU. LET ME KNOW IF IT'S OK FOR ALL ==

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 05:00:19 pm »
HOLY SH*&%$T !!!!!!!!!
XLASH Bios worked flawlessly for me !!!
Got exacly the same crashing and freezing problems with my GTX780ti GHz Edition.
Now completly solved by XLASH Bios update!

Thank you very much M8 !
Fixing Sh$*t Gigabyte coudn't.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 07:35:45 am »
Hello XLASH

you say that you made a new bios (v2 maybe ?) but ther is only a link to downlaod your first Bios (who, by the way, work perfectly).

could you give us the new link for the new Bios (1250 FBOOST for 1.21v == STABLE ==)

thank you so much for your work